|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eloise think all women tell their husbands?
2. What room number is Muriel Glass staying in at the hotel?
3. Who pays the Chief?
4. Who does Muriel speak with at the hotel about Seymour?
5. Who does Seymour call 'Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know the setting takes place shortly after the end of World War II?
2. What leads the reader to believe that tension is building throughout the story?
3. Why is the Chief so important to the boys?
4. Why doesn't the narrator list all of the Chief's attributes?
5. What does the reader learn about Muriel's mother during the "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" story?
6. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
7. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
8. What happens to the Laughing Man?
9. What makes the reader think that perhaps Eric is not allowed into the military because he is homosexual?
10. Why is the reader uncertain whether Seymour is going to shoot himself, Muriel or both when he grabs the pistol out of the suitcase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dialogue is used heavily throughout the book. Cite examples of the use of dialogue that are especially memorable. Why is dialogue so important to this short story collection? How does it help the reader? What does dialogue keep from the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss irony as a theme throughout the Nine Stories collection. How is it used to create suspense, power and other emotions that are meant to draw the reader into the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast your favorite story from Nine Stories to your least favorite story. Explain what you like and dislike from each story. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)