|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
(a) Torture, brainwashing, death.
(b) Learning, understanding, acceptance.
(c) Pain, receiving, enlightenment.
(d) Introduction, intermission, conclusion.
2. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) Dead, in hell.
(b) In O'Brien's office.
(c) The Ministry of Love.
(d) In transit to the labor camps.
3. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
(a) The Ministry of Love.
(b) Julia's will.
(c) The truth.
(d) The inner heart.
4. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(b) Fail to open due to rust.
(d) Click shut.
5. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
(a) To be given a fair trial.
(b) To be loved.
(c) To be made sane.
(d) To be executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Party claim to have invented?
2. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
3. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
4. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
5. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
2. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
3. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
4. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
5. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
6. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
7. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
8. What does Winston think the Party and the Ministry of Love can never do? Why?
9. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
10. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)