|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winston decide to do with the prostitute?
(a) Pay her to not tell anyone he was there.
(c) Have sex with her.
(d) Kill her.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what is one of the latest, favorite phrases of the Ministry of Plenty?
(a) Our new, happy life.
(b) Our modern world in all its glory.
(c) Our only way forward.
(d) What's ours is yours.
3. What does Julia call the only safe way to talk in public?
(a) Sign language.
(c) Broken telephone.
(d) Talking by installments.
4. What does Mrs. Parsons want Winston to do in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Give a message to her husband.
(b) Look after her children.
(c) Take her children to town.
(d) Fix her sink.
5. What important thing does Winston do when he comes home in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) He starts a diary.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He attempts suicide.
(d) He makes a plan to assassinate Big Brother.
6. What organization supplied comforts to the sailors on the Floating Fortress?
(a) The FDA.
(b) The INGSOC.
(c) The FFCC.
(d) The OCCB.
7. What smell is common to Winston's apartment building?
(b) Stewed beef.
8. What is the Newspeak word for individualism?
9. What did Airstrip One used to be called?
(a) East or West Germany.
(b) The USA or America.
(c) France or Canada.
(d) England or Britain.
10. What does Julia say is "the only way to stay safe"?
(a) Do as the Oceanians do.
(b) Listen to Big Brother.
(c) Always yell with the crowd.
(d) Be an informant.
11. What ailment does Winston suffer from?
(b) A varicose ulcer.
(c) Swollen lymph nodes.
(d) Varicose veins.
12. How does Winston recognize the junk shop?
(a) Four smiling fairies.
(b) Three metal balls.
(c) Two ivory birds.
(d) Seven wooden books.
13. What does the prostitute not have?
(c) Change for a ten.
(d) Proper ID.
14. What concealed danger does Winston have to be careful of in the countryside?
(d) Thought Police.
15. Why does Winston have to falsify production reports?
(a) To revitalize the war effort.
(b) To give Big Brother credit for someone else's work.
(c) To discredit a Party member.
(d) To make Oceania seem more prosperous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Winston's "friend" who works at the Research Department?
2. What was Rutherford's previous job?
3. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Who does Winston see in the hallway in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. What is the most frightening ministry of Oceania's government?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)