Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Lionel disappears in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
2. What is the farthest distance Lionel ever runs away to?
3. Where does the narrator accept a job in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
4. Where do the Ellenborgens live?
5. What does Lionel promise his mother recently?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue is used heavily throughout the book. Cite examples of the use of dialogue that are especially memorable. Why is dialogue so important to this short story collection? How does it help the reader? What does dialogue keep from the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Salinger says he writes about young people so much because he wants to not only speak to them, but for them. Do you think he accomplishes that goal throughout Nine Stories? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)