|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
2. Katharine has two names for sex. One is "making a baby." What is the other?
(b) The unspeakable.
(c) Our duty to the party.
(d) Our shared responsibility.
3. What is the official language of Oceania?
4. What does Julia say is "the only way to stay safe"?
(a) Be an informant.
(b) Always yell with the crowd.
(c) Do as the Oceanians do.
(d) Listen to Big Brother.
5. During the Two Minutes Hate, what does everyone in the room do?
(a) Sing the national anthem.
(b) Scream, yell, and throw objects at the telescreen.
(c) Sit in quiet hatred.
(d) Fight with each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Julia?
2. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
3. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. What happened to the Inner Party member with whom Julia had her first affair?
5. Where does Winston work?
Short Essay Questions
1. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
2. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
3. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
5. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
6. What might the woman singing in the street symbolizes?
7. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
8. Why are the proles the only force capable of overthrowing the Party?
9. Winston feels the worst things about life in Oceania are not its "cruelty and insecurity," but "its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness." Why might he feels this way?
10. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)