|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the vaporized man Winston must delete from The Times?
2. Which event's preparations causes an increase in working hours in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) War Week.
(b) Duty Week.
(c) Hate Week.
(d) Thoughtcrime Week.
3. What does Mrs. Parsons want Winston to do in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Give a message to her husband.
(b) Fix her sink.
(c) Take her children to town.
(d) Look after her children.
4. Who/what is Tillotson?
(a) A small, precise-looking, dark-chinned man.
(b) A large, feeble-minded, automoton.
(c) A fat, sweaty, mess of a man.
(d) A skinny, pale-faced, ghost.
5. What is Winston's phobia?
(a) English people.
(d) Open spaces.
6. What is the resistance to the Party called?
(a) The Partisans.
(b) The Resistance.
(c) The Brotherhood.
(d) The Clash.
7. What type of hats do capitalists supposedly wear?
(c) Top hats.
(d) Baseball caps.
8. What is the most frightening ministry of Oceania's government?
(a) The Ministry of Peace.
(b) The Ministry of Fear.
(c) The Ministry of Love.
(d) The Ministry of Plenty.
9. What does the girl with the dark hair do in Winston's dream?
(a) Sing a song.
(b) Kill Big Brother.
(c) Bring Winston some flowers.
(d) Tear off her clothes.
10. What is the last thing Winston does in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He clean his ears.
(b) He touches his toes.
(c) He does yoga.
(d) Thirty-seven jumping jacks.
11. By writing in his diary, Winston has committed a crime. What is the name of this crime?
12. Who spoils Winston's plans to sit with the dark-haired girl in Part 2, Chapter 1?
13. Why does Winston have to falsify production reports?
(a) To discredit a Party member.
(b) To make Oceania seem more prosperous.
(c) To give Big Brother credit for someone else's work.
(d) To revitalize the war effort.
14. What does Ingsoc mean?
(a) English Soccer.
(b) English Socialism.
(c) English Socrates.
(d) English Society.
15. What is Parsons collecting money for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Atrocity Day.
(b) Love Hour.
(c) Apathy Month.
(d) Hate Week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julia call the only safe way to talk in public?
2. Where does Winston work?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what will be Julia and Winston's next meeting place?
4. How much does it cost for a nip of gin at the canteen?
5. What is Winston's nickname for his wife?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)