|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
2. What is in Room 101?
(a) Certain death.
(b) Pain beyond imagination.
(c) The worst thing in the world.
3. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(b) Saccharine with cloves.
(c) Mint on ice.
(d) Straight up, on the rocks.
4. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
(c) Airstrip One.
(d) The FFCC.
5. What differentiates the way O'Brien speaks from other Inner Party members?
(a) A warm welcoming manner.
(b) A peculiar grave courtesy.
(c) An odd humourous tone.
(d) A strange sort of tick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were rats a common punishment?
2. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
3. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
5. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
2. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
3. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
4. What does Winston think the Party and the Ministry of Love can never do? Why?
5. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
6. What does Winston admire about his mother?
7. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
8. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
9. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
10. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)