|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't Winston give Ogilvy?
(a) The Order of Conspicuous Merit.
(b) The Silver Cross.
(c) The Keys to the City.
(d) The Order of Oceania.
2. By writing in his diary, Winston has committed a crime. What is the name of this crime?
3. During the Two Minutes Hate, what does everyone in the room do?
(a) Fight with each other.
(b) Scream, yell, and throw objects at the telescreen.
(c) Sing the national anthem.
(d) Sit in quiet hatred.
4. What is the official language of Oceania?
5. With whom is Oceania at war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. What is there a shortage of in Oceania?
3. How many clothing coupons does Winston get annually?
4. What type of hats do capitalists supposedly wear?
5. What fell on Colchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
2. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
3. Syme explains that the most important part of Newspeak is not the creation of new words, but the deletion of old words. Why might this be more important? What is the true purpose of Newspeak?
4. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
5. Why does Winston think Syme will be vaporized? What does Syme lack?
6. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
7. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
8. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
9. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
10. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)