|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carson Wells' profession?
2. Where does Chigurh locate the transponder's signals?
3. Which of the following does Moss NOT do when he senses someone in his hotel room?
4. Chigurh finds a listing for a/an __________________ in a phone book.
5. How does Chigurh obtain a getaway car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carla Jean reveal to Bell about Moss' whereabouts?
2. What does Moss discover as he is out hunting antelope?
3. What happens as news of the murders begins to spread?
4. Who is Carson Wells and what is his role in the story?
5. How has crime escalated from the time that Moss first took office in law enforcement?
6. How does Chigurh secure the medical items he needs?
7. What is the premise of "No Country for Old Men"?
8. Describe the encounter between Moss and Chigurh in Moss' hotel room.
9. What is the irony of Moss' endangering his own life when taking water to the dying man?
10. What does Chigurh do after he takes the medical supplies to his hotel room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the religious symbolism of the main characters--Bell, Moss and Chigurh. What was the author's intent by creating these characters in these symbolic roles? What message does McCarthy hope to leave for the reader in such symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of evil. Identify at least two examples about evil in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of evil.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)