|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
(a) He gives a shout of joy.
(b) He gives a derisive snort.
(c) He cries.
(d) He laughs.
2. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Cast conformity behind you."
(b) "Follow the yellow brick road."
(c) "Follow your own path."
(d) "Be free to be yourself."
3. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
(a) His brother, John.
(b) His friend, Waldo.
(c) The guard, Sam.
(d) His cellmate, Bailey.
4. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Edward Emerson.
(d) John Thoreau.
5. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
(a) He is not following the curriculum.
(b) The students do not address him as "Sir."
(c) Matters of theology should be left to religious leaders.
(d) There are girls in the course.
Short Answer Questions
1. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
2. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
3. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
4. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
5. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be the reason for Lydian's suggestion that Henry should leave while Waldo is away in England?
2. How is Waldo's dream created on the stage?
3. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
4. What inspires Henry at the end of the play?
5. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
6. What is the cause of John's death? How does Henry react to this tragic event?
7. Why does Henry try to conform to Deacon Ball's expectations? Is he able to conform?
8. What is the lighting like at the beginning of the first scene?
9. What is Waldo's reaction to Henry's arrest?
10. Why does Henry encourage Williams to go to Canada? What happens to Williams?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)