|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who thinks all Americans despise tea?
(a) The tea room owner.
(b) The talented girl from choir practice.
(c) The waitress.
(d) The choir practice instructor.
2. Why does it take Esme so long to write her first letter to the narrator?
(a) Her brother is ill.
(b) She loses the narrator's address.
(c) Her aunt is ill.
(d) She moves.
3. Where does Arthur want to move?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York City.
4. Where do Arthur and Lee live?
(b) New York City.
(c) New Jersey.
5. How does the narrator in the story, For Esme - with Love and Squalor, receive the wedding invitation?
(a) By air mail.
(b) By phone.
(c) By telegram.
(d) By e-mail.
6. What is the farthest distance Lionel ever runs away to?
(a) A couple of miles.
(b) The front door.
(c) 250 yards.
(d) A couple of blocks.
7. How old is the narrator from the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period, when his parents divorce?
8. What is the narrator's most traumatic move in the story, De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period?
(a) From New Jersey to Rome.
(b) Back to New York from Paris.
(c) From New York to Paris.
(d) Back to Paris from New Jersey.
9. Who is Miss Megley?
(a) The narrator's wife.
(b) The governess.
(c) The talented young singer.
(d) The waitress.
10. How much does the job the narrator applied for under the name, Jean de Daumier-Smith, pay?
(a) $28 a day.
(b) $28 a week.
(c) $288 a month.
(d) $288 a week.
11. What course do 60 American enlisted men take in the story, For Esme - With Love and Squalor?
(a) Post D-Day training.
(b) Pre-Invasion training.
(c) Parachute jumper training.
(d) Weapons training.
12. Arthur says the only people he knows in New York are Lee and a bunch of ________?
(c) Drug addicts.
13. How old is the boy in the story, Down at the Dinghy?
14. Who do the goggles that are thrown overboard once belong to?
(a) Lionel's father.
(b) Boo Boo.
(d) Uncle Webb and Uncle Seymour.
15. Where are Mrs. Snell's matches from?
(a) The Beak Club.
(b) The Stork Club.
(c) The Beach Club.
(d) The Front Room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interesting item does Mrs. Snell always wear, even in summer?
2. Why does Arthur say his marriage isn't working?
3. How old is Lionel when he first disappears?
4. Where does the narrator see the talented young singer, giving him a chance to speak with her?
5. Why does Arthur call Lee at the beginning of the story, Pretty Mouth and Green my Eyes?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)