|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
(a) A story.
(b) A map.
(c) A book of jokes from Charles.
(d) Her father's watch.
2. What catches the narrator's attention, urging him to go inside the church?
(a) A religious service.
(b) Children's choir practice.
(c) A bible reading.
(d) An organ concert.
3. Who does Lee say is Arthur's worst enemy?
4. What does Arthur think he finds in the closets when he gets home every night?
(a) Other men.
(b) A dog.
(c) The neighbors.
5. What happens to Charles' father?
(a) He is killed in a car accident.
(b) He dies of heart failure.
(c) He is killed on D-Day.
(d) He is killed in North Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
2. What does Lionel promise his mother recently?
3. What are the flashes of light the narrator ignores on his walk on the last day of training?
4. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris?
5. Where do the Ellenborgens live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
2. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
3. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
4. How does Boo Boo handle Lionel's habit of running away?
5. What does Arthur do for a living? How does the reader know?
6. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
7. Describe the narrator in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor.
8. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
9. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
10. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)