|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
(a) Around her leg.
(b) Around her head.
(c) Around her waist.
(d) Around her neck.
2. Who is Lissberg?
(a) The attorney for the plantiff in Arthur's case.
(b) Arthur's client.
(c) Lee's boss.
(d) Joanie's lover.
3. What does Sandra worry about weighing around the boy?
(a) Her concern.
(b) Her words.
(c) The coffee.
(d) The beans.
4. What is Esme training herself to be?
(a) A better reader.
(b) A better singer.
(c) More compassionate.
(d) A better dancer.
5. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lionel promise his mother recently?
2. What artist does the narrator most resemble?
3. What does Esme want to read about most?
4. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
5. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the narrator after he leaves the training course?
2. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
3. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
4. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
5. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
6. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
7. Why does Arthur think his marriage isn't working?
8. How does the story, Down at the Dinghy, end?
9. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
10. Why does the narrator like the bulletin board outside the church so much in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)