|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eloise marry her husband?
(a) He is the most handsome man she's ever met.
(b) He is nice to her.
(c) He says he loves Jane Austen.
(d) He makes her laugh.
2. Who thinks Seymour is "manic?"
(a) The psychiatrist.
(b) Muriel's father.
(c) Muriel's mother.
3. Who is Joan?
(a) Eric's girlfriend.
(b) Ginnie's sister.
(c) Selena's sister.
(d) Franklin's girlfiend.
4. Who dies of cancer and weighs just 62 pounds in the story, Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut?
(b) Mary Jane.
(c) Mr. Weyinburg.
(d) Dr. Whiting.
5. Where is Muriel Glass' hotel located?
(a) Miami, Florida.
(b) New York City.
(c) Charlotte, North Carolina.
(d) Jacksonville, Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is accused of being the Queen of the Snobs in the story, Just Before the War with the Eskimos?
2. Who is Muriel Glass speaking with on the telephone at the beginning of the story, A Perfect Day for Bananafish?
3. Who is John Gedsudski?
4. What do the boys do on rainy days?
5. How is Seymour pushing Sybil in the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Chief so important to the boys?
2. Why is the reader uncertain whether Seymour is going to shoot himself, Muriel or both when he grabs the pistol out of the suitcase?
3. Why can the reader sympathize with Eloise more than envy her?
4. Who is the Laughing Man?
5. What happens to the Laughing Man?
6. What is wrong physically with Ramona?
7. What clues is the reader given that Franklin is bitter about Joan?
8. How does the reader know the setting takes place shortly after the end of World War II?
9. Why is Mary Jane part of the story, Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut?
10. What is the issue with the book Seymour gives Muriel?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)