|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
(b) The Ministry of Love.
2. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Running away in panic.
(b) Shielding her child from bullets.
(c) Throwing a grenade.
(d) Standing in front of a tank.
3. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
(b) Pol Pot.
4. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
(a) The truth.
(b) Julia's will.
(c) The inner heart.
(d) The Ministry of Love.
5. What should be the starting point to Winston's thoughts, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Oceania will never be free.
(b) The rule of the Party is forever.
(c) The revolution is inevitable.
(d) Winston will die alone.
6. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
(a) To be executed.
(b) To be made sane.
(c) To be given a fair trial.
(d) To be loved.
7. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(d) The wheel.
8. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) At the Community Center.
(b) With Julia.
(c) At home, writing in his diary.
(d) At a rally.
9. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(b) Saccharine with cloves.
(c) Mint on ice.
(d) Straight up, on the rocks.
10. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) On the top floor of the Ministry of Love.
(b) Deep underground.
(c) Near a window, judging by the fresh-smelling air.
(d) On the ground floor.
11. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
12. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch.
(b) When I grow old, say the bells of Seahold.
(c) When I grow tired, say the bells of Beachpyre.
(d) When I grow flowers, say the bells of Haight Towers.
13. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(c) Stability in society.
14. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
(a) Torture, brainwashing, death.
(b) Learning, understanding, acceptance.
(c) Introduction, intermission, conclusion.
(d) Pain, receiving, enlightenment.
15. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) As much as Winston is.
(b) Without a cause.
(c) In disguise.
(d) From the waist down.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the proles normally feel about the war?
2. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
3. What differentiates the way O'Brien speaks from other Inner Party members?
4. Where were rats a common punishment?
5. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)