|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
(b) O'Brien, with collaborators.
(c) Big Brother, and O'Brien edited it.
(d) O'Brien, by himself.
2. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) With Julia.
(b) At home, writing in his diary.
(c) At the Community Center.
(d) At a rally.
3. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Straight up, on the rocks.
(b) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(c) Saccharine with cloves.
(d) Mint on ice.
4. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
5. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Make them stop loving each other.
(b) Make them love Big Brother.
(c) Make them stay in Oceania.
(d) Kill them.
6. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
(a) The inner heart.
(b) Julia's will.
(c) The truth.
(d) The Ministry of Love.
7. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
(a) The Transportation Authority.
(b) The Thought Police.
(c) The Tax Collection Agency.
(d) The Ministry of Plenty.
8. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
(a) Under the bed.
(b) Behind the picture.
(c) In the cabinet.
(d) In the ceiling.
9. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
(a) Get down on the ground.
(b) You are not as smart as you think you are.
(c) You have been betrayed.
(d) You are the dead.
10. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
(a) They can turn their telescreens off.
(b) They can take nice, long vacations.
(c) They can kill at will.
(d) They can choose from Party women.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(a) Free time to write.
12. What is the theme song of Hate Week?
(a) Big Brother's Hatest Hits.
(b) Hatred, We Love You.
(c) I Hate.
(d) The Hate Song.
13. What differentiates the way O'Brien speaks from other Inner Party members?
(a) A peculiar grave courtesy.
(b) An odd humourous tone.
(c) A strange sort of tick.
(d) A warm welcoming manner.
14. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
(b) Anyone else.
15. Why was Parsons arrested?
(a) He killed his wife and children.
(b) He is guilty of Thoughtcrime.
(c) He wanted to change the name of Hate Week.
(d) He was slacking off at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. What makes Winston feel sick in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
4. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)