|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does it cost for a nip of gin at the canteen?
(a) Ten cents.
(b) Twenty-five cents.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Five dollars.
2. What is the prole woman doing outside the window in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Chanting and walking by.
(b) Singing and hanging laundry.
(c) Whistling and gardening.
(d) Humming and painting.
3. The telescreen announces a reduction in what type of rations?
4. Of what do Winston and Julia not discuss the possibility?
(a) Living together.
5. What urge is stronger than ever when Winston was finished writing about the prostitute?
(a) To turn back time.
(b) To choke down some food.
(c) To shout filthy words.
(d) To vomit profusely.
6. What is Winston doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6?
(a) Going for a walk.
(b) Writing in his diary.
7. What does the Junior Anti-Sex League do?
(a) Advocate complete celibacy.
(b) Perform arbitrary castrations.
(c) Hunt down adulterers and prostitutes.
(d) Write pamplets on sex education.
8. Why did Parsons' daughter report a man to the police?
(a) He was from Eurasia.
(b) They heard him swearing at Big Brother.
(c) He was a member of the Brotherhood.
(d) He was wearing strange shoes.
9. What type of flower does Winston collect before meeting the dark-haired girl?
10. What is the name of the device Winston uses to write?
11. What was Rutherford's previous job?
12. Which event's preparations causes an increase in working hours in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) War Week.
(b) Duty Week.
(c) Thoughtcrime Week.
(d) Hate Week.
13. For whom is Winston writing his diary?
(a) Big Brother.
14. In Newspeak, what word will eventually replace "bad"?
15. What newspaper does Winston re-write?
(a) The Journal.
(b) The Post.
(c) The Sun.
(d) The Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were three of the original survivors of the revolution of whom Winston saw a picture?
2. What is the ideal way for children to be conceived in Oceania?
3. What is Winston's apartment called?
4. What is the name of Winston's "friend" who works at the Research Department?
5. Why does Julia ask Winston to turn around in Part 2, Chapter 4?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)