|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) His skull.
(b) His collarbone.
(c) His femur.
(d) His spine.
2. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
(a) Big Brother's smile.
(b) His personal rebellion.
(c) The meaning of love.
(d) The war.
3. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
4. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) On the top floor of the Ministry of Love.
(b) Deep underground.
(c) Near a window, judging by the fresh-smelling air.
(d) On the ground floor.
5. Why was Parsons arrested?
(a) He killed his wife and children.
(b) He is guilty of Thoughtcrime.
(c) He was slacking off at work.
(d) He wanted to change the name of Hate Week.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
2. What does O'Brien show to Winston in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
4. How many fingers is O'Brien holding up in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. Julia is only a rebel __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
2. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
3. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
4. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
5. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
6. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
7. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
8. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
9. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
10. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)