|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What smell is common to Winston's apartment building?
(b) Stewed beef.
2. Who spoils Winston's plans to sit with the dark-haired girl in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
(a) Thoughtcrime IS death.
(b) Thoughtcrime keeps one sane.
(c) Thoughtcrime is illegal.
(d) Thoughtcrime prevents death.
4. Who are the first two people Winston dreams about in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His wife and son.
(b) His mother and father.
(c) His mother and sister.
(d) His brother and sister.
5. What is used only by the proles?
(c) Hand tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what is Tillotson?
2. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
3. With whom is Oceania at war?
4. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Winston's dream, the man O'Brien says "We will meet in the place where there is no darkness." What do you think he meant by this?
2. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
3. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
4. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
5. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
6. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
7. How does the dark-haired girl's note affect Winston? Has it changed his outlook?
8. Why does Winston think Syme will be vaporized? What does Syme lack?
9. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
10. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)