|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the police holding when they arrested Winston and Julia?
2. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Shielding her child from bullets.
(b) Running away in panic.
(c) Throwing a grenade.
(d) Standing in front of a tank.
3. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
(a) The Ministry of Plenty.
(b) The Tax Collection Agency.
(c) The Thought Police.
(d) The Transportation Authority.
4. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Sven, from Sweden.
(b) Antonio, from Europe.
(c) Stephen, from North America.
(d) Martin, from Asia.
5. What is in Room 101?
(b) Pain beyond imagination.
(c) Certain death.
(d) The worst thing in the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
4. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. What does Winston realize about secrets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
2. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
3. What does Winston think the Party and the Ministry of Love can never do? Why?
4. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
5. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
6. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
7. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
8. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
9. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
10. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)