|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
2. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
(c) Pol Pot.
3. By Part 2, what is waiting for Winston?
(c) The grave.
4. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
(a) Learning, understanding, acceptance.
(b) Pain, receiving, enlightenment.
(c) Torture, brainwashing, death.
(d) Introduction, intermission, conclusion.
5. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
(a) Atomic bombs were falling.
(b) Big Brother was everywhere.
(c) His mother never loved him.
(d) There was never enough to eat.
6. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) His miserable life.
(b) His love for Big Brother.
(c) A song.
(d) The gin.
7. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) At the Community Center.
(b) At a rally.
(c) At home, writing in his diary.
(d) With Julia.
8. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(b) A bed of nails.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A slab of granite.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(b) Free time to write.
10. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
(a) Winston's ego.
(b) The paperweight.
(c) The bed.
(d) Julia's knee.
11. What is in Room 101?
(b) The worst thing in the world.
(c) Pain beyond imagination.
(d) Certain death.
12. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) His entire life.
(b) Four months.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Ten years.
13. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(d) The wheel.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 5, who has been vaporized?
15. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(b) Fail to open due to rust.
(d) Click shut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Winston feel sick in Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
3. What does Winston realize about secrets?
4. What is the only thing Winston and Julia are not capable of doing?
5. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)