|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) A picture.
(b) A movie.
(c) A hanging.
(d) A play.
2. During the Two Minutes Hate, what does everyone in the room do?
(a) Scream, yell, and throw objects at the telescreen.
(b) Fight with each other.
(c) Sit in quiet hatred.
(d) Sing the national anthem.
3. How many kilometers can someone travel in Oceania before their passport is checked?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
4. What is the most frightening ministry of Oceania's government?
(a) The Ministry of Plenty.
(b) The Ministry of Peace.
(c) The Ministry of Love.
(d) The Ministry of Fear.
5. What does one of the Parsons children use to hit Winston in the neck?
(a) A pellet gun.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A rock.
(d) A catapult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spoils Winston's plans to sit with the dark-haired girl in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. What newspaper does Winston re-write?
3. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what is one of the latest, favorite phrases of the Ministry of Plenty?
5. What does Mrs. Parsons want Winston to do in Part 1, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
2. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
3. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
4. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
5. Winston feels the worst things about life in Oceania are not its "cruelty and insecurity," but "its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness." Why might he feels this way?
6. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
7. Where does Winston work, and what is his job? Why does he have to do this?
8. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
9. What attracts Julia to Winston? Why is this attractive or necessary to her?
10. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)