|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prostitute not have?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Winston wonders, as he had many times before, if he is a _________.
3. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
4. What fell on Colchester?
5. Who does Winston see in the hallway in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
2. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
3. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
4. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
5. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
6. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
7. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
8. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
9. Why will no Party woman wear perfume?
10. Why does Winston think Syme will be vaporized? What does Syme lack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes us human?
1) Explain what you think the most important element of "being human" is. It can be an emotion, or human characteristic such as the need for expression or the ability to love.
2) Provide examples from the real world showing individuals and how they have used that emotion or human aspect to change the world.
3) Explain how you think this human element will change the world in the future.
Essay Topic 2
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
Essay Topic 3
The slogan of the Oceania's government is "WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH." Any act of independent thought, even writing a diary, are punishable by death. Explain the difference between life in America and life in Oceania. Are there any similarities? In your conclusion, write about some ways in which the American people can ensure that future governments do not abuse citizens like in Nineteen-Eighty-Four.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)