Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Muriel's telephone caller ask so many questions about Seymour's behavior?
2. The poetry book that Seymour gives as a gift is written in what language?
3. Where is the Chief from?
4. Why does Ginnie like playing tennis with Selena?
5. Who thinks Seymour is "manic?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
2. How does the reader know Teddy is a child genius?
3. What happens to the Laughing Man?
4. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
5. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
6. What do Walt and Jimmy Jimmereeno have in common in the story Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
7. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
8. What makes the reader think that perhaps Eric is not allowed into the military because he is homosexual?
9. Who speaks the most during the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, and from who's point of view is the story told?
10. Why does Muriel insist that Seymour isn't capable of harmful actions?
Essay Topic 1
Salinger says he writes about young people so much because he wants to not only speak to them, but for them. Do you think he accomplishes that goal throughout Nine Stories? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the narrator in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period feel the need to lie about so many details in the letter of application for the art teaching position? Explore the reasons why he continues the lies upon arrival as well.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)