|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) Without a cause.
(b) As much as Winston is.
(c) In disguise.
(d) From the waist down.
2. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
3. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
4. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(c) Stability in society.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 5, who has been vaporized?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. How do the proles normally feel about the war?
4. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
5. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
2. What does Winston admire about his mother?
3. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
4. How does Winston betray Julia? What is the significance of this?
5. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
6. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
7. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
8. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
9. How does Winston feel towards O'Brien in Part 3, Chapter 2? Why do you think this is?
10. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)