|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winston think will happen to Syme?
(a) He will die from drinking too much gin.
(b) He will flee Oceania.
(c) He will become Big Brother.
(d) He will be vaporized.
2. Who are the first two people Winston dreams about in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His mother and father.
(b) His wife and son.
(c) His mother and sister.
(d) His brother and sister.
3. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
(a) Thoughtcrime IS death.
(b) Thoughtcrime prevents death.
(c) Thoughtcrime is illegal.
(d) Thoughtcrime keeps one sane.
4. What important thing does Winston do when he comes home in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) He makes a plan to assassinate Big Brother.
(b) He starts a diary.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He attempts suicide.
5. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
(a) The INGSOC.
(b) The FFCC.
(c) The OCCB.
(d) The FDA.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
2. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of Winston's wife?
4. Why does Winston have to falsify production reports?
5. What does Julia think is behind the picture in Part 2, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to O'Brien, where does reality exist?
2. Why does Winston think Syme will be vaporized? What does Syme lack?
3. What is the most important theme of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and why?
4. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
5. What do Winston and Julia mean when they say "We are the dead?"
6. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
7. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
8. Winston feels the worst things about life in Oceania are not its "cruelty and insecurity," but "its bareness, its dinginess, its listlessness." Why might he feels this way?
9. How does Winston feel about physical pain? How does this relate to what you know about Winston's character?
10. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)