|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) At a rally.
(b) With Julia.
(c) At the Community Center.
(d) At home, writing in his diary.
2. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(b) Straight up, on the rocks.
(c) Saccharine with cloves.
(d) Mint on ice.
3. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His comrade.
(b) His plumber.
(c) His wife.
(d) His servant.
4. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Fail to open due to rust.
(b) Click shut.
(c) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
5. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
(a) A clerical position in the Ministry of Love.
(b) A cabinet position in the government.
(c) The board of directors for Inner Party affairs.
(d) A sub-committee of a sub-committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
2. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
4. What does Winston realize about secrets?
5. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
2. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
4. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
5. What does Winston admire about his mother?
6. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
7. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
8. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
9. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
10. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)