|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
2. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
3. Where were rats a common punishment?
4. What is not statistical, as stated in Part 2, Chapter 8?
5. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
2. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
3. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
4. Why might George Orwell have made the book's conclusion so tragic? What is he trying to express?
5. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
6. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
7. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
8. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
9. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
10. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes us human?
1) Explain what you think the most important element of "being human" is. It can be an emotion, or human characteristic such as the need for expression or the ability to love.
2) Provide examples from the real world showing individuals and how they have used that emotion or human aspect to change the world.
3) Explain how you think this human element will change the world in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Oceania has been at war ever since Winston can remember. However, the country that it has been at war with has changed, and it seems that the Party wants Oceania to constantly be at war with someone. Why would a government want to have a permanent state of war? What benefits could a government get from it? Be sure to use real-world examples to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Party relies on two key human attributes to guarantee their power - ignorance and fear. The fear comes from the power of Big Brother and the Thought Police to kill anyone, at anytime. The ignorance comes from the failure of the majority of citizens in Oceania to understand the inherent lies of Ingsoc.
Which attribute, fear or ignorance, do you feel is the most important and useful to the Party? Write an essay explaining your thoughts, and try to use real-world examples of governments who have ruled through fear, ignorance, or both.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)