|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pencil does O'Brien use?
(c) Gold plated.
(d) Gold ink.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 5, who has been vaporized?
3. What is the name of O'Brien's servant, and where does Winston think he is from?
(a) Stephen, from North America.
(b) Martin, from Asia.
(c) Antonio, from Europe.
(d) Sven, from Sweden.
4. What did Winston steal from his baby sister?
5. What does Mr. Charrington order the officers to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Pick up the pieces of the paperweight.
(b) Kill Julia.
(c) Let them go.
(d) Stand down.
6. What does Winston remember above all about his childhood?
(a) Big Brother was everywhere.
(b) His mother never loved him.
(c) There was never enough to eat.
(d) Atomic bombs were falling.
7. What was the refugee woman doing in Winston's dream in Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) Running away in panic.
(b) Shielding her child from bullets.
(c) Standing in front of a tank.
(d) Throwing a grenade.
8. Who does Winston say to give the rat torture to instead of him?
(a) Anyone else.
9. Where were rats a common punishment?
(a) Franco's Spain.
(b) The USSR.
(c) Imperial China.
(d) Nazi Germany.
10. What will happen thirty seconds after Winston leaves O'Brien's house?
(a) It will rain.
(b) The Thought Police will arrive.
(c) A revolution will start.
(d) O'Brien will continue working.
11. What makes Winston cry in Part 3, Chapter 6?
(a) A song.
(b) The gin.
(c) His miserable life.
(d) His love for Big Brother.
12. What differentiates the way O'Brien speaks from other Inner Party members?
(a) A peculiar grave courtesy.
(b) An odd humourous tone.
(c) A strange sort of tick.
(d) A warm welcoming manner.
13. Where was Winston when he discovered the war had switched again in Part 2, Chapter 8?
(a) At home, writing in his diary.
(b) At a rally.
(c) With Julia.
(d) At the Community Center.
14. To what organization does Mr. Charrington really belong?
(a) The FFCC.
(b) The Thought Police.
(c) The Brotherhood.
(d) The Ministry of Truth.
15. What special privilege do Inner Party members have?
(a) They can choose from Party women.
(b) They can kill at will.
(c) They can turn their telescreens off.
(d) They can take nice, long vacations.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 6, what does Winston have plenty of these days?
2. If independent thought and a diary are the first step, what is the last step?
3. Why are people brought to the Ministry of Love?
4. According to Part 2, Chapter 7, what remains impregnable?
5. Where has Winston failed to make progress by Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)