|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Franklin?
2. How is Seymour pushing Sybil in the water?
3. What is Muriel Glass doing when the call comes through from the hotel operator?
4. Why does Muriel's telephone caller ask so many questions about Seymour's behavior?
5. Where is Muriel Glass' hotel located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator list all of the Chief's attributes?
2. Why is the setting appropriate for the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut?
3. Why is the Chief so important to the boys?
4. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
5. What is wrong physically with Ramona?
6. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
7. What is Seymour hospitalized for?
8. Who is the Laughing Man?
9. Why is Mary Jane part of the story, Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
10. How does the reader know the setting takes place shortly after the end of World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mental illness because of WWII trauma is an issue brought up in more than one story in the Nine Stories collection. Why do you think this is such a prevalent topic Salinger uses? Talk about the importance of this topic in the collection. Pay special attention to the time in which the book is released. Why does this have been a controversial collection of stories because of the mental illness component?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite characters in the book. Use specific examples from the book to explain what you do and do not like about each character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Salinger's use of sudden and tragic endings to some of his short stories. What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them? How do they contribute or take away from the collection as a whole and each story specifically? Do you think it is a powerful way to end the stories? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)