|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lydian notes that Waldo loves Henry. What does she ask Henry?
2. What does the lighting in this jail cell scene make clear through its frightening blasts of red and other psychedelic colors?
3. Henry objects to Waldo not appearing. How does Lydian feel?
4. About what is Henry's poem/prayer?
5. Edward is a young drummer boy, and Sam Staples is a Sergeant. What does Bailey become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intellectualism and freedom are brought together when Waldo and Henry finally clash.
Part 1) How do they clash?
Part 2) What does this do to their friendship?
Part 3) What does this teach Henry about unrealistic expectations?
Essay Topic 2
In Act Two, the exchange between Henry and Lydian early in the chapter shows that in his efforts to be like Waldo, Henry has started to assume some of the threads of Waldo's life.
Part 1) How has Waldo begun to assume threads of Waldo's life?
Part 2) How does this affect Edward and Lydian?
Part 3) What does Lydian suggest to Henry to try to encourage him away from trying to take over Waldo's life?
Essay Topic 3
The events of the first act develop Henry as an individualist who believes deeply in personal freedom.
Part 1) How is Henry an individualist?
Part 2) What is Transcendentalism?
Part 3) How does Transcendentalism influence Henry's belief in personal freedom?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)