|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose work does the narrator still recall clearly after many years?
(a) Mr. Yoshoto.
(b) Sister Irma.
(c) R. Howard Ridgefield.
(d) Bambi Kramer.
2. Where are Mrs. Snell's matches from?
(a) The Beak Club.
(b) The Beach Club.
(c) The Stork Club.
(d) The Front Room.
3. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
(a) A book of jokes from Charles.
(b) Her father's watch.
(c) A story.
(d) A map.
4. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
(a) He wants to come over.
(b) He is looking for Joanie.
(c) He can't sleep.
(d) He is asking about work.
5. What food item do they want to lure Lionel out of the boat with?
(d) Peanut butter.
6. Who wins the race back to the house at the end of the story, Down at the Dinghy?
(a) Lionel's father.
(c) Lionel's neighbor.
(d) Boo Boo.
7. What does the narrator's mother-in-law want him to send her?
(d) Cashmere yarn.
8. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
9. What are the flashes of light the narrator ignores on his walk on the last day of training?
(b) Camera bulb flashes.
(c) Power outages.
10. Where does Arthur want to move?
(b) New York City.
(d) New Jersey.
11. Who directs the training course taken by the narrator and the 60 Americans?
(a) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(b) British Intelligence.
(c) The FBI.
(d) The CIA.
12. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
(a) She starts treating him better.
(b) He loves her too much.
(c) He feels sorry for her.
(d) She makes him laugh too much.
13. What does Arthur think Joanie enjoys most about a new house?
(a) Getting a dog.
(b) Decorating the new house.
(c) The quiet.
(d) The garden.
14. What song is Boo Boo singing on the way to the Dinghy?
(b) Blue Moon of Kentucky.
(c) Big River.
(d) Kentucky Babe.
15. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
(a) Back to New York from Paris.
(b) Back to Paris from New Jersey.
(c) From New Jersey to Rome.
(d) From New York to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
2. Arthur says the only people he knows in New York are Lee and a bunch of ________?
3. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
4. How old is Lionel when he first disappears?
5. What does Arthur put up with for five years?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)