|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does it take Esme so long to write her first letter to the narrator?
(a) She loses the narrator's address.
(b) She moves.
(c) Her aunt is ill.
(d) Her brother is ill.
2. What feature does the narrator first notice about Charles?
(a) His voice.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His hair.
(d) His intelligence.
3. Where does Arthur want to move?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
4. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
5. Why does the narrator say he hates chairs?
(a) He wants` Yoshoto to feel bad.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He is being rude.
(d) He is joking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song is Boo Boo singing on the way to the Dinghy?
2. What does Esme want to read about most?
3. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
4. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
5. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
2. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
3. What do the pickles, key chain and goggles tell us about Lionel?
4. Why is the narrator so taken with Sister Irma?
5. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
6. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris in 1929?
7. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
8. Why does Lionel run away so often?
9. Why does the narrator and Bobby move back to New York nine years later?
10. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)