|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
2. What job does the narrator accept under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith?
3. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
4. Who is Sandra?
5. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
2. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
3. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
4. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
5. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
6. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
7. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
8. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
9. How does Boo Boo handle Lionel's habit of running away?
10. What happens to the narrator after he leaves the training course?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness because of WWII trauma is an issue brought up in more than one story in the Nine Stories collection. Why do you think this is such a prevalent topic Salinger uses? Talk about the importance of this topic in the collection. Pay special attention to the time in which the book is released. Why does this have been a controversial collection of stories because of the mental illness component?
Essay Topic 2
What do we learn about World War II throughout Nine Stories? Why is it such a prevalent theme throughout this collection of short stories?
Essay Topic 3
How is dark comedy used in this collection? What does it add to the collection? How does it affect the reader? Why is dark humor used to discuss topics that are normally taboo? Why is dark humor needed to talk about topics that are normally taboo?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)