|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the area where Inner Party members live smell like?
(a) Good food and good wine.
(b) Good food and good coffee.
(c) Good food and good tobacco.
(d) Good food and good friends.
2. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
(a) Julia's will.
(b) The inner heart.
(c) The truth.
(d) The Ministry of Love.
3. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) His miserable life.
(b) A song.
(c) His love for Big Brother.
(d) The gin.
4. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Make them love Big Brother.
(b) Make them stop loving each other.
(c) Make them stay in Oceania.
(d) Kill them.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(b) Free time to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
2. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
3. What should be the starting point to Winston's thoughts, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
5. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
2. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
3. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
4. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
5. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
6. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
7. What does Winston admire about his mother?
8. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
9. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
10. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)