|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Seymour get angry with the woman in the elevator as he goes back to his room after the beach?
2. Why is Mary Jane's husband sent to jail?
3. What is Ginnie's full name?
4. Who is Franklin?
5. Where does the main character of the story, The Laughing Man, get lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Franklin do to make Ginnie look at him in a positive light?
2. How does the reader know the setting takes place shortly after the end of World War II?
3. Why does Eloise so fondly remember Walt?
4. Why is the Chief so important to the boys?
5. What makes the reader think that perhaps Eric is not allowed into the military because he is homosexual?
6. Who is the Laughing Man?
7. What leads the reader to believe that tension is building throughout the story?
8. What is wrong physically with Ramona?
9. What can the reader like about a character like Muriel?
10. Why are Mary Jane and Eloise good friends for each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do we learn about World War II throughout Nine Stories? Why is it such a prevalent theme throughout this collection of short stories?
Essay Topic 2
How is dark comedy used in this collection? What does it add to the collection? How does it affect the reader? Why is dark humor used to discuss topics that are normally taboo? Why is dark humor needed to talk about topics that are normally taboo?
Essay Topic 3
In For Esme - With Love and Squalor, a young girl becomes a powerful leader in recovery for the narrator. Why is Esme able to be so helpful to a solider that is so adversely affected by the war? What simple acts help him most? Why isn't his family able to help as much as Esme? How does a 13-year-old that he meets one time leave such a lasting impression?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)