|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moss buy at Wal-Mart?
2. What happens when Bell is eating dinner?
3. Why does Moss have the cab driver take him to the Ramada Inn instead of getting out at the Trail Motel?
4. How does Chigurh kill Wells?
5. Which of the following does Moss NOT do in Fort Stockton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moss modify a weapon he buys and how does he dispose of unwanted parts?
2. Why does Moss purchase tent poles and request a second room above the one he originally rented?
3. Who is Carson Wells and what is his role in the story?
4. Describe the scene when Moss returns home after being gone so long on his hunting expedition.
5. What makes Chigurh depart from the hotel where he has been staying?
6. Who is McIntyre and what is his role in the murder case?
7. Why does Bell become interested in Moss regarding the murders in the desert?
8. What does Carla Jean think when Bell shows up at her mother's house in Odessa?
9. Describe the encounter between Moss and Chigurh in Moss' hotel room.
10. What does Moss find in the money bag that makes him believe he will never be able to stop hiding or running?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Anton Chigurh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the religious symbolism of the main characters--Bell, Moss and Chigurh. What was the author's intent by creating these characters in these symbolic roles? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)