|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Arthur and Lee live?
(b) New York City.
(d) New Jersey.
2. What does Lionel think a 'kike' is?
(a) A kite.
(b) A saint.
(c) A thief.
(d) A key chain.
3. Which famous French artist does the narrator claim to know personally?
(b) Pablo Picasso.
4. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
5. Why does it take Esme so long to write her first letter to the narrator?
(a) She moves.
(b) She loses the narrator's address.
(c) Her aunt is ill.
(d) Her brother is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
2. How old is Lionel when he first disappears?
3. Why does the narrator say he hates chairs?
4. What does the narrator order with his tea when he sits down in the tea room to read old letters?
5. Who do the goggles that are thrown overboard once belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
2. Why is Sandra so worried about Lionel when he runs away in Down at the Dinghy?
3. What happens to the narrator after he leaves the training course?
4. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
5. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
6. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
7. Why does Esme's long and complicated letter soothe the narrator more than one from his family?
8. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
9. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
10. Why is the narrator so taken by Esme?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)