|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
(a) The OCCB.
(b) The FDA.
(c) The FFCC.
(d) The INGSOC.
2. What device is used to write songs?
3. According to Part 1, Chapter 7, where does hope lie?
(a) With the Brotherhood.
(b) Nowhere to be found.
(c) In Winston alone.
(d) In the proles.
4. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) To fix the grammar in a story about the Eurasian front.
(b) To rewrite a story about Goldstein.
(c) To correct a speech by Big Brother.
(d) To get lunch for his boss.
5. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl with the dark hair do in Winston's dream?
2. What does the note left by the individual whom Winston sees in the hall say?
3. Where did Oceania recently have a military victory?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
5. How does Victory Gin smell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
2. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
3. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
4. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
5. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
6. What attracts Julia to Winston? Why is this attractive or necessary to her?
7. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
8. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
9. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
10. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)