|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
2. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
3. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
4. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
5. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
2. What argument takes place between Lydian and Henry, regarding his behavior?
3. What advice of his own does Henry take?
4. Why does Henry react violently when Williams tells him what he wants to be called? Why might Williams want to be called this?
5. Translate Henry's poem/prayer for Bailey. "Blessed Are the Young, for they do not read the President's speeches. Blessed Are They who never read a newspaper, for they shall see Nature and, through her, God. Blessed is Bailey, for he's a good fellow and deserves better treatment than you've been giving him even though he is a man of letters."
6. What does Henry tell Waldo to do?
7. What is Waldo's reaction to Henry's arrest?
8. How does Henry know what work needs to be done for Waldo and Lydian?
9. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
10. Why does Henry think more people should be willing to go to jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the other characters in the play end up being contrasted with Henry, and each of them fail to measure up in some way.
Part 1) Name two characters that are contrasted with Henry.
Part 2) How do these two characters fail to measure up?
Part 3) Must the characters measure up to Henry, or is it okay for them to have differing beliefs and opinion from Henry?
Essay Topic 2
Henry opens Act II by talking about freedom.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy?
Part 2) What examples does he give showing the freedom he has utilized?
Part 3) Why might society fear freedom?
Essay Topic 3
The school that Henry and John start is perhaps the clearest example of this stand against intellectualism.
Part 1) Describe the school.
Part 2) Why does the school fail?
Part 3) Although the school fails, is it a complete failure? Explain.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)