|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Thought Police secretly arrest and execute someone, most people would say that person has been _______.
2. Why does Winston have to falsify production reports?
(a) To discredit a Party member.
(b) To give Big Brother credit for someone else's work.
(c) To revitalize the war effort.
(d) To make Oceania seem more prosperous.
3. What is Winston's phobia?
(a) Open spaces.
(b) English people.
4. What does Julia think is behind the picture in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(b) A microphone.
(c) A safe.
5. How much does it cost for a nip of gin at the canteen?
(a) One dollar.
(b) Ten cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Twenty-five cents.
6. What is Winston doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6?
(b) Writing in his diary.
(c) Going for a walk.
7. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) So she can undress.
(b) So she can put on makeup.
(c) So she can dress.
(d) So she an get a gift out of her bag.
8. What does one of the Parsons children use to hit Winston in the neck?
(a) A slingshot.
(b) A rock.
(c) A catapult.
(d) A pellet gun.
9. What do the bells of St. Clement's say?
(a) Pay me three farthings.
(b) Bluebirds in fountains.
(c) Oranges and lemons.
10. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
11. Who does Winston see in the hallway in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(c) The dark-haired girl.
12. What does Ingsoc mean?
(a) English Soccer.
(b) English Society.
(c) English Socialism.
(d) English Socrates.
13. What does Ampleforth have a talent for juggling?
(a) Print and punctuation.
(b) Rhymes and meters.
(c) Brightly colored balls.
(d) Poetry and prose.
14. Who were three of the original survivors of the revolution of whom Winston saw a picture?
(a) McDonald, Martin, and King.
(b) Smith, Appleby, and Douglas.
(c) Ford, Dent, and McMillan.
(d) Jones, Aaronson, and Rutherford.
15. What is the name of the mandatory morning exercise program?
(a) The Mandatory Morning Exercise Program.
(b) The Morning Stretches.
(c) Aerobics with Goldstein.
(d) The Physical Jerks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winston recognize the junk shop?
2. What does the Junior Anti-Sex League do?
3. What is the ideal way for children to be conceived in Oceania?
4. In Newspeak, what word will eventually replace "bad"?
5. What is the name of the song on the telescreen?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)