|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the police holding when they arrested Winston and Julia?
2. What does the area where Inner Party members live smell like?
(a) Good food and good coffee.
(b) Good food and good wine.
(c) Good food and good tobacco.
(d) Good food and good friends.
3. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
(a) Pol Pot.
4. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Throwing a grenade.
(b) Standing in front of a tank.
(c) Running away in panic.
(d) Shielding her child from bullets.
5. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Antonio, from Europe.
(b) Martin, from Asia.
(c) Sven, from Sweden.
(d) Stephen, from North America.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
2. How do the proles normally feel about the war?
3. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
4. What does Winston realize about secrets?
5. What is the theme song of Hate Week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
2. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
3. Why might George Orwell have made the book's conclusion so tragic? What is he trying to express?
4. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
5. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
6. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
7. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
8. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
9. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
10. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)