|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By Part 2, what is waiting for Winston?
(c) The grave.
2. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
(a) You are the dead.
(b) You have been betrayed.
(c) You are not as smart as you think you are.
(d) Get down on the ground.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
(a) I love Big Brother.
(b) Two and two make four.
(c) Freedom is Slavery.
(d) God is Power.
4. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Throwing a grenade.
(b) Standing in front of a tank.
(c) Running away in panic.
(d) Shielding her child from bullets.
5. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) A song.
(b) The gin.
(c) His miserable life.
(d) His love for Big Brother.
6. Who is Oceania at war with in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(b) The African Alliance.
(c) Pax Americana.
7. What does Winston realize about secrets?
(a) That they burned holes in your consciousness.
(b) That they can never be kept.
(c) That they are the last refuge of mankind.
(d) That you must keep them from yourself.
8. What will be the one certain thing about Winston's death?
(a) It will be certain.
(b) That it will erase him.
(c) That the time can't be expected.
(d) That it will be painful.
9. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
(a) His personal rebellion.
(b) The war.
(c) Big Brother's smile.
(d) The meaning of love.
10. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
(b) Pol Pot.
11. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Straight up, on the rocks.
(b) Saccharine with cloves.
(c) Mint on ice.
(d) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
12. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
(a) Atomic bombs were falling.
(b) There was never enough to eat.
(c) Big Brother was everywhere.
(d) His mother never loved him.
13. What is the reason for O'Brien's encounter with Winston?
(a) So O'Brien can warn Winston about information the Thought Police have on him.
(b) So O'Brien can give Winston his address.
(c) So O'Brien can give Winston a book.
(d) There is no reason for the encounter.
14. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Four months.
(c) Ten years.
(d) His entire life.
15. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) His spine.
(b) His femur.
(c) His collarbone.
(d) His skull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
2. What is the only thing Winston and Julia are not capable of doing?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
4. What does the Party claim to have invented?
5. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)