|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the main character of the story, The Laughing Man, get lost?
2. Why does Muriel's telephone caller ask so many questions about Seymour's behavior?
3. What does Seymour want to hunt for in the water with Sybil?
4. Who is getting married soon in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
5. Who graduates from college first, Mary Jane or Eloise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ginnie suddenly forgive Selena's debt?
2. What happens to the Laughing Man?
3. What does Franklin do to make Ginnie look at him in a positive light?
4. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
5. What happens to the narrator after he leaves the training course?
6. What can the reader like about a character like Muriel?
7. Why does Muriel insist that Seymour isn't capable of harmful actions?
8. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
9. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
10. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The wealthy and bored housewife character is written about in a couple of the short stories in Salinger's collection. Explore this character by comparing and contrasting the women. What do they have in common? Why is this a returning type of character in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue is used heavily throughout the book. Cite examples of the use of dialogue that are especially memorable. Why is dialogue so important to this short story collection? How does it help the reader? What does dialogue keep from the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Eloise so consumed by her daughter's imaginary friends in the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut? Why is she so eager for the imaginary friends to go away? Why are both imaginary friends male? Does that affect Eloise's hatred of them? Use examples from the story to explain your answers.
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)