|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Make them stay in Oceania.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Make them love Big Brother.
(d) Make them stop loving each other.
2. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
(a) The Thought Police.
(b) The Transportation Authority.
(c) The Tax Collection Agency.
(d) The Ministry of Plenty.
3. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
(d) Anyone else.
4. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(b) Click shut.
(c) Fail to open due to rust.
6. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) As much as Winston is.
(b) Without a cause.
(c) From the waist down.
(d) In disguise.
7. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) His entire life.
(d) Four months.
8. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
(a) In the ceiling.
(b) Behind the picture.
(c) In the cabinet.
(d) Under the bed.
9. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
(a) Get down on the ground.
(b) You are not as smart as you think you are.
(c) You are the dead.
(d) You have been betrayed.
10. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) To become an Inner Party member like O'Brien.
(b) To put somebody between himself and the rats.
(c) To slit his wrists with the smuggled razor blade.
(d) To hand over information about the Brotherhood.
11. By Part 2, what is waiting for Winston?
(b) The grave.
12. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(d) The wheel.
13. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(c) Free time to write.
14. What does Winston realize about secrets?
(a) That they are the last refuge of mankind.
(b) That they can never be kept.
(c) That they burned holes in your consciousness.
(d) That you must keep them from yourself.
15. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
(a) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
(b) He was wearing strange shoes.
(c) His parents were from Eurasia.
(d) He used the word.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the police holding when they arrested Winston and Julia?
2. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
3. What is the most feared place in the Ministry of Love?
4. What will happen thirty seconds after Winston leaves O'Brien's house?
5. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)