|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) To visit friends.
(b) To go swimming.
(c) For trips to town for supplies.
(d) To see his family.
2. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) The people outside.
(b) The jailer.
(c) The birds on the clock tower.
(d) Bailey, his cellmate.
3. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He gives a shout of joy.
(c) He gives a derisive snort.
(d) He cries.
4. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) Taxes do not help the people.
(b) The government is corrupt.
(c) He does not have the money.
(d) He hates paying taxes.
5. How does Henry reply when Sam asks him what his occupation is?
(a) Henry tells him he is a protester.
(b) Henry answers with several of the different jobs he has done.
(c) Henry tells him he is a carpenter.
(d) Henry answers that he is a writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
2. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
3. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
4. In what town is the play set?
5. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
2. What does Henry tell Waldo to do?
3. How does Henry feel about this decision?
4. How does Henry attempt to stay in jail?
5. What happens after Henry gives Waldo the advice to speak out against the war?
6. Why will Ellen not marry John?
7. What does Henry say about humanity's effect on the environment?
8. What does Henry tell Bailey about his home?
9. What is evidence that Henry's thoughts might seem backwards?
10. What discussion do John and Henry have regarding Ellen's interest in both brothers?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)