|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 5, who has been vaporized?
2. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
3. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
4. Who is Oceania at war with in Part 2, Chapter 8?
5. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
2. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
3. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
4. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
5. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
6. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
7. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
8. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
9. What does Winston think the Party and the Ministry of Love can never do? Why?
10. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slogan of the Oceania's government is "WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH." Any act of independent thought, even writing a diary, are punishable by death. Explain the difference between life in America and life in Oceania. Are there any similarities? In your conclusion, write about some ways in which the American people can ensure that future governments do not abuse citizens like in Nineteen-Eighty-Four.
Essay Topic 2
Oceania has been at war ever since Winston can remember. However, the country that it has been at war with has changed, and it seems that the Party wants Oceania to constantly be at war with someone. Why would a government want to have a permanent state of war? What benefits could a government get from it? Be sure to use real-world examples to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Julia's attitude towards sex is extremely appealing to Winston. He admires that she has had many partners because it represents a kind of victory for him against the "purity" of the Party.
Write an essay explaining your attitude towards promiscuity. Is it immoral? And when, if ever, is it justified? In your conclusion, be sure to state whether or not you think the attitude towards sex in America should change.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)