|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Parsons' children to do the old market-woman?
(a) Steal her money.
(b) Set her skirt on fire.
(c) Kick her in the shins.
(d) Shoot her cat with a catapult.
2. According to Part 1, Chapter 7, where does hope lie?
(a) Nowhere to be found.
(b) In Winston alone.
(c) With the Brotherhood.
(d) In the proles.
3. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Singing and hanging laundry.
(b) Whistling and gardening.
(c) Chanting and walking by.
(d) Humming and painting.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, where do Winston and the dark-haired girl agree to meet?
(a) Victory square, near the monument.
(b) In the train station, during rush hour.
(c) In Airstrip One, in a house.
(d) At the community center, after dark.
5. What is the most frightening ministry of Oceania's government?
(a) The Ministry of Love.
(b) The Ministry of Fear.
(c) The Ministry of Plenty.
(d) The Ministry of Peace.
6. How many kilometers can someone travel in Oceania before their passport is checked?
(a) Two hundred.
(c) One hundred.
7. What important thing does Winston do when he comes home in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) He makes a plan to assassinate Big Brother.
(b) He attempts suicide.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He starts a diary.
8. What does the prostitute not have?
(a) Change for a ten.
(b) Proper ID.
9. What is the last thing the dark-haired girl does before departing from Winston in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Hold Winston's hand.
(b) Kiss Winston.
(c) Give Winston a book.
(d) Turn Winston over to the Thought Police.
10. What is Winston's most important task of the day in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) To rewrite a story about Goldstein.
(b) To correct a speech by Big Brother.
(c) To fix the grammar in a story about the Eurasian front.
(d) To get lunch for his boss.
11. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He touches his toes.
(b) Thirty-seven jumping jacks.
(c) He clean his ears.
(d) He does yoga.
12. What is the resistance to the Party called?
(a) The Clash.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Partisans.
(d) The Brotherhood.
13. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
14. What does Mrs. Parsons want Winston to do in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Fix her sink.
(b) Look after her children.
(c) Take her children to town.
(d) Give a message to her husband.
15. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
(b) Varicose veins.
(c) Swollen lymph nodes.
(d) A varicose ulcer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Oceania recently have a military victory?
2. What do the proles call rocketbombs?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what will be Julia and Winston's next meeting place?
4. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
5. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)