|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lionel when he first disappears?
2. Who does Lee say is Arthur's worst enemy?
3. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
4. What interesting item does Mrs. Snell always wear, even in summer?
5. Why does the narrator say he hates chairs?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Salinger's use of sudden and tragic endings to some of his short stories. What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them? How do they contribute or take away from the collection as a whole and each story specifically? Do you think it is a powerful way to end the stories? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In For Esme - With Love and Squalor, a young girl becomes a powerful leader in recovery for the narrator. Why is Esme able to be so helpful to a solider that is so adversely affected by the war? What simple acts help him most? Why isn't his family able to help as much as Esme? How does a 13-year-old that he meets one time leave such a lasting impression?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)