|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Le Amis Des Vieux Maitres closed down?
(a) It doesn't have any students.
(b) It doesn't have a license.
(c) It doesn't have any instructors.
(d) It is out of money.
2. Who is Miss Megley?
(a) The waitress.
(b) The governess.
(c) The narrator's wife.
(d) The talented young singer.
3. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
(a) The tea room.
(b) The organ concert.
(c) The training facility.
4. What is Esme training herself to be?
(a) More compassionate.
(b) A better singer.
(c) A better dancer.
(d) A better reader.
5. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
(a) A story.
(b) A map.
(c) Her father's watch.
(d) A book of jokes from Charles.
6. What does Lionel think a 'kike' is?
(a) A key chain.
(b) A thief.
(c) A kite.
(d) A saint.
7. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
8. Who is Sandra?
(a) The mother.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The maid.
(d) The sister.
9. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
(a) To sell a painting.
(b) To apply for a job.
(c) To buy a comic book.
(d) To buy a volume of books.
10. Who does Lee say is Arthur's worst enemy?
11. What month is it when Lionel disappears in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
12. What does Arthur put up with for five years?
(a) Joanie running around with other men.
(b) Joanie's bad cooking.
(c) Joanie's excessive drinking.
(d) Joanie's excessive gambling.
13. Why does Arthur say his marriage isn't working?
(a) They are too far apart in age.
(b) They don't have any fun together.
(c) They are mis-mated.
(d) They don't have anything in common.
14. Who do the goggles that are thrown overboard once belong to?
(a) Lionel's father.
(b) Boo Boo.
(d) Uncle Webb and Uncle Seymour.
15. Why does it take Esme so long to write her first letter to the narrator?
(a) Her brother is ill.
(b) She moves.
(c) She loses the narrator's address.
(d) Her aunt is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the race back to the house at the end of the story, Down at the Dinghy?
2. What is one of Joanie's best traits?
3. Where do the Ellenborgens live?
4. What catches the narrator's attention, urging him to go inside the church?
5. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)