|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry give Williams?
(a) Some bread.
(b) A bed.
(c) A book.
2. What happens as Williams darts offstage?
(a) He says he's running to Walden Pond.
(b) He is followed by racist epithets.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He begins shooting his rifle.
3. How does Henry describe berry picking?
(a) Berry patch hunting.
(b) Berry berry, quite contrary.
(c) Huckleberry Finn hunting.
(d) Huckleberry hunting.
4. What does Williams want to call himself?
(a) Walden's Williams.
(b) Williams at Waldon Pond.
(c) Mr. Henry's Slave Williams.
(d) Mr. Henry's Williams.
5. The war resumes in full speed with what?
(a) Henry leading the fight.
(b) Violent bursts of light and noise.
(c) Waldo leading the army.
(d) The Mexicans on the run.
6. How do the stage directions describe Henry's discussion of Waldo' virtues?
(a) A "mixture of jealousy and hate."
(b) A "mixture of admiration and contempt."
(c) A "mixture of love and devotion."
(d) A "mixture of fear and loathing."
7. About what is Henry's soliloquy?
8. How does the play close?
(a) Henry refuses to leave.
(b) Henry is sitting on his cot by Bailey.
(c) Henry experiencing new strength and striding confidently off stage.
(d) Henry leaves and goes back to his life by Walden Pond.
9. Lydian notes that Waldo loves Henry. What does she ask Henry?
(a) If Henry loves Waldo.
(b) What Henry can do for Waldo.
(c) Why Henry hurts Waldo.
(d) What Waldo can do for Henry.
10. Sam says he cannot make that happen. What does Henry do?
(a) He lies on his cot to wait.
(b) He locks his cell door.
(c) He holds onto Bailey.
(d) He leaves.
11. What does Henry recognizes about his devotion to Waldo?
(a) It has made a solid friendship.
(b) It has stripped away some of his self.
(c) It has given him the strength to fight injustice.
(d) It has helped shape his own beliefs.
12. What happens to Henry when he tries to object to the President?
(a) No sound comes from his mouth.
(b) Waldo tells him to stop talking.
(c) He is shot and wounded.
(d) A loud noise covers his words.
13. What does Lydian say while insisting to Henry what he must do?
(a) "A wife is a treasure!"
(b) "Allow your heart to lead the way!"
(c) "To get along, you have to go along!"
(d) "To forgive, means to forget!"
14. According to Henry, why is the government afraid of the choice he has made?
(a) They want his money.
(b) They do not prison escapees.
(c) They do not want a civil war.
(d) It may encourage others to do the same.
15. Henry objects to Waldo not appearing. How does Lydian feel?
(a) Torn between sharing Henry's opinions and loyalty to Waldo.
(b) Unsure whether she still loves Waldo or actually loves Henry.
(c) Reassured that Waldo is not changing his stand on freedom.
(d) Embarrassed by Waldo's cowardly actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam respond when Henry says he refuses to leave?
2. Why is Henry disappointed in Emerson?
3. About what is Henry's poem/prayer?
4. With what does Henry tell Bailey he prays?
5. What pleases Henry about Williams?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)