|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
2. What does the area where Inner Party members live smell like?
3. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
4. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
5. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
2. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
3. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
4. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
5. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
6. How does Winston feel towards O'Brien in Part 3, Chapter 2? Why do you think this is?
7. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
8. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
9. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
10. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In essay format, discuss how you would have ended the story of Winston Smith. Be sure to explain:
1) Why you feel it is necessary to change the ending.
2) The insight into human nature that your ending would provide.
3) What you would have done if you were in Winston's shoes.
Essay Topic 2
In Oceania, children are encouraged to spy on their parents and turn them in to the Thought Police if they notice any "suspicious behavior." Would you ever turn your parents over to the police? Why or why not? In what situation would you do it? What alternatives would you have?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay arguing either for or against the creation of a secret police force in America. Be sure to back up your opinions with examples from history and lessons learned from past governments.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)