|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
2. What does Lionel promise his mother recently?
3. In De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, what is the narrator's most unrealistic wish for New York?
4. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
5. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being a meditating child genius that is unaffected by emotion, Teddy is one of the more unique characters in the collection. Explore and analyze Teddy as a character. How does his age affect the story? How do you feel about his lack of emotion on any topic? What makes Teddy so different from the other characters Salinger creates in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
New York and Connecticut are widely used throughout the book. What generalizations can be made about each city after having read Nine Stories? Do you want to go to either place? Do you live in either place? Does the story collection make you want to visit either place? Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the strongest theme in Nine Stories? Why does it leave such a lasting impression? Use specific examples from the book to explain your opinion.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)