|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Consorting with prostitutes was "dangerous, ___________________." (Part 1, Chapter 6)
2. With whom is Oceania at war?
3. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
4. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
5. What is everyone in Oceania supposed to call each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the proles the only force capable of overthrowing the Party?
2. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
3. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
4. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
5. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
6. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
7. Where does Winston work, and what is his job? Why does he have to do this?
8. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
9. Syme explains that the most important part of Newspeak is not the creation of new words, but the deletion of old words. Why might this be more important? What is the true purpose of Newspeak?
10. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julia's attitude towards sex is extremely appealing to Winston. He admires that she has had many partners because it represents a kind of victory for him against the "purity" of the Party.
Write an essay explaining your attitude towards promiscuity. Is it immoral? And when, if ever, is it justified? In your conclusion, be sure to state whether or not you think the attitude towards sex in America should change.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the history of prostitution. The essay should focus on something specific; examples should include, but are not limited to:
1) One country's experience with prostitution.
2) Times and places where it has been legal.
3) Geisha or "comfort" women, and other women who have been forced into prostitution.
Essay Topic 3
It can be said that Winston is tragically flawed due to his continued defiance of the rules of Oceania. His actions will eventually lead to his downfall.
Think deeply about yourself and your actions. Do you know someone who has a tragic flaw, or do you yourself have one? Write an essay explaining the flaw, why you consider it to be a problem, some examples demonstrating it, and how you think you or the other person can change to fix the flaw. Remember to keep within the definition of "tragic flaw," and avoid simply writing about something that you don't like about yourself or another person.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)