|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
2. What is the ideal way for children to be conceived in Oceania?
3. What was Rutherford's previous job?
4. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
(a) A varicose ulcer.
(b) Swollen lymph nodes.
(c) Varicose veins.
5. What is the name of the television-like appliance constantly watching Oceania's citizens?
(a) The viewscreen.
(b) The televisionary.
(c) The eye of Big Brother.
(d) The telescreen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winston write repeatedly in his diary after thinking about the Two Minutes Hate?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Winston wonders, as he had many times before, if he is a _________.
3. What do the proles call rocketbombs?
4. What does the note left by the individual whom Winston sees in the hall say?
5. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
2. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
3. Winston tells Julia that she is "only a rebel from the waist downwards." What does he mean by this, and is it true?
4. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
5. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
6. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
7. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
8. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
9. Why might George Orwell have made the book's conclusion so tragic? What is he trying to express?
10. What does Winston admire about his mother?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)