|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Edward suggest that Henry would be a better father?
2. How do the stage directions describe Henry's discussion of Waldo' virtues?
3. Besides suggesting that Henry would be a better father, what else does Edward suggest to his mother?
4. What does Henry believe is the motivation for the war in Mexico?
5. When Henry refuses to assault the enemy, how does his mother respond?
Essay Topic 1
In Act II, Lee and Lawrence further develop the idea of what war Henry is fighting against.
Part 1) What war is he initially fighting?
Part 2) What war is added? How is this war foreshadowed in Act I?
Part 3) What is the connection between the two wars?
Essay Topic 2
The war in Vietnam was fought in large part by young black men who were unable to buy their way out of or otherwise evade the draft. These black soldiers were, in essence, enslaved by the army to fight, and while many white draftees were able to escape from military service.
Part 1) How do the playwrights, whether intentionally or unintentionally, parallel this knowledge in the play?
Part 2) Compare the Vietnam War to the wars mentioned in the play.
Part 3) How might Henry have reacted to this knowledge about the Vietnam War? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Henry is not afraid to stand up to authority.
Part 1) Use the play to support this statement.
Part 2) How are those around him affected by this attitude?
Part 3) How is authority affected by Henry's choices?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)