|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't Winston give Ogilvy?
(a) The Keys to the City.
(b) The Order of Oceania.
(c) The Order of Conspicuous Merit.
(d) The Silver Cross.
2. What does Winston think will happen to Syme?
(a) He will become Big Brother.
(b) He will be vaporized.
(c) He will flee Oceania.
(d) He will die from drinking too much gin.
3. What word is on Winston's lips when he awakens from his dream in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of Winston's wife?
5. What is written on the flag that keeps flapping?
(a) BIG BROTHER.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. What keeps falling on London?
3. What is the name of the television-like appliance constantly watching Oceania's citizens?
4. Who are the first two people Winston dreams about in Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. What is Parsons collecting money for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winston think O'Brien will say is the reason the Party seeks power?
2. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
3. Syme explains that the most important part of Newspeak is not the creation of new words, but the deletion of old words. Why might this be more important? What is the true purpose of Newspeak?
4. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
5. What "progress" has Winston made by Part 3, Chapter 4? What does Winston have to do before his re-education is complete?
6. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
7. When questioned by O'Brien, Winston and Julia state that they are willing to commit many crimes, including the killing of innocent people. Do you think this is justifiable, given the terrible nature of the Party?
8. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
9. Describe the forced-labor camps, according to the common criminals.
10. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)