|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
(b) The FFCC.
(c) Airstrip One.
2. Who is Oceania at war with in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(c) Pax Americana.
(d) The African Alliance.
3. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Four months.
(c) Seven years.
(d) His entire life.
4. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
5. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
(a) In the cabinet.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) In the ceiling.
(d) Behind the picture.
6. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Deep underground.
(b) On the top floor of the Ministry of Love.
(c) Near a window, judging by the fresh-smelling air.
(d) On the ground floor.
7. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His plumber.
(b) His servant.
(c) His comrade.
(d) His wife.
8. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Martin, from Asia.
(b) Stephen, from North America.
(c) Antonio, from Europe.
(d) Sven, from Sweden.
9. What is the only thing Winston and Julia are not capable of doing?
(a) Committing suicide.
(b) Betraying their country.
(c) Killing many innocent people.
(d) Separating and never seeing each other again.
10. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
(c) The Ministry of Love.
11. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) In disguise.
(b) Without a cause.
(c) As much as Winston is.
(d) From the waist down.
12. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
(a) The meaning of love.
(b) His personal rebellion.
(c) Big Brother's smile.
(d) The war.
13. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(c) Stability in society.
14. What will happen thirty seconds after Winston leaves O'Brien's house?
(a) It will rain.
(b) The Thought Police will arrive.
(c) O'Brien will continue working.
(d) A revolution will start.
15. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(c) Fail to open due to rust.
(d) Click shut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
3. What makes Winston feel sick in Part 3, Chapter 4?
4. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
5. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)