|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Winston sorry he didn't do to his wife?
(a) Divorce her.
(b) Love her.
(c) Pay her off.
(d) Kill her.
2. What is Winston's apartment called?
(a) Oceania View.
(b) London House.
(c) Victory Mansions.
(d) Grenadier Apartments.
3. What edition of the Newspeak dictionary is currently being written?
(a) The Thirteenth.
(b) The Eleventh.
(c) The Second.
(d) The Tenth.
4. Who/what is Tillotson?
(a) A skinny, pale-faced, ghost.
(b) A small, precise-looking, dark-chinned man.
(c) A large, feeble-minded, automoton.
(d) A fat, sweaty, mess of a man.
5. Where did Oceania recently have a military victory?
(a) North America.
(b) East Asia.
(c) South India.
(d) North Africa.
6. What does Ingsoc mean?
(a) English Socialism.
(b) English Society.
(c) English Socrates.
(d) English Soccer.
7. During the Two Minutes Hate, what does everyone in the room do?
(a) Sit in quiet hatred.
(b) Scream, yell, and throw objects at the telescreen.
(c) Sing the national anthem.
(d) Fight with each other.
8. What is the name of the television-like appliance constantly watching Oceania's citizens?
(a) The viewscreen.
(b) The eye of Big Brother.
(c) The telescreen.
(d) The televisionary.
9. According to Part 1, Chapter 7, where does hope lie?
(a) With the Brotherhood.
(b) Nowhere to be found.
(c) In the proles.
(d) In Winston alone.
10. Who spoils Winston's plans to sit with the dark-haired girl in Part 2, Chapter 1?
11. What is used only by the proles?
(c) Hand tools.
12. Who are the first two people Winston dreams about in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His mother and father.
(b) His wife and son.
(c) His mother and sister.
(d) His brother and sister.
13. Where does Winston miss a meeting in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) The Ministry of Truth.
(b) The Hate Week planning committee.
(c) The Community Center.
(d) With his accountant.
14. How does Winston recognize the junk shop?
(a) Two ivory birds.
(b) Three metal balls.
(c) Seven wooden books.
(d) Four smiling fairies.
15. The telescreen announces a reduction in what type of rations?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winston work?
2. The Enemy of the People is...
3. Consorting with prostitutes was "dangerous, ___________________." (Part 1, Chapter 6)
4. When the Thought Police secretly arrest and execute someone, most people would say that person has been _______.
5. What type of flower does Winston collect before meeting the dark-haired girl?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)