|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator in the story, For Esme - with Love and Squalor, receive the wedding invitation?
(a) By telegram.
(b) By air mail.
(c) By phone.
(d) By e-mail.
2. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
(a) From New York to Paris.
(b) From New Jersey to Rome.
(c) Back to Paris from New Jersey.
(d) Back to New York from Paris.
3. In De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, what is the narrator's most unrealistic wish for New York?
(a) That he finds a job.
(b) That everyone learns French.
(c) That he and Bobby find a house.
(d) That he is alone in the city.
4. Where are Mrs. Snell's matches from?
(a) The Stork Club.
(b) The Beak Club.
(c) The Front Room.
(d) The Beach Club.
5. Who is Boo Boo Tannenbaum?
(a) The father.
(b) The lady of the house.
(c) The son.
(d) The shut-in living next door.
6. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
7. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
(a) He can't sleep.
(b) He is asking about work.
(c) He is looking for Joanie.
(d) He wants to come over.
8. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
(a) The waitress.
(b) The talented girl from choir practice.
(c) The tea room owner.
(d) The choir practice instructor.
9. Why does Bobby move the family to Paris?
(a) To learn how to speak French.
(b) For his new job.
(c) To escape the Great Depression.
(d) To find a job.
10. What interesting item does Mrs. Snell always wear, even in summer?
(a) A black felt hat.
(b) A black scarf.
(c) A black felt coat.
(d) A long sweater.
11. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
(a) She starts treating him better.
(b) He loves her too much.
(c) She makes him laugh too much.
(d) He feels sorry for her.
12. Why does it take Esme so long to write her first letter to the narrator?
(a) Her aunt is ill.
(b) Her brother is ill.
(c) She moves.
(d) She loses the narrator's address.
13. How much does the job the narrator applied for under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith, pay?
(a) $28 a week.
(b) $28 a day.
(c) $288 a week.
(d) $288 a month.
14. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
15. Who wins the race back to the house at the end of the story, Down at the Dinghy?
(a) Boo Boo.
(b) Lionel's neighbor.
(d) Lionel's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's mother-in-law want him to send her?
2. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
3. Why does Arthur want to move?
4. Who throws the key chain into the lake?
5. How many keys are on the key chain that Boo Boo gives to Lionel?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)