|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman in the telescreen call Winston?
2. What is the most frightening ministry of Oceania's government?
3. During the Two Minutes Hate, what does everyone in the room do?
4. Who/what is Tillotson?
5. What does Mrs. Parsons want Winston to do in Part 1, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will no Party woman wear perfume?
2. What attracts Julia to Winston? Why is this attractive or necessary to her?
3. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
4. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
5. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
6. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
7. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
8. Why are the proles the only force capable of overthrowing the Party?
9. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
10. Where does Winston work, and what is his job? Why does he have to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the history of prostitution. The essay should focus on something specific; examples should include, but are not limited to:
1) One country's experience with prostitution.
2) Times and places where it has been legal.
3) Geisha or "comfort" women, and other women who have been forced into prostitution.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay arguing either for or against the creation of a secret police force in America. Be sure to back up your opinions with examples from history and lessons learned from past governments.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)