|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lydian suggest that Henry do while Waldo is away in England?
(a) He should leave.
(b) Stay with them.
(c) Find a wife.
(d) Get another job.
2. What does Henry believe is the motivation for the war in Mexico?
(a) A desire for more land for Southern slave owners.
(b) Love for the United States and the desire to spread freedom.
(c) Money and power.
(d) Control over other countries.
3. Waldo marvels at Henry, and expresses his own admiration for Henry's beliefs. How does he refer to Henry?
(a) A "living Transcendentalist."
(b) A "walking ethic."
(c) A "living, breathing prophet."
(d) A "man of his word."
4. What does Waldo ask after he accuses Henry of resigning from the human race?
(a) What would happen if everyone did so?
(b) Where do you find such inspiration?
(c) Why do not more people listen to you?
(d) How can I join you?
5. What happens when Henry urges him to run away?
(a) He hides.
(b) He refuses to leave Henry.
(c) All the soldiers start to shoot at him.
(d) He refuses to leave, so he may fight in the battle.
6. What does Henry give Williams?
(a) Some bread.
(b) A book.
(c) A bed.
7. What has Henry's Aunt Louisa done?
(a) Told Sam to let Henry go.
(b) Come to console Henry's mother.
(c) Paid his tax bill.
(d) Come to visit.
8. What happens as Williams darts offstage?
(a) He is followed by racist epithets.
(b) He begins shooting his rifle.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He says he's running to Walden Pond.
9. Why does Henry make up a poem/prayer for Bailey?
(a) He thinks it might cheer Bailey up.
(b) He is making a statement about his beliefs.
(c) He is trying to be funny.
(d) Bailey asks him for help praying.
10. What does Edward do as he gives his mother the berries?
(a) Tells her that he loves berries.
(b) Tells her how wonderful his day was.
(c) Tells her that he wants Henry to be his father.
(d) Tells her to make a pie.
11. What does Henry assure Williams?
(a) He will not get captured.
(b) He may stay at Walden Pond.
(c) He is free.
(d) He is still a slave.
12. With what does Henry tell Bailey he prays?
(a) The water.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A flute.
13. Sam says he cannot make that happen. What does Henry do?
(a) He holds onto Bailey.
(b) He lies on his cot to wait.
(c) He locks his cell door.
(d) He leaves.
14. What has brought violence to Concord?
(a) Waldo's speeches.
(b) Henry's jail time.
(c) Williams' shooting.
(d) The upset citizens of Concord.
15. Waldo asks whether he should start a violent rebellion. How does Henry reply?
(a) He insists Waldo should stop violence.
(b) He insists violence is the only solution.
(c) He insists Waldo start a war.
(d) He insists violence is not always the answer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry suggest to Bailey?
2. When does Henry comfort Edward with the knowledge that he has now planted new Huckleberry plants?
3. About what is Henry's poem/prayer?
4. What has Henry made for the chickens?
5. What does Lydian insist that Henry must do?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)