|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
(a) He knows she loves him.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He knows she likes John.
(d) He knows that John likes her very much.
2. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
(a) To do so would make him a murderer.
(b) He likes Mexico.
(c) He does not like taxes.
(d) He does not have the money.
3. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) He does not have the money.
(b) The government is corrupt.
(c) He hates paying taxes.
(d) Taxes do not help the people.
4. Henry replies that he likes the way the alphabet sounds and feels when read backwards. Why does he think that things should be mixed up?
(a) It would be more fun that way.
(b) To make the alphabet less linear and more human.
(c) To make the alphabet more exciting.
(d) It would be very tricky for everyone to remember.
5. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He will work for room and board.
(b) He does not need any money.
(c) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(d) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
2. In what town is the play set?
3. What is Henry's response when Ellen asks what will happen to the school now that there are no students?
4. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
5. How does Bailey feel about being in jail with Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Baily ask of Henry? What is Henry's response?
2. What discussion do John and Henry have regarding Ellen's interest in both brothers?
3. What does Henry think of Ralph Waldo Emerson?
4. How do Henry's mother and brother say about him?
5. What does Henry tell Bailey about his home?
6. Why does Henry think more people should be willing to go to jail?
7. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
8. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
9. What advice of his own does Henry take?
10. How does Henry attempt to stay in jail?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)