|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song is Boo Boo singing on the way to the Dinghy?
2. In De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, what is the narrator's most unrealistic wish for New York?
3. Where does Arthur want to move?
4. How many keys are on the key chain that Boo Boo gives to Lionel?
5. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
2. Describe the narrator in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor.
3. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
4. How does Boo Boo handle Lionel's habit of running away?
5. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
6. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
7. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
8. How does the story, Down at the Dinghy, end?
9. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
10. Why does Arthur think his marriage isn't working?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite characters in the book. Use specific examples from the book to explain what you do and do not like about each character.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nine Stories an important collection of short stories? What does it contribute to American literary history?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the narrator in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period feel the need to lie about so many details in the letter of application for the art teaching position? Explore the reasons why he continues the lies upon arrival as well.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)