|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
(a) Read as many books as possible.
(b) Write books.
(c) Be picky when choosing a book to read.
(d) Find books instead of the other way around.
2. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
(a) A picnic.
(b) A walk.
(c) A swim.
(d) A boat ride.
3. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Cast conformity behind you."
(b) "Be free to be yourself."
(c) "Follow your own path."
(d) "Follow the yellow brick road."
4. For what does Henry propose to work?
(a) A small Salary.
(b) A piece of Waldo's property in the woods, so that he can conduct an "experiment."
(d) A small garden in the back property.
5. Henry replies that he likes the way the alphabet sounds and feels when read backwards. Why does he think that things should be mixed up?
(a) It would be more fun that way.
(b) To make the alphabet less linear and more human.
(c) It would be very tricky for everyone to remember.
(d) To make the alphabet more exciting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
2. In what town is the play set?
3. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
4. What does Henry offer to Waldo and Lydian?
5. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act II open?
2. What does Henry tell Bailey about his home?
3. How does Henry know what work needs to be done for Waldo and Lydian?
4. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
5. What does Henry think of Ralph Waldo Emerson?
6. Waldo marvels at Henry, and expresses his own admiration for Henry's beliefs. He refers to Henry as a "walking ethic," living proof of Transcendentalism. Why does he feel this way about Henry?
7. How does the act close?
8. What is evidence that Henry's thoughts might seem backwards?
9. Sam brings him breakfast, and tells him that the telegraph line to Texas has been finished. What does the finished telegraph line to Texas mean?
10. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)