Short Essay Questions
1. Try to imagine what it would be like to live in a country like Oceania where you are constantly watched by government agents. How would you feel?
2. What is unusual about Winston's telescreen, and why is it important?
3. What does Part 1, Chapter 1 show the reader about the quality of Oceania's services and products?
4. How does Winston really feel about Big Brother and the Party?
5. Look up the word "comrade" up in a dictionary. Why do you think everyone in Oceania is supposed to call each other comrade?
6. What do the Parsons children want to go see in Part 1, Chapter 2? What do you think of them?
7. In your own words, how does Winston describe Mr. Parsons?
8. In Winston's dream, the man O'Brien says "We will meet in the place where there is no darkness." What do you think he meant by this?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)