|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A species he has not seen in the area.
(b) A new species of bee.
(c) An ant hill.
(d) A beautiful flower.
2. On what do John and Henry then agree?
(a) They will begin their cult and marry as many women as possible.
(b) They will remain celibate until they are 90 and 92 years old, at which time they will both pursue Ellen.
(c) They will both get married as soon as possible to forget about Ellen.
(d) They will stay celibate for the rest of their lives.
3. Where does Henry live?
(a) On the beach.
(b) By the ocean.
(c) Downtown Concord.
(d) By Walden Pond.
4. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
(a) He is always glad when the sermon is over.
(b) He tends to fall asleep.
(c) He gets good sermon ideas from other clergymen.
(d) He becomes nervous.
5. Why will Henry not give money to the government?
(a) He does not have the money to give to the government.
(b) He is not an American.
(c) He does not like the United States.
(d) He does not approve of its actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
2. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
3. Whose nightmare of Henry being arrested has come true?
4. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
5. What does Ellen wish about Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Translate Henry's poem/prayer for Bailey. "Blessed Are the Young, for they do not read the President's speeches. Blessed Are They who never read a newspaper, for they shall see Nature and, through her, God. Blessed is Bailey, for he's a good fellow and deserves better treatment than you've been giving him even though he is a man of letters."
2. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
3. What does Edward tell his mother when he and Henry return? What is his reasoning for this?
4. How does Henry react to how Bailey handles his time in jail?
5. What does Henry say to Ellen when he sees her taking notes?
6. What is Deacon Ball's reaction to Henry's class discussion?
7. How does Henry show affection for Lydian? What is her response?
8. What do Henry and Bailey see out the cell window?
9. How does Henry know what work needs to be done for Waldo and Lydian?
10. What is the lighting like at the beginning of the first scene?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)