|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of the device Winston uses to write?
3. What device is used to write songs?
4. What does Winston decide to do with the prostitute?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what will be Julia and Winston's next meeting place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
2. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
3. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
4. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
5. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
6. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
7. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
8. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
9. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
10. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oceania has been at war ever since Winston can remember. However, the country that it has been at war with has changed, and it seems that the Party wants Oceania to constantly be at war with someone. Why would a government want to have a permanent state of war? What benefits could a government get from it? Be sure to use real-world examples to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay arguing either for or against the creation of a secret police force in America. Be sure to back up your opinions with examples from history and lessons learned from past governments.
Essay Topic 3
In essay format, discuss how you would have ended the story of Winston Smith. Be sure to explain:
1) Why you feel it is necessary to change the ending.
2) The insight into human nature that your ending would provide.
3) What you would have done if you were in Winston's shoes.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)