|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the specialty gin of the cafe?
(a) Saccharine with cloves.
(b) Cinnamon with tiny flecks of fake gold.
(c) Mint on ice.
(d) Straight up, on the rocks.
2. Why was Ampleforth arrested?
(a) He used the word.
(b) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
(c) His parents were from Eurasia.
(d) He was wearing strange shoes.
3. Where was the telescreen that caught Winston and Julia hidden?
(a) In the cabinet.
(b) In the ceiling.
(c) Under the bed.
(d) Behind the picture.
4. What does the cage door do in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Click shut.
(c) Fail to open due to rust.
(d) Close on one of the rats, saving Winston.
5. Who will meet Winston if O'Brien isn't home?
(a) His comrade.
(b) His plumber.
(c) His servant.
(d) His wife.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what is the third phrase Winston writes?
(a) Two and two make four.
(b) I love Big Brother.
(c) Freedom is Slavery.
(d) God is Power.
7. How does one man assert his power over another, as stated in Part 3, Chapter 3?
8. What does the area where Inner Party members live smell like?
(a) Good food and good coffee.
(b) Good food and good wine.
(c) Good food and good tobacco.
(d) Good food and good friends.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
(d) Free time to write.
10. What is the last line of the rhyme in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) When I grow old, say the bells of Seahold.
(b) When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch.
(c) When I grow tired, say the bells of Beachpyre.
(d) When I grow flowers, say the bells of Haight Towers.
11. What are the three stages to Winston's reintegration?
(a) Learning, understanding, acceptance.
(b) Introduction, intermission, conclusion.
(c) Pain, receiving, enlightenment.
(d) Torture, brainwashing, death.
12. What does O'Brien show to Winston in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) The photograph of his mother and sister.
(b) The photograph of Big Brother.
(c) The photograph of the three Party members.
(d) The photograph of Julia's corpse.
13. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
(a) The Ministry of Truth.
(b) The Brotherhood.
(c) The Thought Police.
(d) The FFCC.
14. What is not statistical, as stated in Part 2, Chapter 8?
15. Why was Parsons arrested?
(a) He killed his wife and children.
(b) He is guilty of Thoughtcrime.
(c) He wanted to change the name of Hate Week.
(d) He was slacking off at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Oceania at war with in Part 2, Chapter 8?
2. What will be the one certain thing about Winston's death?
3. What does Winston's bed feel like in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
5. What do the common criminals call the political prisoners?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)