|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't Winston give Ogilvy?
(a) The Order of Oceania.
(b) The Order of Conspicuous Merit.
(c) The Keys to the City.
(d) The Silver Cross.
2. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
3. The telescreen announces a reduction in what type of rations?
4. "The Revolution will be complete when the ______ is perfect."
5. What word is on Winston's lips when he awakens from his dream in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What does Winston write repeatedly in his diary after thinking about the Two Minutes Hate?
3. How much does it cost for a nip of gin at the canteen?
4. Who does Winston see in the hallway in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. What do the proles call rocketbombs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of O'Brien's reference to Syme?
2. How can Winston still achieve victory over the Party in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. Winston feels the worst things about life in Oceania are not its "cruelty and insecurity," but "its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness." Why might he feels this way?
4. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
5. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
6. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
7. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Winston realize about the Party and their orthodoxy? How does this relate to the everyday citizens of Oceania?
8. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
9. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
10. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)