|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Murdering his neighbor.
(b) Burning down a barn.
(c) Breaking and entering.
(d) Robbing a store.
2. Who will be Henry's protege?
3. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's Harvard education.
(b) Henry's desire to be isolated.
(c) Henry's private school education.
(d) Henry's nature.
4. In another area of the stage, Henry's mother is visibly upset. What does she ask Henry?
(a) Where his father is.
(b) What has happened to John.
(c) Who is with him.
(d) What he has done.
5. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
(a) Go to class.
(b) Listen to their parents.
(c) Stay inside buildings.
(d) Emulate him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
2. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
3. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
4. For what does Henry propose to work?
5. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What roles do the play's characters assume in Henry's dream?
2. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
3. What is the cause of John's death? How does Henry react to this tragic event?
4. How do Edward Henry grow closer during their time together?
5. Waldo asks how he should rebel. What is Henry's response? Why?
6. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
7. What does Henry tell Bailey about his home?
8. What does Waldo mean when he accuses Henry of resigning from the human race?
9. Why is Henry in jail?
10. How does Henry know what work needs to be done for Waldo and Lydian?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)