|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many goals did Tutu set for himself after his ordination in 1986?
(a) Nine goals.
(b) Four goals.
(c) Two goals.
(d) Three goals.
2. Who was the chief of the Inkatha Freedom Party in 1994?
(a) Desmond Tutu.
(b) Mangosuthu Buthelezi.
(c) Nelson Mandela.
(d) Robert de Verk.
3. How many judges did Mandela have to nominate for the TRC?
(a) 12 judges.
(b) 19 judges.
(c) 15 judges.
(d) 18 judges.
4. Who does Tutu state was the "high priest" of South Africa segregation?
(a) Dr. Henry Vanderbilt.
(b) Nelson Mandela.
(c) Desmond Tutu.
(d) Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd.
5. What does Tutu state the ANC was not exempt of in 1994?
(a) White members.
(c) Leader struggle.
(d) Splinter groups focused on revenge.
6. What was December 16th designated as prior to 1994?
(a) Racist day.
(b) Apartheid day.
(c) Racial equality day.
(d) Dingaan's Day.
7. Who composed the ANC as of 1994?
(a) One thousand people.
(b) One black and one white party.
(c) Two ethnic groups.
(d) A large coalition of political groups.
8. When were the black people of South Africa allowed to vote for the first time according to "Chapter One, The Prelude"?
(a) April 27, 1994.
(b) April 17, 1994.
(c) March 28, 1994.
(d) April 27, 1994.
9. What does Tutu express he and the TRC had to constantly emphasize?
(a) They were not conducting a witch hunt.
(b) They were only prosecuting whites.
(c) They were racially blind.
(d) Blacks were honest.
10. What political event does Tutu speculate could have helped prevent bloodshed?
(a) The rise of capitalism.
(b) The disbanding of the ANC.
(c) The rise of Mandela.
(d) The fall of communism.
11. What was Tutu's rank in the Church?
12. What was the date of the first apartheid legislation in South Africa?
13. What did Tutu first suggest that TRC members do before abandoning the idea in face of protests?
(a) Swear on the Bible.
(b) Appear before the TRC.
(d) Resign their party affiliations.
14. When was the ANC created?
15. What was the TRC according to Tutu in "Chapter Four, What About Justice"?
(a) Truth and Revenge Commission.
(b) Truth about Race Crimes.
(c) Truth and Race Commission.
(d) Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would have been quick to lie in case of trials, according to Tutu?
2. What does Tutu say Mandela thought the reconciliation had to be?
3. What board was in charge of reassigning members of the same family based on their color according to Tutu?
4. What other approach, beside trials, does Tutu believe was not the right one either?
5. Why was the new government still vulnerable according to Tutu?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)