|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Love her.
(d) Pay her off.
2. What is Winston doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6?
(a) Writing in his diary.
(b) Going for a walk.
3. In Newspeak, what word will eventually replace "bad"?
4. What is the name of the mandatory morning exercise program?
(a) Aerobics with Goldstein.
(b) The Physical Jerks.
(c) The Morning Stretches.
(d) The Mandatory Morning Exercise Program.
5. What device is used to write songs?
6. Who is the vaporized man Winston must delete from The Times?
7. Consorting with prostitutes was "dangerous, ___________________." (Part 1, Chapter 6)
(a) And would always be that way.
(b) But necessary to keep one's sanity.
(c) But it was not a life-and-death matter.
(d) And should never be attempted.
8. What does the Junior Anti-Sex League do?
(a) Perform arbitrary castrations.
(b) Advocate complete celibacy.
(c) Write pamplets on sex education.
(d) Hunt down adulterers and prostitutes.
9. What does Julia think is behind the picture in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(c) A microphone.
(d) A safe.
10. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
(b) Swollen lymph nodes.
(c) A varicose ulcer.
(d) Varicose veins.
11. Of what do Winston and Julia not discuss the possibility?
(b) Living together.
12. What does one of the Parsons children use to hit Winston in the neck?
(a) A catapult.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A pellet gun.
(d) A rock.
13. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
(c) Big Brother.
14. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
(a) Thoughtcrime IS death.
(b) Thoughtcrime prevents death.
(c) Thoughtcrime keeps one sane.
(d) Thoughtcrime is illegal.
15. Where does Winston miss a meeting in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) With his accountant.
(b) The Community Center.
(c) The Hate Week planning committee.
(d) The Ministry of Truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winston buy in the junk shop?
2. What newspaper does Winston re-write?
3. What is there a shortage of in Oceania?
4. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. How does Julia describe herself?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)