|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Oceania at war with in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(c) The African Alliance.
(d) Pax Americana.
2. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
(a) He used the word.
(b) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
(c) His parents were from Eurasia.
(d) He was wearing strange shoes.
4. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(b) Fail to open due to rust.
(c) Click shut.
5. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
2. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
3. What will be the one certain thing about Winston's death?
4. How does Winston feel towards Big Brother?
5. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might George Orwell have made the book's conclusion so tragic? What is he trying to express?
2. What does Winston think the Party and the Ministry of Love can never do? Why?
3. What does Winston admire about his mother?
4. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
5. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
6. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
7. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
8. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
9. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
10. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)