|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
(b) Gold plated.
(c) Gold ink.
2. By Part 2, what is waiting for Winston?
(c) The grave.
3. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
4. What is the most feared place in the Ministry of Love?
(a) The Room of Pain.
(b) Room X.
(c) Room 101.
(d) Room 666.
5. What does O'Brien show to Winston in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) The photograph of the three Party members.
(b) The photograph of his mother and sister.
(c) The photograph of Big Brother.
(d) The photograph of Julia's corpse.
6. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
(a) Airstrip One.
(c) The FFCC.
7. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
(a) A clerical position in the Ministry of Love.
(b) A sub-committee of a sub-committee.
(c) The board of directors for Inner Party affairs.
(d) A cabinet position in the government.
8. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) At the Community Center.
(b) With Julia.
(c) At a rally.
(d) At home, writing in his diary.
9. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
(d) Anyone else.
10. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
11. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) In O'Brien's office.
(b) In transit to the labor camps.
(c) The Ministry of Love.
(d) Dead, in hell.
12. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Throwing a grenade.
(b) Shielding her child from bullets.
(c) Standing in front of a tank.
(d) Running away in panic.
13. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Near a window, judging by the fresh-smelling air.
(b) Deep underground.
(c) On the ground floor.
(d) On the top floor of the Ministry of Love.
14. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) Without a cause.
(b) From the waist down.
(c) In disguise.
(d) As much as Winston is.
15. How many fingers is O'Brien holding up in Part 3, Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Parsons arrested?
2. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
3. What does everybody do when tortured?
4. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
5. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)