|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does it take Esme so long to write her first letter to the narrator?
2. What job does the narrator accept under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith?
3. Where does Lee think the Ellenbogens go after the party?
4. Who directs the training course taken by the narrator and the 60 Americans?
5. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
2. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
3. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
4. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
5. Why does Arthur think his marriage isn't working?
6. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
7. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
8. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
9. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
10. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The wealthy and bored housewife character is written about in a couple of the short stories in Salinger's collection. Explore this character by comparing and contrasting the women. What do they have in common? Why is this a returning type of character in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
How is dark comedy used in this collection? What does it add to the collection? How does it affect the reader? Why is dark humor used to discuss topics that are normally taboo? Why is dark humor needed to talk about topics that are normally taboo?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)