|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What smell is common to Winston's apartment building?
2. When the Thought Police secretly arrest and execute someone, most people would say that person has been _______.
3. What is the last thing the dark-haired girl does before departing from Winston in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. What is Winston's phobia?
5. What is the name of Winston's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
2. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
3. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
4. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
5. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
6. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
7. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
8. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
9. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
10. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Oceania, children are encouraged to spy on their parents and turn them in to the Thought Police if they notice any "suspicious behavior." Would you ever turn your parents over to the police? Why or why not? In what situation would you do it? What alternatives would you have?
Essay Topic 2
The Party relies on two key human attributes to guarantee their power - ignorance and fear. The fear comes from the power of Big Brother and the Thought Police to kill anyone, at anytime. The ignorance comes from the failure of the majority of citizens in Oceania to understand the inherent lies of Ingsoc.
Which attribute, fear or ignorance, do you feel is the most important and useful to the Party? Write an essay explaining your thoughts, and try to use real-world examples of governments who have ruled through fear, ignorance, or both.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay arguing either for or against the creation of a secret police force in America. Be sure to back up your opinions with examples from history and lessons learned from past governments.
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)