|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
(a) An old college professor.
(b) A Roman emperor giving away gold coins
(c) A Unitarian preacher.
(d) The President of the United States.
2. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
(a) He has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not approve of Transcendentalism.
(b) he has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not care for Henry.
(c) He has enterd Edmund into the school because he is a Transcedentalist.
(d) He is sending Edmund to boarding school to get a better education.
3. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
(a) He never earns a fortune.
(b) He dies wealthy and a poet.
(c) He dies on his way to India.
(d) He dies with a huge fortune and no poems.
4. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
(a) He gives a shout of joy.
(b) He cries.
(c) He gives a derisive snort.
(d) He laughs.
5. How does Henry reply when Sam asks him what his occupation is?
(a) Henry tells him he is a carpenter.
(b) Henry answers with several of the different jobs he has done.
(c) Henry tells him he is a protester.
(d) Henry answers that he is a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
2. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
3. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
4. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
5. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think of retirement?
2. What might be the reason for Lydian's suggestion that Henry should leave while Waldo is away in England?
3. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
4. What is the discussion between Henry and Bailey, regarding time?
5. Why is Henry in jail?
6. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
7. What advice of his own does Henry take?
8. How does Sam show that he is acting against his wishes when serving Henry with his tax bill?
9. Why does Henry think more people should be willing to go to jail?
10. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)