* The main character, Winston Smith, is introduced in his apartment in what is now called Oceania, under the totalitarian rule of Big Brother and The Party.
* Winston begins a diary, an illegal act called a Thoughtcrime.
* Through Winston's memory and diary entry, a mysterious character known only as the dark-haired woman is introduced, as well as a man named O'Brien.
* Winston thinks about a man named Goldstein, and how Winston respects him, even though The Party demands all in Oceania hate him.
* There is a knock at the door.
* The person at the door is Mrs. Parsons; Winston fixes her sink and is bothered by her sons.
* Winston recalls a dream and realizes that the person in it is O'Brien.
* Winston is overwhelmed by the total lack of power he has under the rule of Big Brother, and that even his mind is not free.
This section contains 1,790 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)