|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) To slit his wrists with the smuggled razor blade.
(b) To put somebody between himself and the rats.
(c) To become an Inner Party member like O'Brien.
(d) To hand over information about the Brotherhood.
2. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
(b) Pol Pot.
3. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
4. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Make them stay in Oceania.
(b) Make them love Big Brother.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Make them stop loving each other.
5. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
(a) The FFCC.
(b) The Ministry of Truth.
(c) The Brotherhood.
(d) The Thought Police.
6. What does Mr. Charrington order the officers to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Stand down.
(b) Kill Julia.
(c) Let them go.
(d) Pick up the pieces of the paperweight.
7. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
(a) White plastic.
(b) White porcelain.
(c) White marble.
(d) White linoleum.
8. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
(a) In the cabinet.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) In the ceiling.
(d) Behind the picture.
9. Why was Parsons arrested?
(a) He wanted to change the name of Hate Week.
(b) He killed his wife and children.
(c) He is guilty of Thoughtcrime.
(d) He was slacking off at work.
10. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
11. What does everybody do when tortured?
(a) Bleed to death.
(c) Repent their sins.
12. What is the reason for O'Brien's encounter with Winston?
(a) So O'Brien can warn Winston about information the Thought Police have on him.
(b) There is no reason for the encounter.
(c) So O'Brien can give Winston his address.
(d) So O'Brien can give Winston a book.
13. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) At a rally.
(b) At home, writing in his diary.
(c) With Julia.
(d) At the Community Center.
14. Who does Julia think is really launching the rocketbombs?
(a) The Brotherhood.
(b) The Party.
(c) The proles.
15. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(d) Stability in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
3. What will happen thirty seconds after Winston leaves O'Brien's house?
4. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
5. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)