|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Muriel Glass' hotel located?
(a) Jacksonville, Florida.
(b) New York City.
(c) Charlotte, North Carolina.
(d) Miami, Florida.
2. How many times is Mary Jane at Eloise's house before?
(c) Three times.
(d) First time.
3. The poetry book that Seymour gives as a gift is written in what language?
4. Who is Seymour Glass?
(a) Muriel's brother.
(b) Muriel's father.
(c) Muriel's husband.
(d) Muriel's uncle.
5. Who is Muriel Glass speaking with on the telephone at the beginning of the story, A Perfect Day for Bananafish?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The hotel operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seymour do to Sybil right before they get out of the water?
2. Who cuts their finger in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
3. Who is Franklin?
4. What is Muriel Glass doing when the call comes through from the hotel operator?
5. Who is very ill in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Chief?
2. What happens to the Laughing Man?
3. Why does Ginnie suddenly forgive Selena's debt?
4. What does the floating red tissue represent in The Laughing Man?
5. What makes the reader think that perhaps Eric is not allowed into the military because he is homosexual?
6. Why can the reader sympathize with Eloise more than envy her?
7. Why is the Chief so important to the boys?
8. What does Franklin do to make Ginnie look at him in a positive light?
9. Why does Muriel insist that Seymour isn't capable of harmful actions?
10. What indications does the reader have in the beginning of the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos, that it is about a wealthy group of people?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)