|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Winston's apartment called?
(a) Oceania View.
(b) Grenadier Apartments.
(c) Victory Mansions.
(d) London House.
2. What type of flower does Winston collect before meeting the dark-haired girl?
3. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) To fix the grammar in a story about the Eurasian front.
(b) To rewrite a story about Goldstein.
(c) To correct a speech by Big Brother.
(d) To get lunch for his boss.
4. What does the Junior Anti-Sex League do?
(a) Write pamplets on sex education.
(b) Perform arbitrary castrations.
(c) Advocate complete celibacy.
(d) Hunt down adulterers and prostitutes.
5. What is there a shortage of in Oceania?
(a) Hair gel.
(b) Razor blades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used only by the proles?
2. According to Part 1, Chapter 7, where does hope lie?
3. What is the official language of Oceania?
4. Which event's preparations causes an increase in working hours in Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Winston wonders, as he had many times before, if he is a _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
2. In Winston's dream, the man O'Brien says "We will meet in the place where there is no darkness." What do you think he meant by this?
3. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
4. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
5. Syme explains that the most important part of Newspeak is not the creation of new words, but the deletion of old words. Why might this be more important? What is the true purpose of Newspeak?
6. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
7. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
8. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
9. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
10. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)