|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carson Wells' profession?
2. What is Moss pondering at the beginning of Chapter II?
3. What weapon does Chigurh use to kill the Mexicans in the hotel room?
4. What does Chigurh use to wrap his wounded leg?
5. What does Sheriff Bell not want listed on the report of Will Wyrick's murder scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chigurh do after he takes the medical supplies to his hotel room?
2. What is the irony of Moss' endangering his own life when taking water to the dying man?
3. What does Wells tell Moss that his job is regarding Chigurh?
4. How does Chigurh come to shoot Wells?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing with the discovery of Bill Wyrick's body?
6. What is the premise of "No Country for Old Men"?
7. Why does Moss purchase tent poles and request a second room above the one he originally rented?
8. What does Carla Jean reveal to Bell about Moss' whereabouts?
9. How does Moss try to prevent an intrusion into his room via the desk clerk and how does he realize that someone is in his room?
10. What does Moss discover as he is out hunting antelope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Sheriff Bell. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point?
Essay Topic 2
"No Country for Old Men" is written in the Western genre. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, then briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)