|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arthur say his marriage isn't working?
(a) They are too far apart in age.
(b) They don't have any fun together.
(c) They are mis-mated.
(d) They don't have anything in common.
2. How much does the job the narrator applied for under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith, pay?
(a) $288 a month.
(b) $28 a day.
(c) $28 a week.
(d) $288 a week.
3. Who directs the training course taken by the narrator and the 60 Americans?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(c) British Intelligence.
(d) The CIA.
4. How many keys are on the key chain that Boo Boo gives to Lionel?
5. Who wins the race back to the house at the end of the story, Down at the Dinghy?
(a) Lionel's father.
(b) Lionel's neighbor.
(c) Boo Boo.
6. What does Sandra worry about weighing around the boy?
(a) Her concern.
(b) The coffee.
(c) Her words.
(d) The beans.
7. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
(b) The training facility.
(c) The organ concert.
(d) The tea room.
8. Who is Miss Megley?
(a) The talented young singer.
(b) The waitress.
(c) The governess.
(d) The narrator's wife.
9. In De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, what is the narrator's most unrealistic wish for New York?
(a) That everyone learns French.
(b) That he finds a job.
(c) That he and Bobby find a house.
(d) That he is alone in the city.
10. Where are Mrs. Snell's matches from?
(a) The Front Room.
(b) The Stork Club.
(c) The Beach Club.
(d) The Beak Club.
11. How does Bobby lose everything?
(a) Wall Street crash of 1929.
(b) He loses his job.
(d) He is robbed.
12. Where does the narrator think Esme should wear her watch instead of her wrist?
(a) Around her neck.
(b) Around her head.
(c) Around her waist.
(d) Around her leg.
13. What are the flashes of light the narrator ignores on his walk on the last day of training?
(a) Camera bulb flashes.
(b) Power outages.
14. How does the narrator in the story, For Esme - with Love and Squalor, receive the wedding invitation?
(a) By e-mail.
(b) By phone.
(c) By air mail.
(d) By telegram.
15. Who is Sandra?
(a) The sister.
(b) The maid.
(c) The neighbor.
(d) The mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many total teeth are pulled from the narrator's mouth throughout the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
2. What does Esme include with a letter in the package to the narrator?
3. Who is Lissberg?
4. What does the narrator order with his tea when he sits down in the tea room to read old letters?
5. What happens to Charles' father?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)