|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winston realize about secrets?
(a) That you must keep them from yourself.
(b) That they can never be kept.
(c) That they burned holes in your consciousness.
(d) That they are the last refuge of mankind.
2. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
(a) White linoleum.
(b) White plastic.
(c) White porcelain.
(d) White marble.
3. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) To hand over information about the Brotherhood.
(b) To put somebody between himself and the rats.
(c) To become an Inner Party member like O'Brien.
(d) To slit his wrists with the smuggled razor blade.
4. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
(c) The Ministry of Love.
5. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(b) Imperial China.
(c) Franco's Spain.
(d) The USSR.
6. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) His skull.
(b) His femur.
(c) His spine.
(d) His collarbone.
7. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Fail to open due to rust.
(b) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(c) Click shut.
8. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
(b) Airstrip One.
(d) The FFCC.
9. What does everybody do when tortured?
(b) Repent their sins.
(c) Bleed to death.
10. How many fingers is O'Brien holding up in Part 3, Chapter 2?
11. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
12. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
(a) The Tax Collection Agency.
(b) The Transportation Authority.
(c) The Ministry of Plenty.
(d) The Thought Police.
13. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(d) Stability in society.
14. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
(a) A sub-committee of a sub-committee.
(b) A cabinet position in the government.
(c) A clerical position in the Ministry of Love.
(d) The board of directors for Inner Party affairs.
15. How does Winston feel towards Big Brother?
(a) He hates him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He feels that he has become him.
(d) He is mystified by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
3. Who does Julia think is really launching the rocketbombs?
4. What is the most feared place in the Ministry of Love?
5. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)