Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
4. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
5. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
Privacy is a highly relevant issue in the modern world. Possibilities for surveillance and citizen control have expanded significantly since George Orwell's time, and this trend frequently inspires references in the news and pop culture to Nineteen Eighty-Four. Write an essay on the topic of privacy, stating:
1) What privacy means to you.
2) The importance of privacy to a society as a whole.
3) Your opinion on the current debate over privacy, security, terrorism, and the constitution.
In essay format, discuss how you would have ended the story of Winston Smith. Be sure to explain:
1) Why you feel it is necessary to change the ending.
2) The insight into human nature that your ending would provide.
3) What you would have done if you were in Winston's shoes.
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)