|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(b) A slab of granite.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A bed of nails.
2. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) When I grow flowers, say the bells of Haight Towers.
(b) When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch.
(c) When I grow old, say the bells of Seahold.
(d) When I grow tired, say the bells of Beachpyre.
3. What is the theme song of Hate Week?
(a) The Hate Song.
(b) I Hate.
(c) Big Brother's Hatest Hits.
(d) Hatred, We Love You.
4. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Sven, from Sweden.
(b) Stephen, from North America.
(c) Martin, from Asia.
(d) Antonio, from Europe.
5. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
(a) O'Brien, with collaborators.
(b) O'Brien, by himself.
(c) Big Brother, and O'Brien edited it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be the one certain thing about Winston's death?
2. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
4. What differentiates the way O'Brien speaks from other Inner Party members?
5. What does Mr. Charrington order the officers to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
2. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
3. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
4. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
5. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
6. How does Winston feel towards O'Brien in Part 3, Chapter 2? Why do you think this is?
7. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
8. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
9. Winston tells Julia that she is "only a rebel from the waist downwards." What does he mean by this, and is it true?
10. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)