|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing the dark-haired girl does before departing from Winston in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Hold Winston's hand.
(b) Give Winston a book.
(c) Turn Winston over to the Thought Police.
(d) Kiss Winston.
2. How does Julia describe herself?
(a) As very attractive.
(b) As a thought criminal.
(c) As much too young for Winston.
(d) As not clever.
3. How does Victory Gin smell?
(a) Sickly and oily.
(b) Gross and disgusting.
(c) Warm and inviting.
(d) Harsh, like nitric acid.
4. Who does Winston see in the hallway in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(d) The dark-haired girl.
5. Where did Oceania recently have a military victory?
(a) North Africa.
(b) North America.
(c) East Asia.
(d) South India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
2. What does Julia say is "the only way to stay safe"?
3. What is the name of the television-like appliance constantly watching Oceania's citizens?
4. What does Ingsoc mean?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what will be Julia and Winston's next meeting place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Winston's dream, the man O'Brien says "We will meet in the place where there is no darkness." What do you think he meant by this?
2. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
3. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
4. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
5. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
6. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
7. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
8. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
9. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
10. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)