|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
(a) She starts treating him better.
(b) He loves her too much.
(c) He feels sorry for her.
(d) She makes him laugh too much.
2. What does Arthur put up with for five years?
(a) Joanie's excessive gambling.
(b) Joanie's bad cooking.
(c) Joanie running around with other men.
(d) Joanie's excessive drinking.
3. What song is Boo Boo singing on the way to the Dinghy?
(a) Kentucky Babe.
(c) Blue Moon of Kentucky.
(d) Big River.
4. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
(a) The talented girl from choir practice.
(b) The choir practice instructor.
(c) The tea room owner.
(d) The waitress.
5. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
(a) He wants to come over.
(b) He is looking for Joanie.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is asking about work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is claiming to be an admiral?
2. Who wins the race back to the house at the end of the story, Down at the Dinghy?
3. What does Arthur think he finds in the closets when he gets home every night?
4. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
5. How do you describe Lee, from the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arthur call Lee back and pretend Joanie is finally home?
2. Why does Sister Irma withdraw from classes at the art school?
3. Why does the narrator lie in his lengthy application letter to the art school in Montreal?
4. Who does Lee think Joanie goes with after the party?
5. Why does Arthur want to move to Connecticut?
6. Why does Arthur call Lee in the first place of Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
7. Describe the narrator in For Esme -- with Love and Squalor.
8. Why does the tea room likely suit the narrator as a place to spend his last few hours in the town rather than the Red Cross recreation room?
9. Why is it ironic that the school closes down for not having a business license?
10. Why does Lionel cry when he throws the key chain overboard?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)