|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry change his tactics with Sam?
(a) He ties himself to the bed.
(b) He insists on staying until Bailey goes to trial or is released.
(c) He tells Sam to let Bailey go instead.
(d) He threatens Sam's life.
2. Sam brings him breakfast, and tells Henry what?
(a) The war in Mexico has begun.
(b) The war in Mexico has ended.
(c) Henry's mother will bail him out.
(d) The telegraph line to Texas has been finished.
3. Why can Henry not choose any of the young women Lydian suggests?
(a) He considers Lydian a wife.
(b) He already is married.
(c) He is not interested in any of them.
(d) Nature is his mother-in-law.
4. What happens as Williams darts offstage?
(a) He is followed by racist epithets.
(b) He says he's running to Walden Pond.
(c) He begins shooting his rifle.
(d) He is shot.
5. What name does Williams adopts?
(a) Williams Henry.
(b) Williams Thoreau.
(c) Walden Williams.
(d) Henry Williams.
6. Waldo marvels at Henry, and expresses his own admiration for Henry's beliefs. How does he refer to Henry?
(a) A "living, breathing prophet."
(b) A "walking ethic."
(c) A "man of his word."
(d) A "living Transcendentalist."
7. How does Waldo respond to the news of Williams?
(a) he expresses excitement for his escape to Canada.
(b) He expresses sympathy about Williams' death.
(c) He expresses shock about Williams' capture.
(d) He expresses happiness for his freedom.
8. With what does Henry tell Bailey he prays?
(a) A flute.
(b) A Bible.
(d) The water.
9. What does Lydian suggest that Henry do while Waldo is away in England?
(a) Stay with them.
(b) Find a wife.
(c) He should leave.
(d) Get another job.
10. Sergeant Sam wakes the sleeping Henry and gives him what?
(a) A note.
(b) His breakfast.
(c) A rifle.
(d) The key to the jail cell.
11. What does Edward do as he gives his mother the berries?
(a) Tells her that he wants Henry to be his father.
(b) Tells her how wonderful his day was.
(c) Tells her to make a pie.
(d) Tells her that he loves berries.
12. About what is Henry's poem/prayer?
(a) It has to do with renewal of faith and hope in God.
(b) It has to do with protecting Bailey in his time of need.
(c) It has more to do with his own beliefs than with Bailey's legal troubles.
(d) It has to do with confession and forgiveness.
13. What has Henry made for the chickens?
(a) A chicken coop, so they stay out of Lydian's roses.
(b) Gloves to keep them from scratching up Lydian's roses.
(c) A place to be fed, so they stay out of Lydians's roses.
(d) A new nest for their eggs, so they do not roost in Lydian's roses.
14. When does Henry comfort Edward with the knowledge that he has now planted new Huckleberry plants?
(a) Edward cannot find any berries.
(b) Edward has dropped a few berries.
(c) Edward eats some of the berries.
(d) Edward spills his full basket of berries.
15. What happens when Henry urges him to run away?
(a) All the soldiers start to shoot at him.
(b) He refuses to leave, so he may fight in the battle.
(c) He refuses to leave Henry.
(d) He hides.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry rings the town bell, and tells everyone that Waldo will be giving a speech. Why does Waldo not appear?
2. What does Waldo assert about the "majority rules" form of government?
3. How does Williams appear?
4. Edward is a young drummer boy, and Sam Staples is a Sergeant. What does Bailey become?
5. Besides suggesting that Henry would be a better father, what else does Edward suggest to his mother?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)