|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many keys are on the key chain that Boo Boo gives to Lionel?
2. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
3. Who does Lee say is Arthur's worst enemy?
4. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
5. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lionel and Teddy. What does each character have in common? What makes them different? Analyze their challenges with family, beliefs and events.
Essay Topic 3
Coming of Age is a theme seen in a few of the stories, including The Laughing Man. Explore and discuss the theme and why it is used is more than one story. How is it used? Why does Salinger use a Coming of Age theme in several stories? How can any reader relate to this theme, especially your age group?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)