|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Four months.
(d) His entire life.
2. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(b) The wheel.
3. What bone is Winston especially afraid will break in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) His femur.
(b) His skull.
(c) His collarbone.
(d) His spine.
4. What is the reason for O'Brien's encounter with Winston?
(a) So O'Brien can give Winston a book.
(b) There is no reason for the encounter.
(c) So O'Brien can warn Winston about information the Thought Police have on him.
(d) So O'Brien can give Winston his address.
5. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) In transit to the labor camps.
(b) In O'Brien's office.
(c) The Ministry of Love.
(d) Dead, in hell.
6. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Martin, from Asia.
(b) Sven, from Sweden.
(c) Antonio, from Europe.
(d) Stephen, from North America.
7. How do the proles normally feel about the war?
8. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) The USSR.
(b) Nazi Germany.
(c) Franco's Spain.
(d) Imperial China.
9. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
(a) The inner heart.
(b) The Ministry of Love.
(c) The truth.
(d) Julia's will.
10. What is the most feared place in the Ministry of Love?
(a) Room 666.
(b) Room X.
(c) Room 101.
(d) The Room of Pain.
11. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
(c) Gold plated.
(d) Gold ink.
12. What was smashed during the arrest of Winston and Julia?
(a) The bed.
(b) Winston's ego.
(c) The paperweight.
(d) Julia's knee.
13. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Saccharine with cloves.
(b) Straight up, on the rocks.
(c) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(d) Mint on ice.
14. What is the only thing that the Party cannot do to Winston and Julia?
(a) Make them stop loving each other.
(b) Make them stay in Oceania.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Make them love Big Brother.
15. Who does Julia think is really launching the rocketbombs?
(a) The Party.
(b) The proles.
(c) The Brotherhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
2. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
3. What is the only thing Winston and Julia are not capable of doing?
4. What does O'Brien show to Winston in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)