|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Arthur start thinking about leaving his wife?
(a) Last summer.
(c) Last year.
(d) Five years ago.
2. What does the narrator's mother-in-law want him to send her?
(c) Cashmere yarn.
3. Where does Arthur want to move?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
4. What is one of Joanie's best traits?
(a) Picking out suits.
5. What happens to Charles' father?
(a) He dies of heart failure.
(b) He is killed on D-Day.
(c) He is killed in a car accident.
(d) He is killed in North Africa.
6. Why does Arthur want to move?
(a) To buy a bigger house.
(b) To spend more time relaxing.
(c) To get a better job.
(d) To cut Joanie's social life off.
7. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
(a) Pre-Invasion training.
(b) Post D-Day training.
(c) Weapons training.
(d) Parachute jumper training.
8. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
(a) To sell a painting.
(b) To buy a comic book.
(c) To buy a volume of books.
(d) To apply for a job.
9. Where does the narrator accept a job in De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) New York.
10. Who is Lissberg?
(a) Joanie's lover.
(b) Lee's boss.
(c) The attorney for the plantiff in Arthur's case.
(d) Arthur's client.
11. What is the farthest distance Lionel ever runs away to?
(a) A couple of miles.
(b) The front door.
(c) 250 yards.
(d) A couple of blocks.
12. What artist does the narrator most resemble?
(a) Da Vinci.
(b) El Grecco.
13. Why is the narrator of De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period going to art school?
(a) To fill the time during the day.
(b) To make Bobby happy.
(c) To meet women.
(d) To help his commercial art career.
14. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
(a) He can't sleep.
(b) He wants to come over.
(c) He is looking for Joanie.
(d) He is asking about work.
15. What are the flashes of light the narrator ignores on his walk on the last day of training?
(a) Power outages.
(d) Camera bulb flashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the job the narrator applied for under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith, pay?
2. What does Esme want to read about most?
3. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
4. Where is Joanie throughout the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
5. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)