Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
4. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
5. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
Essay Topic 1
The ideology of the Party is both extremely sophisticated and highly dangerous. If you had the opportunity to be a "Big Brother," what type of society would you design? Write a short essay (manifesto) detailing the ideology, government, rules, practices, and other elements of your fictional nation. Be sure to explain:
1) Why you think the system would work.
2) What dangers your ideology would face, and how they could be overcome.
3) Why your system is morally acceptable.
Essay Topic 2
Limits on power are often referred to as "checks and balances." Write an essay on this subject, touching upon:
1) The checks and balances that exist in the U.S. Constitution.
2) Some examples of checks and balances that have succeeded or failed.
3) Your vision of what the ideal system of checks and balances would look like.
Essay Topic 3
Julia's attitude towards sex is extremely appealing to Winston. He admires that she has had many partners because it represents a kind of victory for him against the "purity" of the Party.
Write an essay explaining your attitude towards promiscuity. Is it immoral? And when, if ever, is it justified? In your conclusion, be sure to state whether or not you think the attitude towards sex in America should change.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)