|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
2. What word does Deacon Ball use incorrectly, which actually means forbidden?
3. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
4. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
5. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discussion do John and Henry have regarding Ellen's interest in both brothers?
2. How does Henry show that he cares about his brother and his brother's feelings?
3. What is the set for this play?
4. How are Henry's Sunday rituals very different from many in town?
5. How does Henry feel about this decision?
6. Why does Henry try to conform to Deacon Ball's expectations? Is he able to conform?
7. How does Henry become Edward's tutor?
8. What is Deacon Ball's reaction to Henry's class discussion?
9. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
10. What does Henry tell Waldo to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry opens Act II by talking about freedom.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy?
Part 2) What examples does he give showing the freedom he has utilized?
Part 3) Why might society fear freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Williams greatly admires Henry.
Part 1) What does he want to do, because he so admires Henry?
Part 2) How does Henry react to this?
Part 3) Why might be the reason for why Williams wanted to honor Henry in this way?
Essay Topic 3
One of the most important elements of Henry's character is his irreverent sense of humor.
Part 1) Give an example from the play showing his sense of humor.
Part 2) How does Henry use his sense of humor to reveal his beliefs?
Part 3) As the first act progresses, Henry's use of humor becomes less about wit and more about bitter social or political commentary. Give an example from the play to support this statement.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)