|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
(a) He is afraid she will cringe.
(b) He does not like her.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) Out of a sense of propriety.
2. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A species he has not seen in the area.
(b) An ant hill.
(c) A beautiful flower.
(d) A new species of bee.
3. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
(b) They both like Ellen.
(c) They want many wives.
(d) They are considering creating their own cult.
4. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Burning down a barn.
(b) Murdering his neighbor.
(c) Breaking and entering.
(d) Robbing a store.
5. When Waldo offers money, how does Henry respond?
(a) He wants to be paid in kind.
(b) He readily accepts his offer.
(c) He want to negotiate a salary.
(d) He has already been paid by being able to listen to his mentor's lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
2. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
3. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
4. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
5. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the act close?
2. How is Ellen supportive of Henry at his brother's funeral?
3. What is evidence that Henry's thoughts might seem backwards?
4. How does Henry show that he cares about his brother and his brother's feelings?
5. How do Waldo and Henry treat one another, as opposed to how they feel about one another?
6. What inspires Henry at the end of the play?
7. How do Henry's mother and brother say about him?
8. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
9. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
10. How does Act II open?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)