|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Arthur and Lee live?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
2. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
(a) From New York to Paris.
(b) Back to Paris from New Jersey.
(c) From New Jersey to Rome.
(d) Back to New York from Paris.
3. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
(a) The talented girl from choir practice.
(b) The tea room owner.
(c) The choir practice instructor.
(d) The waitress.
4. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
(b) The tea room.
(c) The training facility.
(d) The organ concert.
5. What happens to Charles' father?
(a) He dies of heart failure.
(b) He is killed in a car accident.
(c) He is killed in North Africa.
(d) He is killed on D-Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is claiming to be an admiral?
2. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
3. Who is Miss Megley?
4. How much does the job the narrator applied for under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith, pay?
5. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
2. Why does Arthur think his marriage isn't working?
3. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
4. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
5. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
6. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
7. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
8. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
9. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
10. What happens to the narrator after he leaves the training course?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)