|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Williams adopts?
(a) Walden Williams.
(b) Henry Williams.
(c) Williams Henry.
(d) Williams Thoreau.
2. What is happening to Henry in this scene?
(a) He has sold his soul to the devil.
(b) He is caught in the tornado.
(c) His nightmare of the war is being enacted.
(d) He and Bailey are caught in a fire.
3. How do the stage directions describe Henry's discussion of Waldo' virtues?
(a) A "mixture of jealousy and hate."
(b) A "mixture of fear and loathing."
(c) A "mixture of love and devotion."
(d) A "mixture of admiration and contempt."
4. About what is Henry's poem/prayer?
(a) It has to do with confession and forgiveness.
(b) It has more to do with his own beliefs than with Bailey's legal troubles.
(c) It has to do with renewal of faith and hope in God.
(d) It has to do with protecting Bailey in his time of need.
5. How does the scene restart?
(a) It does not restart.
(c) In slow motion.
6. After Henry deals with the chicken problem, how does Lydian respond to this gesture?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She urges him to get married.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She urges him to stay with them.
7. Where does Williams want to stay?
(d) Wherever Henry is.
8. What does Henry think about lawyers?
(a) They can useful.
(b) They are devils.
(c) They are sneaky.
(d) They are mandatory for someone in jail.
9. Waldo asks whether he should start a violent rebellion. How does Henry reply?
(a) He insists violence is the only solution.
(b) He insists Waldo start a war.
(c) He insists Waldo should stop violence.
(d) He insists violence is not always the answer.
10. Henry and Lydian briefly discuss love and loneliness. What comes between them?
(a) Some signs of tension.
(b) Some signs of awkwardness.
11. According to Henry, why is the government afraid of the choice he has made?
(a) They want his money.
(b) They do not want a civil war.
(c) It may encourage others to do the same.
(d) They do not prison escapees.
12. What does Henry suggest to Bailey?
(a) Make a run for it.
(b) Sell your soul to the devil, then you will have a good lawyer.
(c) Find someone who cares.
(d) He is born in a more liberal age, or that he try prayer.
13. How does Sam respond when Henry says he refuses to leave?
(a) He tells him it's his choice if he stays.
(b) He tells him he will have to speak with the judge.
(c) He tells him that he may stay with Bailey.
(d) He tells him that he must leave.
14. How does Henry respond when Williams asks why he lives in slave-like poverty?
(a) He loves the whimsy of the outdoors and chose to marry it.
(b) He has no money for a nicer home.
(c) He inherited the property from his father.
(d) He has chosen to live outside of society and has married his bean patch.
15. Sergeant Sam wakes the sleeping Henry and gives him what?
(a) His breakfast.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A note.
(d) The key to the jail cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry feel when he shouts with no response and tries to ring the bell, but no sound emerges?
2. What does Henry recognizes about his devotion to Waldo?
3. How does Williams appear?
4. What has Henry made for the chickens?
5. What does Henry believe is the motivation for the war in Mexico?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)