|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
(a) His personal rebellion.
(b) The meaning of love.
(c) Big Brother's smile.
(d) The war.
2. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
(a) Get down on the ground.
(b) You are the dead.
(c) You have been betrayed.
(d) You are not as smart as you think you are.
3. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) Franco's Spain.
(c) Imperial China.
(d) The USSR.
4. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch.
(b) When I grow old, say the bells of Seahold.
(c) When I grow flowers, say the bells of Haight Towers.
(d) When I grow tired, say the bells of Beachpyre.
5. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His servant.
(b) His plumber.
(c) His comrade.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
3. Julia is only a rebel __________.
4. What will be the one certain thing about Winston's death?
5. What makes Winston feel sick in Part 3, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
2. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
3. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
4. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
5. What does Winston admire about his mother?
6. Winston tells Julia that she is "only a rebel from the waist downwards." What does he mean by this, and is it true?
7. How does Winston feel towards O'Brien in Part 3, Chapter 2? Why do you think this is?
8. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
9. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
10. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)