Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
4. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
5. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay arguing either for or against the creation of a secret police force in America. Be sure to back up your opinions with examples from history and lessons learned from past governments.
Essay Topic 2
In Oceania, children are encouraged to spy on their parents and turn them in to the Thought Police if they notice any "suspicious behavior." Would you ever turn your parents over to the police? Why or why not? In what situation would you do it? What alternatives would you have?
Essay Topic 3
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)