|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ideal way for children to be conceived in Oceania?
2. Where does Winston work?
(a) The Ministry of Love.
(b) The Ministry of Justice.
(c) The Ministry of Truth.
(d) The Ministry of Fear.
3. What smell is common to Winston's apartment building?
(b) Stewed beef.
4. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) A movie.
(b) A picture.
(c) A play.
(d) A hanging.
5. With whom is Oceania at war?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
2. Who is the vaporized man Winston must delete from The Times?
3. What type of hats do capitalists supposedly wear?
4. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
5. What does Winston buy in the junk shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
2. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
3. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
4. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
5. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
6. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
7. Why are the proles the only force capable of overthrowing the Party?
8. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
9. What attracts Julia to Winston? Why is this attractive or necessary to her?
10. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)