|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
(a) Ellen rejects him.
(b) His rowing scares Ellen.
(c) Ellen does not love John as he thought.
(d) His intensity frightens Ellen away.
2. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(b) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
(c) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
(d) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
3. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) He does not have the money.
(b) The government is corrupt.
(c) He hates paying taxes.
(d) Taxes do not help the people.
4. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
5. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
(a) Henry quitting his job.
(b) Henry proposing they protest the Mexican War.
(c) Henry moving away from Walden Pond.
(d) Henry proposes they start their own school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
2. What similarity between Henry and Waldo do John and Mother note?
3. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
4. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
5. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument takes place between Lydian and Henry, regarding his behavior?
2. How does Henry get out of jail?
3. What advice of his own does Henry take?
4. What discussion do John and Henry have regarding Ellen's interest in both brothers?
5. What does Henry say to Ellen, showing the audience that he likes her?
6. Why will Ellen not marry John?
7. Waldo asks how he should rebel. What is Henry's response? Why?
8. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
9. How does the act close?
10. What inspires Henry at the end of the play?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)