Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
4. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
5. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the history of prostitution. The essay should focus on something specific; examples should include, but are not limited to:
1) One country's experience with prostitution.
2) Times and places where it has been legal.
3) Geisha or "comfort" women, and other women who have been forced into prostitution.
Essay Topic 2
In essay format, discuss how you would have ended the story of Winston Smith. Be sure to explain:
1) Why you feel it is necessary to change the ending.
2) The insight into human nature that your ending would provide.
3) What you would have done if you were in Winston's shoes.
Essay Topic 3
Privacy is a highly relevant issue in the modern world. Possibilities for surveillance and citizen control have expanded significantly since George Orwell's time, and this trend frequently inspires references in the news and pop culture to Nineteen Eighty-Four. Write an essay on the topic of privacy, stating:
1) What privacy means to you.
2) The importance of privacy to a society as a whole.
3) Your opinion on the current debate over privacy, security, terrorism, and the constitution.
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)