|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tutu states freedom would be exchanged for _____________.
(a) A pound of flesh.
(d) Denouncing someone.
2. What was put in place after the presidential election of 1994?
(a) A new constitution.
(b) A new elite guard.
(c) A new army.
(d) A new parliament.
3. Why were the unarmed schoolchildren shot and killed during the Soweto violence in 1976?
(a) For not saluting the flag.
(b) For going to school.
(c) For looting.
(d) For protesting.
4. The 1994 presidential election in South Africa was certified as being _______________.
(c) Fair and free.
5. How old was Tutu in 1994?
(a) 95 years old.
(b) 62 years old.
(c) 52 years old.
(d) 43 years old.
6. What did those pleading guilty under the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act get?
(a) A deferred sentence.
(b) A fine.
(d) Full amnesty.
7. How did Tutu qualify the South African peace?
8. Who composed the ANC as of 1994?
(a) A large coalition of political groups.
(b) Two ethnic groups.
(c) One black and one white party.
(d) One thousand people.
9. What part of the New Testament does Tutu say the supporters of Apartheid chose to ignore?
(a) The diversity of human beings.
(b) The believers' pledge to attend church.
(c) The endorsement of the infinite worth of human beings.
(d) The commandment about killing one another.
10. When were the black people of South Africa allowed to vote for the first time according to "Chapter One, The Prelude"?
(a) March 28, 1994.
(b) April 27, 1994.
(c) April 17, 1994.
(d) April 27, 1994.
11. According to Tutu, the ANC was not merely ______________.
(a) A capitalist opposer.
(b) Mandela's movement.
(c) A black movement.
(d) A communist party.
12. What was the TRC in charge of providing according to "Chapter Six, A Victim Hearing"?
(a) Power to black people.
(b) A scapegoat.
(c) A complete picture of human rights violations.
(d) The illusion of fairness.
13. What does Tutu state the ANC was not exempt of in 1994?
(a) Leader struggle.
(c) Splinter groups focused on revenge.
(d) White members.
14. What court was Judge Mohamed assigned to, according to Tutu?
(a) Juvenile court.
(b) The Supreme Court of South Africa.
(c) Criminal court.
(d) Constitutional court.
15. What did Tutu marvel at in "Chapter Five, Up and Running"?
(a) The strength of his will.
(b) The number of cases.
(c) The level of forgiveness of the victims.
(d) The courage of the whites that came before the commission.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the new president of South Africa inaugurated?
2. What does Tutu say was the main weakness of the Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act bill?
3. How many judges did Mandela have to nominate for the TRC?
4. How many goals did Tutu set for himself after his ordination in 1986?
5. What does Tutu say the trials under Promotion of National Unity and Reconciliation Act ensured?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)