|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
(a) The paperweight.
(b) Winston's ego.
(c) The bed.
(d) Julia's knee.
2. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) When I grow flowers, say the bells of Haight Towers.
(b) When I grow tired, say the bells of Beachpyre.
(c) When I grow old, say the bells of Seahold.
(d) When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch.
3. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
(a) To be made sane.
(b) To be given a fair trial.
(c) To be loved.
(d) To be executed.
4. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(b) A bed of nails.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A slab of granite.
5. What were the police holding when they arrested Winston and Julia?
6. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
7. How do the proles normally feel about the war?
8. What does the area where Inner Party members live smell like?
(a) Good food and good wine.
(b) Good food and good coffee.
(c) Good food and good tobacco.
(d) Good food and good friends.
9. What will happen thirty seconds after Winston leaves O'Brien's house?
(a) A revolution will start.
(b) It will rain.
(c) The Thought Police will arrive.
(d) O'Brien will continue working.
10. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
(a) The Thought Police.
(b) The Ministry of Plenty.
(c) The Transportation Authority.
(d) The Tax Collection Agency.
11. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) In transit to the labor camps.
(b) In O'Brien's office.
(c) Dead, in hell.
(d) The Ministry of Love.
12. What does Mr. Charrington order the officers to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Pick up the pieces of the paperweight.
(b) Kill Julia.
(c) Stand down.
(d) Let them go.
13. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Throwing a grenade.
(b) Shielding her child from bullets.
(c) Standing in front of a tank.
(d) Running away in panic.
14. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
(a) Anyone else.
15. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Click shut.
(b) Fail to open due to rust.
(d) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Winston believe in God?
2. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
3. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
4. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
5. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)