|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Consorting with prostitutes was "dangerous, ___________________." (Part 1, Chapter 6)
(a) And should never be attempted.
(b) But it was not a life-and-death matter.
(c) But necessary to keep one's sanity.
(d) And would always be that way.
2. How many clothing coupons does Winston get annually?
(a) Three thousand.
(b) Four thousand.
(c) Five thousand.
(d) One hundred.
3. How many times has Julia had sex?
(a) Dozens of times.
(b) Hundreds of times.
(c) Scores of times.
(d) She's a virgin.
4. What is Winston doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6?
(c) Writing in his diary.
(d) Going for a walk.
5. What does Winston write repeatedly in his diary after thinking about the Two Minutes Hate?
(a) DOWN WITH RACISM.
(b) DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER.
(c) DOWN WITH THOUGHTCRIME.
(d) DOWN WITH THE PARTY.
6. Who spoils Winston's plans to sit with the dark-haired girl in Part 2, Chapter 1?
7. What does Winston decide to do with the prostitute?
(a) Pay her to not tell anyone he was there.
(c) Have sex with her.
(d) Kill her.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Pay her off.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Love her.
9. What urge is stronger than ever when Winston was finished writing about the prostitute?
(a) To choke down some food.
(b) To vomit profusely.
(c) To turn back time.
(d) To shout filthy words.
10. In Newspeak, what word will eventually replace "bad"?
11. Who are the first two people Winston dreams about in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His wife and son.
(b) His brother and sister.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His mother and sister.
12. What does Ampleforth have a talent for juggling?
(a) Poetry and prose.
(b) Brightly colored balls.
(c) Print and punctuation.
(d) Rhymes and meters.
13. Who/what is Tillotson?
(a) A large, feeble-minded, automoton.
(b) A skinny, pale-faced, ghost.
(c) A small, precise-looking, dark-chinned man.
(d) A fat, sweaty, mess of a man.
14. What is there a shortage of in Oceania?
(b) Hair gel.
(d) Razor blades.
15. What is the name of the waste paper disposal chute in Winston's workplace?
(a) Memory hole.
(b) Remembering hole.
(c) Forgetful hole.
(d) Throwaway hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winston's phobia?
2. What does Julia call the only safe way to talk in public?
3. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, where do Winston and the dark-haired girl agree to meet?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)