|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Julia think is really launching the rocketbombs?
(a) The Party.
(c) The Brotherhood.
(d) The proles.
2. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
3. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) His love for Big Brother.
(b) The gin.
(c) His miserable life.
(d) A song.
4. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
(a) The bed.
(b) The paperweight.
(c) Winston's ego.
(d) Julia's knee.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
(a) God is Power.
(b) I love Big Brother.
(c) Two and two make four.
(d) Freedom is Slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
2. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
3. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
5. By Part 2, what is waiting for Winston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
2. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
3. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
4. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
5. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
6. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
7. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
8. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
9. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
10. What does Winston admire about his mother?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)