|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is claiming to be an admiral?
2. What catches the narrator's attention, urging him to go inside the church?
3. What month is it when Lionel disappears in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
4. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
5. Who does Lee say is Arthur's worst enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story, Down at the Dinghy, end?
2. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
3. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
4. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
5. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
6. What happens to the narrator after he leaves the training course?
7. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
8. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
9. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
10. Why does Lionel run away so often?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite characters in the book. Use specific examples from the book to explain what you do and do not like about each character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
Essay Topic 3
What is the strongest theme in Nine Stories? Why does it leave such a lasting impression? Use specific examples from the book to explain your opinion.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)