|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
(a) They do not agree on how Edmund should be raised.
(b) Neither really understand Transcendentalism.
(c) They are both Transcendentalists.
(d) They are very close.
2. How does Bailey feel about being in jail with Henry?
(a) He does not mind being in jail with an author.
(b) He is delighted to be in jail with an author.
(c) He is irritated by him.
(d) He hates being in jail with him.
3. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
(a) She weeps over John's coffin.
(b) She says she loves him.
(c) She actually understands Transcendentalism
(d) She comforts him.
4. What is Henry's advice when Bailey says he cannot swim?
(a) Henry tells him not to struggle with the water.
(b) Henry tells him to plug his nose when he jumps in.
(c) Henry tells him to take lessons.
(d) Henry tells him to avoid the ocean.
5. For what does Henry propose to work?
(a) A piece of Waldo's property in the woods, so that he can conduct an "experiment."
(b) A small Salary.
(c) A small garden in the back property.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
2. What does Ellen wish about Henry?
3. Whose nightmare of Henry being arrested has come true?
4. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
5. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry get out of jail?
2. Why will Ellen not marry John?
3. What is the cause of John's death? How does Henry react to this tragic event?
4. What do Henry and Bailey see out the cell window?
5. Sam brings him breakfast, and tells him that the telegraph line to Texas has been finished. What does the finished telegraph line to Texas mean?
6. What is Deacon Ball's reaction to Henry's class discussion?
7. How does Act II open?
8. How does Henry know what work needs to be done for Waldo and Lydian?
9. What argument takes place between Lydian and Henry, regarding his behavior?
10. What is the lighting like at the beginning of the first scene?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)