|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everybody do when tortured?
(a) Repent their sins.
(d) Bleed to death.
2. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
(a) To be executed.
(b) To be made sane.
(c) To be loved.
(d) To be given a fair trial.
3. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) Franco's Spain.
(b) Imperial China.
(c) The USSR.
(d) Nazi Germany.
4. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
(a) Big Brother, and O'Brien edited it.
(c) O'Brien, by himself.
(d) O'Brien, with collaborators.
5. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
(b) Pol Pot.
6. How does Winston feel towards Big Brother?
(a) He hates him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He feels that he has become him.
(d) He is mystified by him.
7. What is the theme song of Hate Week?
(a) I Hate.
(b) The Hate Song.
(c) Hatred, We Love You.
(d) Big Brother's Hatest Hits.
8. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(d) Stability in society.
9. Does Winston believe in God?
(a) He is agnostic.
(c) He doesn't care.
10. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) From the waist down.
(b) As much as Winston is.
(c) Without a cause.
(d) In disguise.
11. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Throwing a grenade.
(b) Shielding her child from bullets.
(c) Running away in panic.
(d) Standing in front of a tank.
12. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
(a) He was wearing strange shoes.
(b) He used the word.
(c) His parents were from Eurasia.
(d) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
13. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(b) The wheel.
14. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
(a) You have been betrayed.
(b) You are not as smart as you think you are.
(c) Get down on the ground.
(d) You are the dead.
15. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
(a) Gold plated.
(b) Gold ink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
3. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
4. What will be the one certain thing about Winston's death?
5. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)