|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Winston feel towards Big Brother?
(a) He loves him.
(b) He hates him.
(c) He is mystified by him.
(d) He feels that he has become him.
2. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(d) Stability in society.
3. What is the only thing Winston and Julia are not capable of doing?
(a) Separating and never seeing each other again.
(b) Betraying their country.
(c) Killing many innocent people.
(d) Committing suicide.
4. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
(a) White linoleum.
(b) White marble.
(c) White porcelain.
(d) White plastic.
5. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
(a) They can take nice, long vacations.
(b) They can turn their telescreens off.
(c) They can kill at will.
(d) They can choose from Party women.
6. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
7. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Make them stop loving each other.
(b) Make them love Big Brother.
(c) Make them stay in Oceania.
(d) Kill them.
8. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
(a) Julia's knee.
(b) The bed.
(c) The paperweight.
(d) Winston's ego.
9. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Sven, from Sweden.
(b) Martin, from Asia.
(c) Stephen, from North America.
(d) Antonio, from Europe.
10. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) Franco's Spain.
(c) Imperial China.
(d) The USSR.
11. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
12. Does Winston believe in God?
(c) He is agnostic.
(d) He doesn't care.
13. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
(a) A clerical position in the Ministry of Love.
(b) A cabinet position in the government.
(c) A sub-committee of a sub-committee.
(d) The board of directors for Inner Party affairs.
14. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
(b) Airstrip One.
(d) The FFCC.
15. What is the theme song of Hate Week?
(a) Hatred, We Love You.
(b) Big Brother's Hatest Hits.
(c) I Hate.
(d) The Hate Song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the police holding when they arrested Winston and Julia?
2. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
3. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
4. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
5. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)