|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
(a) She actually understands Transcendentalism
(b) She comforts him.
(c) She weeps over John's coffin.
(d) She says she loves him.
2. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) To go swimming.
(b) To visit friends.
(c) For trips to town for supplies.
(d) To see his family.
3. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
(b) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(c) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
(d) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
4. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) His overcoat.
(b) His umbrella.
(c) A shadow.
(d) A post.
5. Who will be Henry's protege?
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
2. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
3. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
4. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
5. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry show affection for Lydian? What is her response?
2. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
3. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
4. What does Waldo mean when he accuses Henry of resigning from the human race?
5. Waldo marvels at Henry, and expresses his own admiration for Henry's beliefs. He refers to Henry as a "walking ethic," living proof of Transcendentalism. Why does he feel this way about Henry?
6. How is Ellen supportive of Henry at his brother's funeral?
7. What stops the war action on stage for a moment?
8. What is the cause of John's death? How does Henry react to this tragic event?
9. What does Henry say to Ellen, showing the audience that he likes her?
10. What happens after Henry gives Waldo the advice to speak out against the war?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)