|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having an improper expression is called a ________.
2. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
(c) Thought Police.
3. What does the woman in the telescreen call Winston?
(a) 6079 W.S.
(b) W. Smith 6079.
(c) 6079 Smith W.
(d) Winston Smith 6079.
4. Consorting with prostitutes was "dangerous, ___________________." (Part 1, Chapter 6)
(a) But it was not a life-and-death matter.
(b) And should never be attempted.
(c) And would always be that way.
(d) But necessary to keep one's sanity.
5. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
(c) Big Brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Parsons' children to do the old market-woman?
2. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
3. What happened to the Inner Party member with whom Julia had her first affair?
4. What is used only by the proles?
5. What is the resistance to the Party called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winston keep thinking about O'Brien? What does O'Brien represents to Winston?
2. How would you have reacted to the note? What would you have done differently, and why?
3. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
4. What is the significance is behind Winston's dream about his mother? How might she have died?
5. Judging by the dream Winston has about the girl with dark hair, how does he appear to feel about her?
6. What might the woman singing in the street symbolizes?
7. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
8. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
9. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
10. When Winston was young, he and his family had to take shelter in a subway station because London was being attacked. An old man was crying, "We didn't ought to have trusted them." Who should not have trusted?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)