Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
4. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
5. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
Julia's attitude towards sex is extremely appealing to Winston. He admires that she has had many partners because it represents a kind of victory for him against the "purity" of the Party.
Write an essay explaining your attitude towards promiscuity. Is it immoral? And when, if ever, is it justified? In your conclusion, be sure to state whether or not you think the attitude towards sex in America should change.
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
Love is one of the most fundamental human emotions. In Nineteen Eighty-Four, love and sexual affection are outlawed so that citizens will reserve their love for Big Brother. Write an essay explaining:
1) Why love is (or is not) important.
2) The ways that love can fundamentally change a person's life.
3) Whether or not love can really "conquer all." Examples, both literary and real, are encouraged.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)