|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arthur want to move?
(a) To cut Joanie's social life off.
(b) To get a better job.
(c) To spend more time relaxing.
(d) To buy a bigger house.
2. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
(a) Around her waist.
(b) Around her leg.
(c) Around her neck.
(d) Around her head.
3. What does Sandra worry about weighing around the boy?
(a) The coffee.
(b) Her concern.
(c) Her words.
(d) The beans.
4. What catches the narrator's attention, urging him to go inside the church?
(a) A bible reading.
(b) An organ concert.
(c) Children's choir practice.
(d) A religious service.
5. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
(a) Post D-Day training.
(b) Parachute jumper training.
(c) Weapons training.
(d) Pre-Invasion training.
6. Where do the Ellenborgens live?
(c) New York City.
(d) New Jersey.
7. Where are Mrs. Snell's matches from?
(a) The Front Room.
(b) The Beach Club.
(c) The Stork Club.
(d) The Beak Club.
8. Which famous French artist does the narrator claim to know personally?
(d) Pablo Picasso.
9. Arthur says the only people he knows in New York are Lee and a bunch of ________?
(d) Drug addicts.
10. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
11. Who is Sandra?
(a) The maid.
(b) The mother.
(c) The sister.
(d) The neighbor.
12. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
(a) To buy a comic book.
(b) To apply for a job.
(c) To sell a painting.
(d) To buy a volume of books.
13. What does the narrator order with his tea when he sits down in the tea room to read old letters?
(a) Cinnamon toast.
(b) A croissant.
(c) A bagel.
14. What does Arthur think Joanie enjoys most about a new house?
(a) Getting a dog.
(b) The garden.
(c) The quiet.
(d) Decorating the new house.
15. What does the narrator's mother-in-law want him to send her?
(d) Cashmere yarn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the farthest distance Lionel ever runs away to?
2. What are the flashes of light the narrator ignores on his walk on the last day of training?
3. What does Lionel think a 'kike' is?
4. Who wins the race back to the house at the end of the story, Down at the Dinghy?
5. Who throws the key chain into the lake?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)