|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
2. What does Arthur think Joanie enjoys most about a new house?
3. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
4. How much does the job the narrator applied for under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith, pay?
5. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
2. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
3. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
4. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
5. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
6. What does Arthur do for a living? How does the reader know?
7. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
8. How does Boo Boo handle Lionel's habit of running away?
9. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
10. Why is the narrator so taken by Esme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Salinger says he writes about young people so much because he wants to not only speak to them, but for them. Do you think he accomplishes that goal throughout Nine Stories? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Salinger's use of sudden and tragic endings to some of his short stories. What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them? How do they contribute or take away from the collection as a whole and each story specifically? Do you think it is a powerful way to end the stories? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)