|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarity between Henry and Waldo do John and Mother note?
2. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
3. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
4. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
5. Whose nightmare of Henry being arrested has come true?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baily ask of Henry? What is Henry's response?
2. What is the set for this play?
3. What is Waldo's reaction to Henry's arrest?
4. How do Edward Henry grow closer during their time together?
5. What might the flute melody represent?
6. Why does Henry think more people should be willing to go to jail?
7. Sam brings him breakfast, and tells him that the telegraph line to Texas has been finished. What does the finished telegraph line to Texas mean?
8. What does Henry think of retirement?
9. Describe Henry's negotiations for his pay for working for Waldo.
10. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act Two, the exchange between Henry and Lydian early in the chapter shows that in his efforts to be like Waldo, Henry has started to assume some of the threads of Waldo's life.
Part 1) How has Waldo begun to assume threads of Waldo's life?
Part 2) How does this affect Edward and Lydian?
Part 3) What does Lydian suggest to Henry to try to encourage him away from trying to take over Waldo's life?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Henry is depicted in the play as a solitary revolutionary, who uses techniques of passive resistance to protest against injustice.
Part 1) How is he a revolutionary?
Part 2) What techniques of passive resistance does he use?
Part 3) How do Henry's thoughts and actions reflects those of the tumultuous 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
Williams greatly admires Henry.
Part 1) What does he want to do, because he so admires Henry?
Part 2) How does Henry react to this?
Part 3) Why might be the reason for why Williams wanted to honor Henry in this way?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)