|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
(a) He quizzes her over her notes.
(b) He urges her to be an individual.
(c) He urges her to put the notes on note cards.
(d) He tells her to continue the hard work.
2. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is younger than any of the other students.
(c) She is an older girl and is taking notes.
(d) She is staring at him.
3. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
(b) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
(c) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(d) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
4. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Reprimand him.
(c) Cancel his courses.
(d) Report him to the School Committee.
5. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(b) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(c) He does not need any money.
(d) He will work for room and board.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
2. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
3. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
4. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
5. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry tell Waldo to do?
2. Describe Henry's negotiations for his pay for working for Waldo.
3. How does Henry become Edward's tutor?
4. Why does Henry think more people should be willing to go to jail?
5. What is the set for this play?
6. How are Henry's Sunday rituals very different from many in town?
7. What is the story Henry tells about the character Williams?
8. What does Edward tell his mother when he and Henry return? What is his reasoning for this?
9. In the play it is not know whether or not Henry stays in jail until the end of Bailey's trial. What do you believe takes place?
10. What might the flute melody represent?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)