|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Sam mark?
2. In another area of the stage, Henry's mother is visibly upset. What does she ask Henry?
3. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
4. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
5. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry say to Ellen, showing the audience that he likes her?
2. What might the flute melody represent?
3. What is the discussion between Henry and Bailey, regarding time?
4. Sam brings him breakfast, and tells him that the telegraph line to Texas has been finished. What does the finished telegraph line to Texas mean?
5. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
6. What might be the reason for Lydian's suggestion that Henry should leave while Waldo is away in England?
7. Why does Henry think more people should be willing to go to jail?
8. What does Baily ask of Henry? What is Henry's response?
9. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
10. What stops the war action on stage for a moment?
Essay Topic 1
Humanity is flawed.
Part 1) What happens that forces Henry to face the fact that Waldo cannot live up to his expectations?
Part 2) What excuse does Lydian give for Waldo?
Part 3) What does Henry do after the event? How does this make him feel?
Essay Topic 2
The events of the first act develop Henry as an individualist who believes deeply in personal freedom.
Part 1) How is Henry an individualist?
Part 2) What is Transcendentalism?
Part 3) How does Transcendentalism influence Henry's belief in personal freedom?
Essay Topic 3
We learn that Henry's opinion about speaking out against injustice has evolved
Part 1) How does he originally feel about speaking out?
Part 2) How does his opinion change?
Part 3) Why does it change?
This section contains 1,686 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)