|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the object of power, according to O'Brien?
(b) Stability in society.
2. Where does Winston think he is in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) On the top floor of the Ministry of Love.
(b) Deep underground.
(c) Near a window, judging by the fresh-smelling air.
(d) On the ground floor.
3. What has it taken Winston forty years to learn the nature of?
(a) The war.
(b) His personal rebellion.
(c) The meaning of love.
(d) Big Brother's smile.
4. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) Imperial China.
(b) The USSR.
(c) Franco's Spain.
(d) Nazi Germany.
5. Who does Julia think is really launching the rocketbombs?
(a) The proles.
(b) The Party.
(c) The Brotherhood.
6. What does the Party claim to have invented?
(a) The wheel.
7. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His servant.
(b) His comrade.
(c) His wife.
(d) His plumber.
8. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Straight up, on the rocks.
(b) Mint on ice.
(c) Saccharine with cloves.
(d) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
9. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
10. What is the theme song of Hate Week?
(a) I Hate.
(b) The Hate Song.
(c) Big Brother's Hatest Hits.
(d) Hatred, We Love You.
11. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Shielding her child from bullets.
(b) Running away in panic.
(c) Standing in front of a tank.
(d) Throwing a grenade.
12. Where does Winston think he is at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) In O'Brien's office.
(b) Dead, in hell.
(c) In transit to the labor camps.
(d) The Ministry of Love.
13. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Click shut.
(c) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
(d) Fail to open due to rust.
14. What does Mr. Charrington order the officers to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Pick up the pieces of the paperweight.
(b) Stand down.
(c) Let them go.
(d) Kill Julia.
15. What was the only way for Winston to save himself in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) To slit his wrists with the smuggled razor blade.
(b) To become an Inner Party member like O'Brien.
(c) To hand over information about the Brotherhood.
(d) To put somebody between himself and the rats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Goldstein's book?
2. What is the only efficient thing in Oceania?
3. What does O'Brien show to Winston in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. Why was Parsons arrested?
5. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)