|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Joanie's best traits?
(d) Picking out suits.
2. What artist does the narrator most resemble?
(b) Da Vinci.
(d) El Grecco.
3. Where does Arthur want to move?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
4. What feature does the narrator first notice about Charles?
(a) His voice.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His hair.
5. Why is Le Amis Des Vieux Maitres closed down?
(a) It doesn't have any students.
(b) It is out of money.
(c) It doesn't have a license.
(d) It doesn't have any instructors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
2. Where does the narrator accept a job in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
3. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
4. What month is it when Lionel disappears in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
5. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
2. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
3. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
4. Why is the narrator so taken by Esme?
5. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
6. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
7. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
8. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
9. Why does Lionel run away so often?
10. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)