|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what is one of the latest, favorite phrases of the Ministry of Plenty?
(a) Our new, happy life.
(b) Our only way forward.
(c) What's ours is yours.
(d) Our modern world in all its glory.
2. What does Winston buy in the junk shop?
(a) A paperweight.
(b) A desk lamp.
(c) A fountain pen.
(d) An ink blotter.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Pay her off.
(c) Divorce her.
(d) Love her.
4. What edition of the Newspeak dictionary is currently being written?
(a) The Tenth.
(b) The Second.
(c) The Eleventh.
(d) The Thirteenth.
5. What is Winston's phobia?
(a) English people.
(d) Open spaces.
6. Who is Julia?
(a) A storeowner who Winston knows.
(b) A person who Winston invents for his job.
(c) The dark-haired girl.
(d) A member of the Thought Police.
7. What is written on the flag that keeps flapping?
(d) BIG BROTHER.
8. How many kilometers can someone travel in Oceania before their passport is checked?
(b) Two hundred.
(d) One hundred.
9. What is the ideal way for children to be conceived in Oceania?
10. What does the note left by the individual whom Winston sees in the hall say?
(a) Milk, eggs, bread, cheese.
(b) They are watching you.
(c) I hate Big Brother.
(d) I love you.
11. What happened to the Inner Party member with whom Julia had her first affair?
(a) His helicopter crashed.
(b) He vanished mysteriously.
(c) He was caught and vaporized.
(d) He killed himself.
12. What important thing does Winston do when he comes home in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) He starts a diary.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He attempts suicide.
(d) He makes a plan to assassinate Big Brother.
13. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) A picture.
(b) A hanging.
(c) A movie.
(d) A play.
14. How does Winston recognize the junk shop?
(a) Three metal balls.
(b) Four smiling fairies.
(c) Two ivory birds.
(d) Seven wooden books.
15. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
(a) Thought Police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the resistance to the Party called?
2. What is the official language of Oceania?
3. "The Revolution will be complete when the ______ is perfect."
4. What is the last thing the dark-haired girl does before departing from Winston in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. Who/what is Tillotson?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)