|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
(c) The Ministry of Love.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(a) Free time to write.
3. By Part 3, Chapter 6, to what has Winston been appointed?
(a) A cabinet position in the government.
(b) A clerical position in the Ministry of Love.
(c) A sub-committee of a sub-committee.
(d) The board of directors for Inner Party affairs.
4. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
(a) Atomic bombs were falling.
(b) There was never enough to eat.
(c) His mother never loved him.
(d) Big Brother was everywhere.
5. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
(a) Pain, receiving, enlightenment.
(b) Learning, understanding, acceptance.
(c) Torture, brainwashing, death.
(d) Introduction, intermission, conclusion.
6. Julia is only a rebel __________.
(a) Without a cause.
(b) In disguise.
(c) As much as Winston is.
(d) From the waist down.
7. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
(a) Julia's will.
(b) The inner heart.
(c) The truth.
(d) The Ministry of Love.
8. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
(a) The Thought Police.
(b) The Brotherhood.
(c) The Ministry of Truth.
(d) The FFCC.
9. Why was Parsons arrested?
(a) He killed his wife and children.
(b) He is guilty of Thoughtcrime.
(c) He wanted to change the name of Hate Week.
(d) He was slacking off at work.
10. What should be the starting point to Winston's thoughts, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Winston will die alone.
(b) The rule of the Party is forever.
(c) Oceania will never be free.
(d) The revolution is inevitable.
11. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) His miserable life.
(b) A song.
(c) His love for Big Brother.
(d) The gin.
12. What important word does not exist in Newspeak?
13. What is in Room 101?
(a) Certain death.
(b) Pain beyond imagination.
(c) The worst thing in the world.
14. What is the title of Emmanuel Goldstein's book?
(a) The Theory and Practice of Elitist Governance.
(b) The Theory and Practice of Anarchist Libertarianism.
(c) The Theory and Practice of Socialist Liberalism.
(d) The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.
15. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
(a) To be given a fair trial.
(b) To be executed.
(c) To be made sane.
(d) To be loved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
2. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
3. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
4. What is not statistical, as stated in Part 2, Chapter 8?
5. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)