|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
2. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
3. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
4. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
5. What is Transcendentalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry attempt to stay in jail?
2. How is Waldo's dream created on the stage?
3. What happens after Henry gives Waldo the advice to speak out against the war?
4. How is Ellen supportive of Henry at his brother's funeral?
5. What stops the war action on stage for a moment?
6. Describe Henry's negotiations for his pay for working for Waldo.
7. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
8. How do Edward Henry grow closer during their time together?
9. What advice of his own does Henry take?
10. What inspires Henry at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the other characters in the play end up being contrasted with Henry, and each of them fail to measure up in some way.
Part 1) Name two characters that are contrasted with Henry.
Part 2) How do these two characters fail to measure up?
Part 3) Must the characters measure up to Henry, or is it okay for them to have differing beliefs and opinion from Henry?
Essay Topic 2
In Act II, Lee and Lawrence further develop the idea of what war Henry is fighting against.
Part 1) What war is he initially fighting?
Part 2) What war is added? How is this war foreshadowed in Act I?
Part 3) What is the connection between the two wars?
Essay Topic 3
Intellectualism and freedom are brought together when Waldo and Henry finally clash.
Part 1) How do they clash?
Part 2) What does this do to their friendship?
Part 3) What does this teach Henry about unrealistic expectations?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)