|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws the key chain into the lake?
2. Who is Lissberg?
3. What food item do they want to lure Lionel out of the boat with?
4. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
5. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
2. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
3. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
4. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
5. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
6. How does the story, Down at the Dinghy, end?
7. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
8. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
9. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
10. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite characters in the book. Use specific examples from the book to explain what you do and do not like about each character.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nine Stories an important collection of short stories? What does it contribute to American literary history?
Essay Topic 3
What do we learn about World War II throughout Nine Stories? Why is it such a prevalent theme throughout this collection of short stories?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)