|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Mary Jane married?
2. Why does Ramona sleep on the edge of the bed?
3. Who does Seymour call 'Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948'?
4. How does Jimmy Jimmereeno die?
5. Who is accused of being the Queen of the Snobs in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Muriel's mother during the "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" story?
2. Why is the reader uncertain whether Seymour is going to shoot himself, Muriel or both when he grabs the pistol out of the suitcase?
3. Why does Eloise so fondly remember Walt?
4. Why are Mary Jane and Eloise good friends for each other?
5. Why is Mary Jane part of the story, Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
6. What happens with Seymour and the trees?
7. Who is the Laughing Man?
8. What is Seymour hospitalized for?
9. What do Walt and Jimmy Jimmereeno have in common in the story Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
10. What is wrong physically with Ramona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lies and deception are used by several characters, including Arthur in Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes and the narrator in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period. Why does each character rely on lies and deceit? What do they hope to gain? What do they hope to avoid? What does it tell us about each character? What does each character have in common? What makes them different?
Essay Topic 2
Coming of Age is a theme seen in a few of the stories, including The Laughing Man. Explore and discuss the theme and why it is used is more than one story. How is it used? Why does Salinger use a Coming of Age theme in several stories? How can any reader relate to this theme, especially your age group?
Essay Topic 3
What is the strongest theme in Nine Stories? Why does it leave such a lasting impression? Use specific examples from the book to explain your opinion.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)