Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. Which event's preparations causes an increase in working hours in Part 2, Chapter 4?
3. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. What keeps falling on London?
5. Who were three of the original survivors of the revolution of whom Winston saw a picture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
2. What does Winston admire about his mother?
3. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
4. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
5. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
6. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
7. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
8. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
9. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
10. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the history of prostitution. The essay should focus on something specific; examples should include, but are not limited to:
1) One country's experience with prostitution.
2) Times and places where it has been legal.
3) Geisha or "comfort" women, and other women who have been forced into prostitution.
Essay Topic 2
Winston has a terrible fear of pain. He hates it more than anything else and is willing to do almost anything in order to avoid pain. Write an essay on pain, and Winston's experience with it. Be sure to cover:
1) How pain influences Winston throughout the book.
2) Possible reasons why Winston fears pain so much.
3) Possible ways that Winston could have controlled his fear of pain.
4) How your attitude towards pain is similar or different to that of Winston.
Essay Topic 3
The ideology of the Party is both extremely sophisticated and highly dangerous. If you had the opportunity to be a "Big Brother," what type of society would you design? Write a short essay (manifesto) detailing the ideology, government, rules, practices, and other elements of your fictional nation. Be sure to explain:
1) Why you think the system would work.
2) What dangers your ideology would face, and how they could be overcome.
3) Why your system is morally acceptable.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)