Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) A picture.
(b) A play.
(c) A hanging.
(d) A movie.
2. Which event's preparations causes an increase in working hours in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) War Week.
(b) Thoughtcrime Week.
(c) Hate Week.
(d) Duty Week.
3. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Singing and hanging laundry.
(b) Chanting and walking by.
(c) Humming and painting.
(d) Whistling and gardening.
4. What keeps falling on London?
(a) Acid rain.
(b) Dogs and cats.
5. Who were three of the original survivors of the revolution of whom Winston saw a picture?
(a) Ford, Dent, and McMillan.
(b) Smith, Appleby, and Douglas.
(c) McDonald, Martin, and King.
(d) Jones, Aaronson, and Rutherford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the resistance to the Party called?
2. How many clothing coupons does Winston get annually?
3. What does Winston think will happen to Syme?
4. What is used only by the proles?
5. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Brien say is the real reason the Party seeks power? How are they different from past governments?
2. What does Winston admire about his mother?
3. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
4. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
5. What does Winston's betrayal reveal about his character? What do you think of him now?
6. What do you think will happen to Winston and Julia after Part 2, Chapter 10? Do they have any hope?
7. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
8. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
9. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
10. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)