|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did people fear would happen on the day of the first election that allowed black people to vote?
(a) White intimidation.
(c) No turn out.
(d) A celebration.
2. How did Tutu find the work at the head of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission?
(c) Difficult and exhilarating.
3. How many people sent their statement that they wanted recorded?
4. Tutu said that he didn't seek a permit for ______________.
(a) Staying in his diocese.
(c) Taking a wife.
(d) Travelling to Oslo.
5. What did people with ties to the segregationist regime get for their confession?
(a) The right to leave the country
(c) Their lives spared.
(d) A light sentence.
6. What was the TRC in charge of providing according to "Chapter Six, A Victim Hearing"?
(a) Power to black people.
(b) A scapegoat.
(c) A complete picture of human rights violations.
(d) The illusion of fairness.
7. What did Tutu first suggest that TRC members do before abandoning the idea in face of protests?
(a) Appear before the TRC.
(b) Resign their party affiliations.
(c) Swear on the Bible.
8. What does Tutu express about Mandela even when he was in prison?
(a) He was silenced.
(b) He was a dramatic force.
(c) He was controling the ANC.
(d) He was forgotten.
9. What part of the New Testament does Tutu say the supporters of Apartheid chose to ignore?
(a) The believers' pledge to attend church.
(b) The endorsement of the infinite worth of human beings.
(c) The diversity of human beings.
(d) The commandment about killing one another.
10. How long did Mandela spend in prison?
(a) 32 years.
(b) 27 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 5 years.
11. What was the TRC according to Tutu in "Chapter Four, What About Justice"?
(a) Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
(b) Truth about Race Crimes.
(c) Truth and Revenge Commission.
(d) Truth and Race Commission.
12. Who won the 1994 presidential election?
(a) Robert Butha.
(b) Nelson Mandela.
(c) Mangosuthu Buthelezi.
(d) Demond Tutu.
13. Where did Tutu decide to vote for the first election open to black people?
(a) East London.
(b) Cape Town.
(c) A ghetto township.
14. What does Tutu say happened on the first day of the TRC hearings?
(a) A judge fainted.
(b) White men cried.
(c) A bomb scare.
(d) A black woman died.
15. What does Tutu say was not required in order to plead guilty under the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act?
(b) To be a white Christian.
(c) Knowing others who committed crimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tutu marvel at in "Chapter Five, Up and Running"?
2. What does Tutu say of the whites that came forward to the TRC?
3. What prime minister rescinded the ban of political organization like the ANC?
4. When did the women become eligible for ordination in South Africa?
5. What other approach, beside trials, does Tutu believe was not the right one either?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)