|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Boo Boo Tannenbaum?
(a) The son.
(b) The lady of the house.
(c) The shut-in living next door.
(d) The father.
2. What does Arthur think Joanie enjoys most about a new house?
(a) The quiet.
(b) Getting a dog.
(c) Decorating the new house.
(d) The garden.
3. How old is Lionel when he first disappears?
(a) One and a half.
(c) Two and a half.
(d) Three and a half.
4. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
(a) Weapons training.
(b) Pre-Invasion training.
(c) Post D-Day training.
(d) Parachute jumper training.
5. Who is Miss Megley?
(a) The waitress.
(b) The talented young singer.
(c) The governess.
(d) The narrator's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
2. Who directs the training course taken by the narrator and the 60 Americans?
3. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
4. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
5. Where is Joanie throughout the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
2. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
3. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
4. Why does Lionel run away so often?
5. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
6. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
7. How does Boo Boo handle Lionel's habit of running away?
8. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
9. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
10. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)