|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Ginnie say Selena owes her?
2. How old is Ginnie?
3. What does Seymour want to hunt for in the water with Sybil?
4. Who cuts their finger in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
5. How many male characters appear on the scene in the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary Jane part of the story, Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
2. What is wrong physically with Ramona?
3. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
4. Who is the Laughing Man?
5. What happens with Seymour and the trees?
6. Why doesn't the narrator list all of the Chief's attributes?
7. What can the reader like about a character like Muriel?
8. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
9. Why aren't there any men 'seen' in the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut?
10. What do Walt and Jimmy Jimmereeno have in common in the story Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What do we learn about World War II throughout Nine Stories? Why is it such a prevalent theme throughout this collection of short stories?
Essay Topic 3
Coming of Age is a theme seen in a few of the stories, including The Laughing Man. Explore and discuss the theme and why it is used is more than one story. How is it used? Why does Salinger use a Coming of Age theme in several stories? How can any reader relate to this theme, especially your age group?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)