|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the Chief's most coveted skills?
2. Why does Ramona sleep on the edge of the bed?
3. What does Sybil complain to Seymour about when meeting him on the beach?
4. Who does Eloise call an "unattractive Bela Lugosi"?
5. What is Ginnie's full name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who speaks the most during the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, and from who's point of view is the story told?
2. Why does Eloise so fondly remember Walt?
3. Who is the Chief?
4. What does Franklin do to make Ginnie look at him in a positive light?
5. What makes the reader think that perhaps Eric is not allowed into the military because he is homosexual?
6. What can the reader like about a character like Muriel?
7. Why is the setting appropriate for the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut?
8. Why does Muriel insist that Seymour isn't capable of harmful actions?
9. Why can the reader sympathize with Eloise more than envy her?
10. Why is the reader uncertain whether Seymour is going to shoot himself, Muriel or both when he grabs the pistol out of the suitcase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite characters in the book. Use specific examples from the book to explain what you do and do not like about each character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lionel and Teddy. What does each character have in common? What makes them different? Analyze their challenges with family, beliefs and events.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the narrator in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period feel the need to lie about so many details in the letter of application for the art teaching position? Explore the reasons why he continues the lies upon arrival as well.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)