|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Joanie's best traits?
2. Why does the narrator say he hates chairs?
3. Why is the narrator of De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period going to art school?
4. In De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, what is the narrator's most unrealistic wish for New York?
5. What are the flashes of light the narrator ignores on his walk on the last day of training?
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness because of WWII trauma is an issue brought up in more than one story in the Nine Stories collection. Why do you think this is such a prevalent topic Salinger uses? Talk about the importance of this topic in the collection. Pay special attention to the time in which the book is released. Why does this have been a controversial collection of stories because of the mental illness component?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Nine Stories an important collection of short stories? What does it contribute to American literary history?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the narrator in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period feel the need to lie about so many details in the letter of application for the art teaching position? Explore the reasons why he continues the lies upon arrival as well.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)