|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
2. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
3. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. What does everybody do when tortured?
5. Does Winston believe in God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Oceania, children are encouraged to spy on their parents and turn them in to the Thought Police if they notice any "suspicious behavior." Would you ever turn your parents over to the police? Why or why not? In what situation would you do it? What alternatives would you have?
Essay Topic 2
It can be said that Winston is tragically flawed due to his continued defiance of the rules of Oceania. His actions will eventually lead to his downfall.
Think deeply about yourself and your actions. Do you know someone who has a tragic flaw, or do you yourself have one? Write an essay explaining the flaw, why you consider it to be a problem, some examples demonstrating it, and how you think you or the other person can change to fix the flaw. Remember to keep within the definition of "tragic flaw," and avoid simply writing about something that you don't like about yourself or another person.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay critiquing a political manifesto, white paper, or declaration. Be sure to explain:
1) What the document attempted to achieve, and whether or not it accomplished this goal.
2) How it has influenced society or the world.
3) Whether you agree or disagree with the paper, and why.
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)