Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
2. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
3. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
4. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
5. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the set for this play?
2. What does Henry say about humanity's effect on the environment?
3. What does Henry think of Ralph Waldo Emerson?
4. Why does Henry try to conform to Deacon Ball's expectations? Is he able to conform?
5. Translate Henry's poem/prayer for Bailey. "Blessed Are the Young, for they do not read the President's speeches. Blessed Are They who never read a newspaper, for they shall see Nature and, through her, God. Blessed is Bailey, for he's a good fellow and deserves better treatment than you've been giving him even though he is a man of letters."
6. What is the cause of John's death? How does Henry react to this tragic event?
7. How does the act close?
8. Why does Henry encourage Williams to go to Canada? What happens to Williams?
9. What inspires Henry at the end of the play?
10. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
Essay Topic 1
Another important idea is Henry's disillusionment with intellectualism.
Part 1) What is intellectualism?
Part 2) Why might Henry have been initially drawn to intellectualism?
Part 3) Why does Henry become disillusioned with intellectualism?
Essay Topic 2
In Act II, Lee and Lawrence further develop the idea of what war Henry is fighting against.
Part 1) What war is he initially fighting?
Part 2) What war is added? How is this war foreshadowed in Act I?
Part 3) What is the connection between the two wars?
Essay Topic 3
Humanity is flawed.
Part 1) What happens that forces Henry to face the fact that Waldo cannot live up to his expectations?
Part 2) What excuse does Lydian give for Waldo?
Part 3) What does Henry do after the event? How does this make him feel?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)