|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Weyinburg?
2. The poetry book that Seymour gives as a gift is written in what language?
3. How long is Mary Jane married?
4. Who is Jimmy Jimmereano?
5. Who is Muriel Glass speaking with on the telephone at the beginning of the story, A Perfect Day for Bananafish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ginnie suddenly forgive Selena's debt?
2. What indications does the reader have in the beginning of the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, that it is about a wealthy group of people?
3. Why is the Chief so important to the boys?
4. What happens with Seymour and the trees?
5. Why does Eloise so fondly remember Walt?
6. What does the floating red tissue represent in The Laughing Man?
7. Why are Mary Jane and Eloise good friends for each other?
8. What happens to the Laughing Man?
9. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
10. Why can the reader sympathize with Eloise more than envy her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lionel and Teddy. What does each character have in common? What makes them different? Analyze their challenges with family, beliefs and events.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the narrator in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period feel the need to lie about so many details in the letter of application for the art teaching position? Explore the reasons why he continues the lies upon arrival as well.
Essay Topic 3
New York and Connecticut are widely used throughout the book. What generalizations can be made about each city after having read Nine Stories? Do you want to go to either place? Do you live in either place? Does the story collection make you want to visit either place? Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)