|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
(a) The war.
(b) The meaning of love.
(c) Big Brother's smile.
(d) His personal rebellion.
2. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Antonio, from Europe.
(b) Sven, from Sweden.
(c) Stephen, from North America.
(d) Martin, from Asia.
3. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Running away in panic.
(b) Shielding her child from bullets.
(c) Throwing a grenade.
(d) Standing in front of a tank.
4. What should be the starting point to Winston's thoughts, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Oceania will never be free.
(b) The revolution is inevitable.
(c) Winston will die alone.
(d) The rule of the Party is forever.
5. Does Winston believe in God?
(b) He is agnostic.
(c) He doesn't care.
6. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) A song.
(b) His love for Big Brother.
(c) The gin.
(d) His miserable life.
7. What is the only thing Winston and Julia are not capable of doing?
(a) Betraying their country.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Separating and never seeing each other again.
(d) Killing many innocent people.
8. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
(a) Anyone else.
9. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Near a window, judging by the fresh-smelling air.
(b) On the top floor of the Ministry of Love.
(c) On the ground floor.
(d) Deep underground.
10. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
(a) White marble.
(b) White plastic.
(c) White porcelain.
(d) White linoleum.
11. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
12. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) A bed of nails.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A slab of granite.
13. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
14. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(d) The wheel.
15. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
(a) Big Brother was everywhere.
(b) Atomic bombs were falling.
(c) There was never enough to eat.
(d) His mother never loved him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
2. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 5, who has been vaporized?
4. What does the area where Inner Party members live smell like?
5. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)