|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry respond when Williams asks why he lives in slave-like poverty?
2. As who does Waldo appear?
3. Henry objects to Waldo not appearing. How does Lydian feel?
4. What does Henry recognizes about his devotion to Waldo?
5. When does Henry comfort Edward with the knowledge that he has now planted new Huckleberry plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry opens Act II by talking about freedom.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy?
Part 2) What examples does he give showing the freedom he has utilized?
Part 3) Why might society fear freedom?
Essay Topic 2
The first act of Lawrence and Lees' play develops the characters and themes that made it one of the most controversial and successful plays of the late-1960s.
Part 1) Who is the protagonist? How does he or she change throughout this play?
Part 2) What are two of the themes in this play?
Part 3) Describe the importance of these two themes and how they relate to the characters in this play.
Essay Topic 3
The events of the first act develop Henry as an individualist who believes deeply in personal freedom.
Part 1) How is Henry an individualist?
Part 2) What is Transcendentalism?
Part 3) How does Transcendentalism influence Henry's belief in personal freedom?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)