|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
(a) God is Power.
(b) I love Big Brother.
(c) Freedom is Slavery.
(d) Two and two make four.
2. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
(a) Introduction, intermission, conclusion.
(b) Learning, understanding, acceptance.
(c) Torture, brainwashing, death.
(d) Pain, receiving, enlightenment.
3. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
(a) His parents were from Eurasia.
(b) He was wearing strange shoes.
(c) He used the word.
(d) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
4. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Sven, from Sweden.
(b) Stephen, from North America.
(c) Antonio, from Europe.
(d) Martin, from Asia.
5. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
(a) Airstrip One.
(c) The FFCC.
6. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
(a) The Tax Collection Agency.
(b) The Thought Police.
(c) The Transportation Authority.
(d) The Ministry of Plenty.
7. What is in Room 101?
(b) Pain beyond imagination.
(c) Certain death.
(d) The worst thing in the world.
8. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Make them love Big Brother.
(c) Make them stop loving each other.
(d) Make them stay in Oceania.
9. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(b) Saccharine with cloves.
(c) Mint on ice.
(d) Straight up, on the rocks.
10. By Part 2, what is waiting for Winston?
(a) The grave.
11. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
(a) Winston's ego.
(b) The paperweight.
(c) Julia's knee.
(d) The bed.
12. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) To hand over information about the Brotherhood.
(b) To put somebody between himself and the rats.
(c) To become an Inner Party member like O'Brien.
(d) To slit his wrists with the smuggled razor blade.
13. How many fingers is O'Brien holding up in Part 3, Chapter 2?
14. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(b) Free time to write.
15. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen thirty seconds after Winston leaves O'Brien's house?
2. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
3. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
4. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
5. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)