|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is everyone in Oceania supposed to call each other?
2. What keeps falling on London?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
4. What does Julia say is "the only way to stay safe"?
5. Why does Winston have to falsify production reports?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
2. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
3. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
4. Why are the proles the only force capable of overthrowing the Party?
5. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
6. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
7. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
8. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
9. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
10. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Oceania, children are encouraged to spy on their parents and turn them in to the Thought Police if they notice any "suspicious behavior." Would you ever turn your parents over to the police? Why or why not? In what situation would you do it? What alternatives would you have?
Essay Topic 2
Oceania has been at war ever since Winston can remember. However, the country that it has been at war with has changed, and it seems that the Party wants Oceania to constantly be at war with someone. Why would a government want to have a permanent state of war? What benefits could a government get from it? Be sure to use real-world examples to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in literature, and a motivating factor for many characters. Write an essay that shows at least two examples of fear in literature, touching upon:
1) The type of fear, be it personal, fear for the safety of others, fear of pain, etc.
2) How the characters overcame the fear, or were overcome by it.
3) The source of the fear, and its relation to the main character.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)