|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
2. Who/what is Tillotson?
(a) A small, precise-looking, dark-chinned man.
(b) A large, feeble-minded, automoton.
(c) A fat, sweaty, mess of a man.
(d) A skinny, pale-faced, ghost.
3. What is Parsons collecting money for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Hate Week.
(b) Apathy Month.
(c) Love Hour.
(d) Atrocity Day.
4. When the Thought Police secretly arrest and execute someone, most people would say that person has been _______.
5. What did Airstrip One used to be called?
(a) England or Britain.
(b) East or West Germany.
(c) France or Canada.
(d) The USA or America.
6. What is written on the flag that keeps flapping?
(a) BIG BROTHER.
7. What does Winston think will happen to Syme?
(a) He will flee Oceania.
(b) He will become Big Brother.
(c) He will be vaporized.
(d) He will die from drinking too much gin.
8. Who does Winston see in the hallway in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(c) The dark-haired girl.
9. What newspaper does Winston re-write?
(a) The Journal.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Post.
(d) The Sun.
10. The telescreen announces a reduction in what type of rations?
11. How many clothing coupons does Winston get annually?
(a) Four thousand.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Five thousand.
(d) Three thousand.
12. What keeps falling on London?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(d) Acid rain.
13. How does Victory Gin smell?
(a) Sickly and oily.
(b) Harsh, like nitric acid.
(c) Warm and inviting.
(d) Gross and disgusting.
14. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He does yoga.
(b) He touches his toes.
(c) He clean his ears.
(d) Thirty-seven jumping jacks.
15. What edition of the Newspeak dictionary is currently being written?
(a) The Eleventh.
(b) The Second.
(c) The Thirteenth.
(d) The Tenth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman in the telescreen call Winston?
2. What is the official language of Oceania?
3. Who is Julia?
4. How does Winston recognize the junk shop?
5. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)