|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moss leave the house at midnight?
2. How long does Chigurh stay in his hotel room to recuperate?
3. Moss tells Carla Jean to go stay with her mother who lives in which city?
4. What does Chigurgh do to the two men with him at the site where Moss' truck is found?
5. In what state does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moss try to prevent an intrusion into his room via the desk clerk and how does he realize that someone is in his room?
2. Describe the encounter between Moss and Chigurh in Moss' hotel room.
3. What is the first time that Chigurh uses a coin toss to make a decision?
4. Describe the scene when Moss returns home after being gone so long on his hunting expedition.
5. What does Chigurh do after he takes the medical supplies to his hotel room?
6. What does Moss discover as he is out hunting antelope?
7. How do Moss and Carla Jean part in Fort Stockton?
8. How is Moss injured while escaping his hotel and when does he finally get some medical attention?
9. What does Moss find in the money bag that makes him believe he will never be able to stop hiding or running?
10. Why does Moss purchase tent poles and request a second room above the one he originally rented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"No Country for Old Men" is written in the Western genre. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does McCarthy use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)