|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arthur say his marriage isn't working?
(a) They are mis-mated.
(b) They are too far apart in age.
(c) They don't have anything in common.
(d) They don't have any fun together.
2. What does the narrator order with his tea when he sits down in the tea room to read old letters?
(a) Cinnamon toast.
(c) A bagel.
(d) A croissant.
3. What does Arthur think he finds in the closets when he gets home every night?
(a) The neighbors.
(b) A dog.
(d) Other men.
4. Who is Miss Megley?
(a) The narrator's wife.
(b) The governess.
(c) The waitress.
(d) The talented young singer.
5. Who is Sandra?
(a) The maid.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The sister.
(d) The mother.
6. What does Sandra worry about weighing around the boy?
(a) The coffee.
(b) Her concern.
(c) Her words.
(d) The beans.
7. Why does Arthur want to move?
(a) To get a better job.
(b) To buy a bigger house.
(c) To spend more time relaxing.
(d) To cut Joanie's social life off.
8. Why does the narrator write a letter to Mr. Yoshoto?
(a) To buy a comic book.
(b) To buy a volume of books.
(c) To apply for a job.
(d) To sell a painting.
9. Which famous French artist does the narrator claim to know personally?
(a) Pablo Picasso.
10. How does Bobby lose everything?
(a) He loses his job.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) Wall Street crash of 1929.
11. What feature does the narrator first notice about Charles?
(a) His hair.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His voice.
12. What does the narrator's mother-in-law want him to send her?
(d) Cashmere yarn.
13. Why doesn't Arthur leave his wife?
(a) She starts treating him better.
(b) He loves her too much.
(c) She makes him laugh too much.
(d) He feels sorry for her.
14. Who directs the training course taken by the narrator and the 60 Americans?
(a) The FBI.
(b) British Intelligence.
(c) The CIA.
(d) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
15. Where do the Ellenborgens live?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in the story, For Esme - with Love and Squalor, receive the wedding invitation?
2. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
3. How old is Lionel when he first disappears?
4. Whose work does the narrator still recall clearly after many years?
5. What does Arthur put up with for five years?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)