|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winston have to falsify production reports?
2. What type of flower does Winston collect before meeting the dark-haired girl?
3. When Winston sees the prostitute in the light, he sees that she is _____.
4. Who/what is Tillotson?
5. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
2. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
3. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
4. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
5. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
6. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
7. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
8. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
9. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
10. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay arguing either for or against the creation of a secret police force in America. Be sure to back up your opinions with examples from history and lessons learned from past governments.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in literature, and a motivating factor for many characters. Write an essay that shows at least two examples of fear in literature, touching upon:
1) The type of fear, be it personal, fear for the safety of others, fear of pain, etc.
2) How the characters overcame the fear, or were overcome by it.
3) The source of the fear, and its relation to the main character.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the history of prostitution. The essay should focus on something specific; examples should include, but are not limited to:
1) One country's experience with prostitution.
2) Times and places where it has been legal.
3) Geisha or "comfort" women, and other women who have been forced into prostitution.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)