|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not statistical, as stated in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
3. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. Why was Parsons arrested?
5. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
2. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
3. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
4. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
5. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
6. How does Winston feel towards O'Brien in Part 3, Chapter 2? Why do you think this is?
7. What does Winston admire about his mother?
8. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
9. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
10. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most important warnings in Nineteen-Eighty-Four is that the past can be erased and history can be changed. "Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."
Write a short essay on a real historical event about which historians disagree. Be sure to show both sides, and in the conclusion, explain what you think really happened and why.
Essay Topic 2
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay critiquing a political manifesto, white paper, or declaration. Be sure to explain:
1) What the document attempted to achieve, and whether or not it accomplished this goal.
2) How it has influenced society or the world.
3) Whether you agree or disagree with the paper, and why.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)