|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry respond when Williams asks why he lives in slave-like poverty?
2. When does Henry comfort Edward with the knowledge that he has now planted new Huckleberry plants?
3. What is happening to Henry in this scene?
4. Where does Henry advice him to go?
5. What does Henry assure Williams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the other characters in the play end up being contrasted with Henry, and each of them fail to measure up in some way.
Part 1) Name two characters that are contrasted with Henry.
Part 2) How do these two characters fail to measure up?
Part 3) Must the characters measure up to Henry, or is it okay for them to have differing beliefs and opinion from Henry?
Essay Topic 2
The events of the first act develop Henry as an individualist who believes deeply in personal freedom.
Part 1) How is Henry an individualist?
Part 2) What is Transcendentalism?
Part 3) How does Transcendentalism influence Henry's belief in personal freedom?
Essay Topic 3
We learn that Henry's opinion about speaking out against injustice has evolved
Part 1) How does he originally feel about speaking out?
Part 2) How does his opinion change?
Part 3) Why does it change?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)