|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
2. Sam notes that he does not like having to serve Henry with the bill. What does Henry urge him to do?
3. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
4. For what does Henry propose to work?
5. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be the reason for Lydian's suggestion that Henry should leave while Waldo is away in England?
2. How does Henry attempt to stay in jail?
3. Why is Henry in jail?
4. How does Act II open?
5. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
6. What is the discussion between Henry and Bailey, regarding time?
7. What does Henry think of Ralph Waldo Emerson?
8. How do Waldo and Henry treat one another, as opposed to how they feel about one another?
9. How does Henry show that he cares about his brother and his brother's feelings?
10. What does Henry tell Waldo to do?
Essay Topic 1
Another important idea is Henry's disillusionment with intellectualism.
Part 1) What is intellectualism?
Part 2) Why might Henry have been initially drawn to intellectualism?
Part 3) Why does Henry become disillusioned with intellectualism?
Essay Topic 2
In Act Two, the exchange between Henry and Lydian early in the chapter shows that in his efforts to be like Waldo, Henry has started to assume some of the threads of Waldo's life.
Part 1) How has Waldo begun to assume threads of Waldo's life?
Part 2) How does this affect Edward and Lydian?
Part 3) What does Lydian suggest to Henry to try to encourage him away from trying to take over Waldo's life?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of isolation is absolutely essential.
Part 1) When do we first see Henry as an isolationist?
Part 2) What does this isolation do to Henry's abilities to fight injustice?
Part 3) What change does he make to better fight injustice?
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)