|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seymour want to hunt for in the water with Sybil?
2. Why isn't Selena's brother in the Army?
3. What does Seymour wear to the beach?
4. Why is Mr. Weyinburg at home from work?
5. What does Selena's brother offer for Ginnie to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
2. How does the reader know the setting takes place shortly after the end of World War II?
3. What indications does the reader have in the beginning of the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, that it is about a wealthy group of people?
4. What is wrong physically with Ramona?
5. Why does Lionel run away so often?
6. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
7. Why is Mary Jane part of the story, Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
8. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
9. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
10. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Nine Stories an important collection of short stories? What does it contribute to American literary history?
Essay Topic 2
Salinger says he writes about young people so much because he wants to not only speak to them, but for them. Do you think he accomplishes that goal throughout Nine Stories? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite characters in the book. Use specific examples from the book to explain what you do and do not like about each character.
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)