|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Henry tell Bailey he prays?
(a) A Bible.
(c) A flute.
(d) The water.
2. How does Henry respond when Williams asks why he lives in slave-like poverty?
(a) He has no money for a nicer home.
(b) He inherited the property from his father.
(c) He loves the whimsy of the outdoors and chose to marry it.
(d) He has chosen to live outside of society and has married his bean patch.
3. How does Williams appear?
(a) Dressed as an American soldier.
(b) Dressed as a Mexican soldier.
(c) Dressed as a slave.
(d) Dressed as Abraham Lincoln.
4. According to Henry, why is the government afraid of the choice he has made?
(a) It may encourage others to do the same.
(b) They do not prison escapees.
(c) They do not want a civil war.
(d) They want his money.
5. When is there sexual tension between Lydian and Henry?
(a) When Edward says he wants Henry to be is father.
(b) When Henry asks her to marry him.
(c) When she sees the gift he made her.
(d) When she asks if he is lonely, he turns the question back on her.
6. When Henry refuses to assault the enemy, how does his mother respond?
(a) She praises him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She argues with him.
(d) She berates him.
7. What does Lydian insist that Henry must do?
(a) Follow his own path.
(b) Learn to conform.
(c) Forgive Waldo.
(d) Get married.
8. How does Sam respond when Henry says he refuses to leave?
(a) He tells him he will have to speak with the judge.
(b) He tells him it's his choice if he stays.
(c) He tells him that he may stay with Bailey.
(d) He tells him that he must leave.
9. Why can Henry not choose any of the young women Lydian suggests?
(a) He is not interested in any of them.
(b) He already is married.
(c) He considers Lydian a wife.
(d) Nature is his mother-in-law.
10. When does Henry comfort Edward with the knowledge that he has now planted new Huckleberry plants?
(a) Edward eats some of the berries.
(b) Edward cannot find any berries.
(c) Edward spills his full basket of berries.
(d) Edward has dropped a few berries.
11. Lydian notes that Waldo loves Henry. What does she ask Henry?
(a) Why Henry hurts Waldo.
(b) If Henry loves Waldo.
(c) What Waldo can do for Henry.
(d) What Henry can do for Waldo.
12. Henry praises the speaker, and calls him by what name?
(a) My brother.
(b) Congressman Lincoln from Illinois.
(c) My son.
(d) President Polk.
13. Where must Waldo go to speak out against injustice?
(a) Out of his comfort zone.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) In Washington, D.C.
(d) In his own heart.
14. Waldo asks whether he should start a violent rebellion. How does Henry reply?
(a) He insists Waldo start a war.
(b) He insists violence is not always the answer.
(c) He insists violence is the only solution.
(d) He insists Waldo should stop violence.
15. About what is Williams worried?
(a) Henry will not be his friend.
(b) Henry will turn him in.
(c) The authorities will catch him at Walden Pond.
(d) Henry will kick him out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry reacts violently against Lydian's idea. What does he do?
2. Why does Henry make up a poem/prayer for Bailey?
3. What is happening to Henry in this scene?
4. Edward is a young drummer boy, and Sam Staples is a Sergeant. What does Bailey become?
5. What does Henry assure Williams?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)