|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
2. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
3. When does Arthur start thinking about leaving his wife?
4. Where is Joanie throughout the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
5. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
2. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
3. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
4. Why is the narrator so taken by Esme?
5. Describe the narrator in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor.
6. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
7. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
8. How does Boo Boo handle Lionel's habit of running away?
9. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
10. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In For Esme - With Love and Squalor, a young girl becomes a powerful leader in recovery for the narrator. Why is Esme able to be so helpful to a solider that is so adversely affected by the war? What simple acts help him most? Why isn't his family able to help as much as Esme? How does a 13-year-old that he meets one time leave such a lasting impression?
Essay Topic 2
What do we learn about World War II throughout Nine Stories? Why is it such a prevalent theme throughout this collection of short stories?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Eloise so consumed by her daughter's imaginary friends in the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut? Why is she so eager for the imaginary friends to go away? Why are both imaginary friends male? Does that affect Eloise's hatred of them? Use examples from the story to explain your answers.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)