|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 1, where do Winston and the dark-haired girl agree to meet?
(a) In Airstrip One, in a house.
(b) Victory square, near the monument.
(c) In the train station, during rush hour.
(d) At the community center, after dark.
3. What do Parsons' children to do the old market-woman?
(a) Shoot her cat with a catapult.
(b) Kick her in the shins.
(c) Steal her money.
(d) Set her skirt on fire.
4. How does Julia describe herself?
(a) As very attractive.
(b) As not clever.
(c) As much too young for Winston.
(d) As a thought criminal.
5. What is Parsons collecting money for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Love Hour.
(b) Atrocity Day.
(c) Apathy Month.
(d) Hate Week.
6. What smell is common to Winston's apartment building?
(b) Stewed beef.
7. Having an improper expression is called a ________.
8. What is Winston's phobia?
(a) English people.
(d) Open spaces.
9. During the Two Minutes Hate, what does everyone in the room do?
(a) Scream, yell, and throw objects at the telescreen.
(b) Sit in quiet hatred.
(c) Sing the national anthem.
(d) Fight with each other.
10. How much does it cost for a nip of gin at the canteen?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Twenty-five cents.
(d) Ten cents.
11. The Enemy of the People is...
(a) Emmanuel Golden.
(b) Emmanuel Goldstein.
(c) Emmanuel Silverstein.
(d) Emmanuel Goldfinch.
12. How does Victory Gin smell?
(a) Warm and inviting.
(b) Sickly and oily.
(c) Gross and disgusting.
(d) Harsh, like nitric acid.
13. How many kilometers can someone travel in Oceania before their passport is checked?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
14. What fell on Colchester?
(a) A UFO.
(b) A meteorite.
(c) An atomic bomb.
(d) A rocketbomb.
15. "Thoughtcrime does not entail death: ___________________"
(a) Thoughtcrime prevents death.
(b) Thoughtcrime keeps one sane.
(c) Thoughtcrime is illegal.
(d) Thoughtcrime IS death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. Where does Winston miss a meeting in Part 1, Chapter 8?
3. Who is the vaporized man Winston must delete from The Times?
4. What do Mrs. Parsons' children want to see in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of Winston's wife?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)