|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Mrs. Snell's matches from?
2. When does Arthur start thinking about leaving his wife?
3. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
4. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
5. Why does Arthur say his marriage isn't working?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
2. How does the story, Down at the Dinghy, end?
3. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
4. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
5. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
6. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
7. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
8. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
9. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
10. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Nine Stories an important collection of short stories? What does it contribute to American literary history?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)