|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
(a) He was from Eurasia.
(b) They heard him swearing at Big Brother.
(c) He was wearing strange shoes.
(d) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
2. In Newspeak, what word will eventually replace "bad"?
3. What does one of the Parsons children use to hit Winston in the neck?
(a) A catapult.
(b) A pellet gun.
(c) A rock.
(d) A slingshot.
4. Who/what is Tillotson?
(a) A fat, sweaty, mess of a man.
(b) A small, precise-looking, dark-chinned man.
(c) A large, feeble-minded, automoton.
(d) A skinny, pale-faced, ghost.
5. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what will be Julia and Winston's next meeting place?
2. What does Winston buy in the junk shop?
3. What is Winston's nickname for his wife?
4. What is the ideal way for children to be conceived in Oceania?
5. Having an improper expression is called a ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
2. What might the woman singing in the street symbolizes?
3. Doublethink is believing that something is true when you know it is false. Do you really think that doublethink is possible? Can you find any examples of doublethink in the real world?
4. Who was comrade Ogilvy, and what was he like? How did he supposedly die?
5. How have Winston's feelings towards Julia changed by Part 2, Chapter 4?
6. The sandy-haired woman in the cubicle next to Winston spends all day deleting any record of people who have been "vaporized," even though her own husband had been killed this way. How do you think she felt when she deleted her own husband's name? Why does she continue to do this job?
7. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
8. Describe Winston's marriage. Why did he separate from his wife?
9. Why does the Party turn a blind eye to prostitution? What type of sex will it not allow?
10. What is the difference between Winston and Julia's feelings about their future?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)