|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artist does the narrator most resemble?
2. Who is Boo Boo Tannenbaum?
3. Where does the narrator accept a job in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
4. What does Arthur think Joanie enjoys most about a new house?
5. Who throws the key chain into the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
2. Why does Arthur think his marriage isn't working?
3. Why is the narrator so taken by Esme?
4. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
5. How does the story, Down at the Dinghy, end?
6. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
7. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
8. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
9. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
10. What does Arthur do for a living? How does the reader know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of Age is a theme seen in a few of the stories, including The Laughing Man. Explore and discuss the theme and why it is used is more than one story. How is it used? Why does Salinger use a Coming of Age theme in several stories? How can any reader relate to this theme, especially your age group?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nine Stories an important collection of short stories? What does it contribute to American literary history?
Essay Topic 3
Mental illness because of WWII trauma is an issue brought up in more than one story in the Nine Stories collection. Why do you think this is such a prevalent topic Salinger uses? Talk about the importance of this topic in the collection. Pay special attention to the time in which the book is released. Why does this have been a controversial collection of stories because of the mental illness component?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)