|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Junior Anti-Sex League do?
(a) Write pamplets on sex education.
(b) Hunt down adulterers and prostitutes.
(c) Advocate complete celibacy.
(d) Perform arbitrary castrations.
2. What is the name of the waste paper disposal chute in Winston's workplace?
(a) Remembering hole.
(b) Memory hole.
(c) Forgetful hole.
(d) Throwaway hole.
3. What is the official language of Oceania?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Winston wonders, as he had many times before, if he is a _________.
5. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) To get lunch for his boss.
(b) To correct a speech by Big Brother.
(c) To rewrite a story about Goldstein.
(d) To fix the grammar in a story about the Eurasian front.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the resistance to the Party called?
2. What was Rutherford's previous job?
3. The Enemy of the People is...
4. What does the girl with the dark hair do in Winston's dream?
5. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
Short Essay Questions
1. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
2. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
3. Winston feels the worst things about life in Oceania are not its "cruelty and insecurity," but "its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness." Why might he feels this way?
4. Explain Julia's attitude towards the Party. What does this reveal about her character?
5. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
6. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
7. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
8. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
9. What attracts Julia to Winston? Why is this attractive or necessary to her?
10. In Winston's dream, the man O'Brien says "We will meet in the place where there is no darkness." What do you think he meant by this?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)