|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Muriel Glass doing when the call comes through from the hotel operator?
2. Who is Franklin?
3. What is Ginnie's full name?
4. What do the boys do on rainy days?
5. Who is very ill in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eloise so fondly remember Walt?
2. How does the reader know the setting takes place shortly after the end of World War II?
3. What does the floating red tissue represent in The Laughing Man?
4. Why is Mary Jane part of the story, Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
5. What do Walt and Jimmy Jimmereeno have in common in the story Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
6. Who is the Laughing Man?
7. Why is the setting appropriate for the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut?
8. Why does Ginnie suddenly forgive Selena's debt?
9. Who speaks the most during the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, and from who's point of view is the story told?
10. What happens with Seymour and the trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eloise so consumed by her daughter's imaginary friends in the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut? Why is she so eager for the imaginary friends to go away? Why are both imaginary friends male? Does that affect Eloise's hatred of them? Use examples from the story to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
Essay Topic 3
What do we learn about World War II throughout Nine Stories? Why is it such a prevalent theme throughout this collection of short stories?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)