|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
(a) There is "not someone" with him.
(b) His father is dead.
(c) He does not know what happened to John.
(d) He has "not done something."
2. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) The government is corrupt.
(b) He does not have the money.
(c) Taxes do not help the people.
(d) He hates paying taxes.
3. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
(b) He does not believe in God.
(c) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
(d) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
4. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He will work for room and board.
(b) He does not need any money.
(c) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(d) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
5. For what does Henry propose to work?
(a) A piece of Waldo's property in the woods, so that he can conduct an "experiment."
(c) A small Salary.
(d) A small garden in the back property.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
2. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
3. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
4. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
5. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry show that he cares about his brother and his brother's feelings?
2. Why does Henry encourage Williams to go to Canada? What happens to Williams?
3. Waldo asks how he should rebel. What is Henry's response? Why?
4. What is Waldo's reaction to Henry's arrest?
5. Where does Lydian send Edward and Henry?
6. Describe the scene when Sam Staples tells him he must pay his property taxes?
7. What advice of his own does Henry take?
8. What does Edward tell his mother when he and Henry return? What is his reasoning for this?
9. What roles do the play's characters assume in Henry's dream?
10. What is the discussion between Henry and Bailey, regarding time?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)