|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the first two people Winston dreams about in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His mother and sister.
(b) His wife and son.
(c) His brother and sister.
(d) His mother and father.
2. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) To correct a speech by Big Brother.
(b) To get lunch for his boss.
(c) To rewrite a story about Goldstein.
(d) To fix the grammar in a story about the Eurasian front.
3. By writing in his diary, Winston has committed a crime. What is the name of this crime?
4. What important thing does Winston do when he comes home in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) He makes a plan to assassinate Big Brother.
(b) He attempts suicide.
(c) He starts a diary.
(d) He gets drunk.
5. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
(a) The OCCB.
(b) The FFCC.
(c) The INGSOC.
(d) The FDA.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Winston's "friend" who works at the Research Department?
2. What does Winston think will happen to Syme?
3. Where did Oceania recently have a military victory?
4. In Newspeak, what word will eventually replace "bad"?
5. According to Part 1, Chapter 7, where does hope lie?
Short Essay Questions
1. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
2. Why do you think Winston was unable to prevent himself from having sex with the prostitute?
3. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
4. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
6. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
7. Why are the proles the only force capable of overthrowing the Party?
8. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
9. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
10. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)