|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
(a) Post D-Day training.
(b) Parachute jumper training.
(c) Pre-Invasion training.
(d) Weapons training.
2. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris?
(a) To find a job.
(b) For his new job.
(c) To learn how to speak French.
(d) To escape the Great Depression.
3. Why is the narrator of De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period going to art school?
(a) To meet women.
(b) To help his commercial art career.
(c) To make Bobby happy.
(d) To fill the time during the day.
4. How does Bobby lose everything?
(a) Wall Street crash of 1929.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He loses his job.
5. When does Arthur start thinking about leaving his wife?
(a) Last year.
(c) Five years ago.
(d) Last summer.
6. Who is Boo Boo Tannenbaum?
(a) The shut-in living next door.
(b) The lady of the house.
(c) The father.
(d) The son.
7. What is the narrator's first assignment from Mr. Yoshoto?
(a) Translating letters.
(b) Sweeping the floor.
(d) Instructing students.
8. What song is Boo Boo singing on the way to the Dinghy?
(a) Kentucky Babe.
(b) Big River.
(c) Blue Moon of Kentucky.
9. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
(a) Around her neck.
(b) Around her head.
(c) Around her waist.
(d) Around her leg.
10. Why is Le Amis Des Vieux Maitres closed down?
(a) It doesn't have a license.
(b) It doesn't have any students.
(c) It is out of money.
(d) It doesn't have any instructors.
11. Why does Arthur say his marriage isn't working?
(a) They don't have anything in common.
(b) They don't have any fun together.
(c) They are mis-mated.
(d) They are too far apart in age.
12. Where is Joanie throughout the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
(a) With Lee.
(b) With Bob and Leona.
(c) With Arthur.
(d) With the Ellenbogens.
13. What is the farthest distance Lionel ever runs away to?
(a) 250 yards.
(b) A couple of miles.
(c) A couple of blocks.
(d) The front door.
14. Who is Sandra?
(a) The sister.
(b) The maid.
(c) The mother.
(d) The neighbor.
15. What does Arthur think he finds in the closets when he gets home every night?
(a) A dog.
(c) The neighbors.
(d) Other men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arthur says the only people he knows in New York are Lee and a bunch of ________?
2. In De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, what is the narrator's most unrealistic wish for New York?
3. Where do Arthur and Lee live?
4. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
5. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)