|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
2. Where does Henry live?
3. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
4. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
5. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What roles do the play's characters assume in Henry's dream?
2. What does Henry learn about his obsession with Waldo?
3. What argument takes place between Lydian and Henry, regarding his behavior?
4. How does Henry show that he cares about his brother and his brother's feelings?
5. What does Henry tell Bailey about his home?
6. How is Waldo's dream created on the stage?
7. What do Henry and Bailey see out the cell window?
8. How does Sam show that he is acting against his wishes when serving Henry with his tax bill?
9. Why will Ellen not marry John?
10. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry makes a significant realization at the end of the play.
Part 1) What is this realization?
Part 2) What decision does it lead him to make?
Part 3) How does he feel about this decision?
Essay Topic 2
All of the other characters in the play end up being contrasted with Henry, and each of them fail to measure up in some way.
Part 1) Name two characters that are contrasted with Henry.
Part 2) How do these two characters fail to measure up?
Part 3) Must the characters measure up to Henry, or is it okay for them to have differing beliefs and opinion from Henry?
Essay Topic 3
In Act Two, the exchange between Henry and Lydian early in the chapter shows that in his efforts to be like Waldo, Henry has started to assume some of the threads of Waldo's life.
Part 1) How has Waldo begun to assume threads of Waldo's life?
Part 2) How does this affect Edward and Lydian?
Part 3) What does Lydian suggest to Henry to try to encourage him away from trying to take over Waldo's life?
This section contains 1,675 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)