|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Winston believe in God?
(b) He is agnostic.
(d) He doesn't care.
2. Who is Oceania at war with in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) The African Alliance.
(b) Pax Americana.
3. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
(a) There was never enough to eat.
(b) His mother never loved him.
(c) Atomic bombs were falling.
(d) Big Brother was everywhere.
4. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) The Ministry of Love.
(b) Dead, in hell.
(c) In transit to the labor camps.
(d) In O'Brien's office.
5. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) When I grow flowers, say the bells of Haight Towers.
(b) When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch.
(c) When I grow old, say the bells of Seahold.
(d) When I grow tired, say the bells of Beachpyre.
6. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Mint on ice.
(b) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(c) Straight up, on the rocks.
(d) Saccharine with cloves.
7. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
(a) They can choose from Party women.
(b) They can kill at will.
(c) They can turn their telescreens off.
(d) They can take nice, long vacations.
8. Of what are the walls of Winston's cell made?
(a) White porcelain.
(b) White marble.
(c) White plastic.
(d) White linoleum.
9. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
10. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His plumber.
(b) His servant.
(c) His comrade.
(d) His wife.
11. How long has O'Brien been watching Winston?
(a) Four months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) His entire life.
(d) Seven years.
12. What makes Winston feel sick in Part 3, Chapter 4?
13. What does O'Brien show to Winston in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) The photograph of his mother and sister.
(b) The photograph of Big Brother.
(c) The photograph of Julia's corpse.
(d) The photograph of the three Party members.
14. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
15. What is the most feared place in the Ministry of Love?
(a) Room 666.
(b) The Room of Pain.
(c) Room X.
(d) Room 101.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. According to Part 3, Chapter 6, who is Oceania at war with, and has always been at war with?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 5, who has been vaporized?
4. What were the police holding when they arrested Winston and Julia?
5. What words bring the beginning of the end for Julia and Winston?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)