|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
(a) The Brotherhood.
(b) The FFCC.
(c) The Thought Police.
(d) The Ministry of Truth.
2. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) His entire life.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Four months.
(d) Seven years.
3. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) A slab of granite.
(b) A bed of nails.
(d) A camp bed.
4. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
(b) Gold ink.
(c) Gold plated.
5. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What differentiates the way O'Brien speaks from other Inner Party members?
2. What should be the starting point to Winston's thoughts, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. Julia is only a rebel __________.
4. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
5. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Brotherhood organized, and why?
2. What are the two ultimate goals of the Party? What are they waiting for, and why?
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
4. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
5. What does Winston admire about his mother?
6. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
7. Winston tells Julia that she is "only a rebel from the waist downwards." What does he mean by this, and is it true?
8. What is unusual about O'Brien? Do you think he can be trusted? Why or why not?
9. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
10. According to Goldstein's book, why is a state of perpetual war necessary? For what purpose?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)