|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
2. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
3. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
4. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
5. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
2. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
3. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
4. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
5. What does Winston think the Party and the Ministry of Love can never do? Why?
6. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
7. What does Winston admire about his mother?
8. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
9. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
10. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia's attitude towards sex is extremely appealing to Winston. He admires that she has had many partners because it represents a kind of victory for him against the "purity" of the Party.
Write an essay explaining your attitude towards promiscuity. Is it immoral? And when, if ever, is it justified? In your conclusion, be sure to state whether or not you think the attitude towards sex in America should change.
Essay Topic 2
What makes us human?
1) Explain what you think the most important element of "being human" is. It can be an emotion, or human characteristic such as the need for expression or the ability to love.
2) Provide examples from the real world showing individuals and how they have used that emotion or human aspect to change the world.
3) Explain how you think this human element will change the world in the future.
Essay Topic 3
The Party relies on two key human attributes to guarantee their power - ignorance and fear. The fear comes from the power of Big Brother and the Thought Police to kill anyone, at anytime. The ignorance comes from the failure of the majority of citizens in Oceania to understand the inherent lies of Ingsoc.
Which attribute, fear or ignorance, do you feel is the most important and useful to the Party? Write an essay explaining your thoughts, and try to use real-world examples of governments who have ruled through fear, ignorance, or both.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)