|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ingsoc mean?
(a) English Society.
(b) English Socrates.
(c) English Soccer.
(d) English Socialism.
2. When Winston sees the prostitute in the light, he sees that she is _____.
(a) A man.
3. What is the name of the television-like appliance constantly watching Oceania's citizens?
(a) The telescreen.
(b) The eye of Big Brother.
(c) The viewscreen.
(d) The televisionary.
4. "The Revolution will be complete when the ______ is perfect."
5. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the Parsons children use to hit Winston in the neck?
2. Of what do Winston and Julia not discuss the possibility?
3. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
4. Who is Julia?
5. What is the name of the song on the telescreen?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
2. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
3. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
4. What might the woman singing in the street symbolizes?
5. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
6. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
7. In Winston's dream, the man O'Brien says "We will meet in the place where there is no darkness." What do you think he meant by this?
8. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
9. Winston feels the worst things about life in Oceania are not its "cruelty and insecurity," but "its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness." Why might he feels this way?
10. Why does Winston think Syme will be vaporized? What does Syme lack?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)