|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Consorting with prostitutes was "dangerous, ___________________." (Part 1, Chapter 6)
(a) And would always be that way.
(b) But it was not a life-and-death matter.
(c) And should never be attempted.
(d) But necessary to keep one's sanity.
2. What is used only by the proles?
(a) Hand tools.
3. Who is Julia?
(a) The dark-haired girl.
(b) A person who Winston invents for his job.
(c) A member of the Thought Police.
(d) A storeowner who Winston knows.
4. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Chanting and walking by.
(b) Humming and painting.
(c) Singing and hanging laundry.
(d) Whistling and gardening.
5. What is Winston's nickname for his wife?
(a) The human soundtrack.
(b) She who must be obeyed.
(d) The wicked witch of Oceania.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia think is behind the picture in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. What do the proles call rocketbombs?
3. What is the resistance to the Party called?
4. What keeps falling on London?
5. According to Part 1, Chapter 7, where does hope lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
2. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
3. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
4. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
5. What might the woman singing in the street symbolizes?
6. Look up the word "proletariat" in the dictionary. What does it mean? Why does the Party ignore the proles? Is this strange?
7. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
8. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
9. Why does Winston think Syme will be vaporized? What does Syme lack?
10. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)