|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) From the waist down.
(b) As much as Winston is.
(c) Without a cause.
(d) In disguise.
2. What should be the starting point to Winston's thoughts, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The rule of the Party is forever.
(b) Oceania will never be free.
(c) Winston will die alone.
(d) The revolution is inevitable.
3. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His servant.
(b) His wife.
(c) His plumber.
(d) His comrade.
4. What is the reason for O'Brien's encounter with Winston?
(a) So O'Brien can warn Winston about information the Thought Police have on him.
(b) There is no reason for the encounter.
(c) So O'Brien can give Winston a book.
(d) So O'Brien can give Winston his address.
5. How does Winston feel towards Big Brother?
(a) He is mystified by him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He feels that he has become him.
(d) He hates him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
2. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
3. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
4. What does Mr. Charrington order the officers to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
5. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
2. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
3. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
4. How does Winston feel towards O'Brien in Part 3, Chapter 2? Why do you think this is?
5. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
6. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
7. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
8. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
9. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
10. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)