|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
(b) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
(c) He does not believe in God.
(d) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
2. Why does Ellen not marry John?
(a) She loves Henry.
(b) Her father objects.
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She is too young.
3. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's nature.
(b) Henry's Harvard education.
(c) Henry's desire to be isolated.
(d) Henry's private school education.
4. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
(a) A picnic.
(b) A boat ride.
(c) A walk.
(d) A swim.
5. Whose nightmare of Henry being arrested has come true?
(b) His mother's.
(c) His brother's.
(d) His father's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
2. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
3. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
4. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
5. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry get out of jail?
2. How does Henry show affection for Lydian? What is her response?
3. What is evidence that Henry's thoughts might seem backwards?
4. Why will Ellen not marry John?
5. What advice of his own does Henry take?
6. Why is Henry in jail?
7. How is Ellen supportive of Henry at his brother's funeral?
8. What might be the reason for Lydian's suggestion that Henry should leave while Waldo is away in England?
9. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
10. What does Henry think of retirement?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)