|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What urge is stronger than ever when Winston was finished writing about the prostitute?
(a) To vomit profusely.
(b) To choke down some food.
(c) To shout filthy words.
(d) To turn back time.
2. The Enemy of the People is...
(a) Emmanuel Goldstein.
(b) Emmanuel Goldfinch.
(c) Emmanuel Silverstein.
(d) Emmanuel Golden.
3. The telescreen announces a reduction in what type of rations?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what is one of the latest, favorite phrases of the Ministry of Plenty?
(a) Our modern world in all its glory.
(b) Our only way forward.
(c) Our new, happy life.
(d) What's ours is yours.
5. What does Julia say is "the only way to stay safe"?
(a) Listen to Big Brother.
(b) Do as the Oceanians do.
(c) Be an informant.
(d) Always yell with the crowd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What fell on Colchester?
3. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
4. By writing in his diary, Winston has committed a crime. What is the name of this crime?
5. Where did Oceania recently have a military victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
2. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
3. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
4. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
5. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
6. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
7. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
8. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
9. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
10. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)