Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Muriel's telephone caller ask so many questions about Seymour's behavior?
2. The poetry book that Seymour gives as a gift is written in what language?
3. Where is the Chief from?
4. Why does Ginnie like playing tennis with Selena?
5. Who thinks Seymour is "manic?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
2. How does the reader know Teddy is a child genius?
3. What happens to the Laughing Man?
4. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
5. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
6. What do Walt and Jimmy Jimmereeno have in common in the story Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
7. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
8. What makes the reader think that perhaps Eric is not allowed into the military because he is homosexual?
9. Who speaks the most during the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, and from who's point of view is the story told?
10. Why does Muriel insist that Seymour isn't capable of harmful actions?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Salinger's use of sudden and tragic endings to some of his short stories. What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them? How do they contribute or take away from the collection as a whole and each story specifically? Do you think it is a powerful way to end the stories? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Mental illness because of WWII trauma is an issue brought up in more than one story in the Nine Stories collection. Why do you think this is such a prevalent topic Salinger uses? Talk about the importance of this topic in the collection. Pay special attention to the time in which the book is released. Why does this have been a controversial collection of stories because of the mental illness component?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)