|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could Apartheid supporters not plead according to Tutu?
(a) No contest.
2. Where was the first TRC meeting held?
(a) East London.
(d) Cape Town.
3. What does Tutu say of the politicians who crafted the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act?
(a) They were going too fast.
(b) They were self interested.
(c) They were white.
(d) They were saints.
4. Why was the TRC center in Eastern Cape?
(a) The first race wars were fought there.
(b) It was cheaper than other options.
(c) There was no room in Cape Town.
(d) Security was easier to manage.
5. What does Tutu say happened to black people injured on the side of the road when an ambulance for whites arrived in the story he recounted?
(a) They were killed.
(b) They were helped.
(c) They were run over.
(d) They were ignored.
6. How old was Nelson Mandela in 1994?
(a) 56 years old.
(b) 66 years old.
(c) 75 years old.
(d) 76 years old.
7. What does Tutu say was the main weakness of the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act bill?
(a) The judges were all black.
(b) It only targeted whites.
(c) Forgiveness was granted immediately.
(d) It couldn't impose fines.
8. What does Tutu think would have happened if the prime minister had not rescinded the ban of reform organizations?
(a) A victory for the white parties.
(b) A large turn out of voters.
(d) A bloodbath.
9. What type of crimes were covered by the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act ?
(b) Bank fraud.
(d) Politically motivated crimes.
10. Who was the chief of the Inkatha Freedom Party in 1994?
(a) Desmond Tutu.
(b) Robert de Verk.
(c) Nelson Mandela.
(d) Mangosuthu Buthelezi.
11. What other approach, beside trials, does Tutu believe was not the right one either?
(a) Blanket amnesty.
(c) Death squads.
12. What did Tutu grow to accept as a child?
(a) His father was white.
(c) His faith.
(d) His race.
13. What South African town exploded in violence in 1996?
(b) East London.
(d) Cape Town.
14. What was the TRC according to Tutu in "Chapter Four, What About Justice"?
(a) Truth about Race Crimes.
(b) Truth and Race Commission.
(c) Truth and Revenge Commission.
(d) Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
15. What does Tutu say of the whites that came forward to the TRC?
(a) They were scared.
(b) They were remarkable.
(c) They were cowards.
(d) They were coerced.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tutu in 1994?
2. Tutu described the struggle for racial equality as being a ______________.
3. Under what conditions were the trials under the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act held?
4. What does Tutu assert sometimes happened to those pleading guilty under the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act?
5. Who asked Tutu to head the Truth and Reconciliation Commission?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)