|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
2. What is Henry's advice when Bailey says he cannot swim?
3. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
4. What does Ellen wish about Henry?
5. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ellen supportive of Henry at his brother's funeral?
2. What does Henry think of Ralph Waldo Emerson?
3. What stops the war action on stage for a moment?
4. What is the lighting like at the beginning of the first scene?
5. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
6. How does Henry get out of jail?
7. What does Edward tell his mother when he and Henry return? What is his reasoning for this?
8. How do Henry's mother and brother say about him?
9. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
10. Why does Henry encourage Williams to go to Canada? What happens to Williams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the other characters in the play end up being contrasted with Henry, and each of them fail to measure up in some way.
Part 1) Name two characters that are contrasted with Henry.
Part 2) How do these two characters fail to measure up?
Part 3) Must the characters measure up to Henry, or is it okay for them to have differing beliefs and opinion from Henry?
Essay Topic 2
We learn that Henry's opinion about speaking out against injustice has evolved
Part 1) How does he originally feel about speaking out?
Part 2) How does his opinion change?
Part 3) Why does it change?
Essay Topic 3
Another important idea is Henry's disillusionment with intellectualism.
Part 1) What is intellectualism?
Part 2) Why might Henry have been initially drawn to intellectualism?
Part 3) Why does Henry become disillusioned with intellectualism?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)