|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Winston's wife?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Love her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Pay her off.
3. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
(a) The OCCB.
(b) The FDA.
(c) The INGSOC.
(d) The FFCC.
4. By writing in his diary, Winston has committed a crime. What is the name of this crime?
5. What doesn't Winston give Ogilvy?
(a) The Keys to the City.
(b) The Order of Conspicuous Merit.
(c) The Silver Cross.
(d) The Order of Oceania.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
2. Having an improper expression is called a ________.
3. What does Winston buy in the junk shop?
4. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what is one of the latest, favorite phrases of the Ministry of Plenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Winston kisses Julia, he feels "incredulity and pride ... but he had no physical desire." Why do you think he feels this way? What does it reveal about why he needs Julia?
2. Why will no Party woman wear perfume?
3. Look up the word "proletariat" in the dictionary. What does it mean? Why does the Party ignore the proles? Is this strange?
4. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
6. Why doesn't Winston kill the girl with the dark hair? Who else doesn't he kill for very similar reasons?
7. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
8. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." What is a palimpsest, and why do you think the author used this word?
9. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
10. Winston fears that the dark-haired girl is not a member of the Thought Police; instead, she is an amateur spy. Why do you think the latter is more dangerous?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)