|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What newspaper does Winston re-write?
(a) The Post.
(b) The Sun.
(c) The Journal.
(d) The Times.
2. What device is used to write songs?
3. What does the Junior Anti-Sex League do?
(a) Perform arbitrary castrations.
(b) Advocate complete celibacy.
(c) Hunt down adulterers and prostitutes.
(d) Write pamplets on sex education.
4. Who is Julia?
(a) The dark-haired girl.
(b) A person who Winston invents for his job.
(c) A member of the Thought Police.
(d) A storeowner who Winston knows.
5. What is written on the flag that keeps flapping?
(c) BIG BROTHER.
6. What is the Newspeak name for people who have been vaporized?
7. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
(a) Swollen lymph nodes.
(b) A varicose ulcer.
(d) Varicose veins.
8. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
(a) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
(b) He was wearing strange shoes.
(c) They heard him swearing at Big Brother.
(d) He was from Eurasia.
9. What does Julia call the only safe way to talk in public?
(a) Talking by installments.
(b) Broken telephone.
(d) Sign language.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
(a) Pay her off.
(b) Love her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Divorce her.
11. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
(a) The OCCB.
(b) The INGSOC.
(c) The FDA.
(d) The FFCC.
12. What does Winston write repeatedly in his diary after thinking about the Two Minutes Hate?
(a) DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER.
(b) DOWN WITH THE PARTY.
(c) DOWN WITH RACISM.
(d) DOWN WITH THOUGHTCRIME.
13. What is the most frightening ministry of Oceania's government?
(a) The Ministry of Peace.
(b) The Ministry of Plenty.
(c) The Ministry of Love.
(d) The Ministry of Fear.
14. What doesn't Winston give Ogilvy?
(a) The Order of Oceania.
(b) The Silver Cross.
(c) The Order of Conspicuous Merit.
(d) The Keys to the City.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what is one of the latest, favorite phrases of the Ministry of Plenty?
(a) Our new, happy life.
(b) Our modern world in all its glory.
(c) Our only way forward.
(d) What's ours is yours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Parsons collecting money for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
3. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
5. When the Thought Police secretly arrest and execute someone, most people would say that person has been _______.
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)