|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
2. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
3. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
4. What does Ellen wish about Henry?
5. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry feel about this decision?
2. What is Deacon Ball's reaction to Henry's class discussion?
3. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
4. What do Henry and Bailey see out the cell window?
5. How do Henry's mother and brother say about him?
6. How does Henry show that he cares about his brother and his brother's feelings?
7. Why does Henry encourage Williams to go to Canada? What happens to Williams?
8. What does Henry think of retirement?
9. What stops the war action on stage for a moment?
10. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the other characters in the play end up being contrasted with Henry, and each of them fail to measure up in some way.
Part 1) Name two characters that are contrasted with Henry.
Part 2) How do these two characters fail to measure up?
Part 3) Must the characters measure up to Henry, or is it okay for them to have differing beliefs and opinion from Henry?
Essay Topic 2
In Act II, Lee and Lawrence further develop the idea of what war Henry is fighting against.
Part 1) What war is he initially fighting?
Part 2) What war is added? How is this war foreshadowed in Act I?
Part 3) What is the connection between the two wars?
Essay Topic 3
Henry is not afraid to stand up to authority.
Part 1) Use the play to support this statement.
Part 2) How are those around him affected by this attitude?
Part 3) How is authority affected by Henry's choices?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)