|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
2. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
3. What occupation does Sam mark?
4. For what does Henry propose to work?
5. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry react violently when Williams tells him what he wants to be called? Why might Williams want to be called this?
2. How is Ellen supportive of Henry at his brother's funeral?
3. Where does Lydian send Edward and Henry?
4. What argument takes place between Lydian and Henry, regarding his behavior?
5. What does Waldo mean when he accuses Henry of resigning from the human race?
6. How does Henry show affection for Lydian? What is her response?
7. What does Henry tell Bailey about his home?
8. How is Waldo's dream created on the stage?
9. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
10. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
We learn that Henry's opinion about speaking out against injustice has evolved
Part 1) How does he originally feel about speaking out?
Part 2) How does his opinion change?
Part 3) Why does it change?
Essay Topic 2
Another important idea is Henry's disillusionment with intellectualism.
Part 1) What is intellectualism?
Part 2) Why might Henry have been initially drawn to intellectualism?
Part 3) Why does Henry become disillusioned with intellectualism?
Essay Topic 3
The events of the first act develop Henry as an individualist who believes deeply in personal freedom.
Part 1) How is Henry an individualist?
Part 2) What is Transcendentalism?
Part 3) How does Transcendentalism influence Henry's belief in personal freedom?
This section contains 1,733 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)