|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of flower does Winston collect before meeting the dark-haired girl?
2. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) To fix the grammar in a story about the Eurasian front.
(b) To rewrite a story about Goldstein.
(c) To get lunch for his boss.
(d) To correct a speech by Big Brother.
3. By writing in his diary, Winston has committed a crime. What is the name of this crime?
4. What does Mrs. Parsons want Winston to do in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Fix her sink.
(b) Take her children to town.
(c) Give a message to her husband.
(d) Look after her children.
5. What fell on Colchester?
(a) A meteorite.
(b) A UFO.
(c) A rocketbomb.
(d) An atomic bomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper does Winston re-write?
2. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
3. What is the name of the mandatory morning exercise program?
4. What does Winston write repeatedly in his diary after thinking about the Two Minutes Hate?
5. With whom is Oceania at war?
Short Essay Questions
1. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
2. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
3. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
4. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
5. Look up the word "proletariat" in the dictionary. What does it mean? Why does the Party ignore the proles? Is this strange?
6. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
7. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
8. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
9. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
10. Where does Winston work, and what is his job? Why does he have to do this?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)