|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lydian notes that Waldo loves Henry. What does she ask Henry?
(a) What Waldo can do for Henry.
(b) If Henry loves Waldo.
(c) What Henry can do for Waldo.
(d) Why Henry hurts Waldo.
2. Henry praises the speaker, and calls him by what name?
(a) My son.
(b) President Polk.
(c) Congressman Lincoln from Illinois.
(d) My brother.
3. What does Sergeant Sam urge the troops to do?
(a) Run for their lives.
(b) Form a line and start firing.
(c) Duck and cover.
(d) Build a trench.
4. How does the play close?
(a) Henry refuses to leave.
(b) Henry experiencing new strength and striding confidently off stage.
(c) Henry is sitting on his cot by Bailey.
(d) Henry leaves and goes back to his life by Walden Pond.
5. Waldo asks whether he should start a violent rebellion. How does Henry reply?
(a) He insists Waldo start a war.
(b) He insists violence is the only solution.
(c) He insists Waldo should stop violence.
(d) He insists violence is not always the answer.
6. Waldo marvels at Henry, and expresses his own admiration for Henry's beliefs. How does he refer to Henry?
(a) A "man of his word."
(b) A "walking ethic."
(c) A "living, breathing prophet."
(d) A "living Transcendentalist."
7. Where must Waldo go to speak out against injustice?
(a) In his own heart.
(b) In Washington, D.C.
(c) Out of his comfort zone.
(d) At the courthouse.
8. What does Lydian insist that Henry must do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Learn to conform.
(c) Forgive Waldo.
(d) Follow his own path.
9. The war resumes in full speed with what?
(a) Violent bursts of light and noise.
(b) Henry leading the fight.
(c) The Mexicans on the run.
(d) Waldo leading the army.
10. As a child what does Henry find berry picking better than?
(a) Playing with his brother.
(b) Going to school.
(c) Staying in the house.
(d) Just eating the pudding his mother made from them.
11. Why can Henry not choose any of the young women Lydian suggests?
(a) He already is married.
(b) He is not interested in any of them.
(c) Nature is his mother-in-law.
(d) He considers Lydian a wife.
12. What has brought violence to Concord?
(a) Waldo's speeches.
(b) The upset citizens of Concord.
(c) Williams' shooting.
(d) Henry's jail time.
13. How does Henry describe berry picking?
(a) Berry patch hunting.
(b) Huckleberry hunting.
(c) Huckleberry Finn hunting.
(d) Berry berry, quite contrary.
14. Besides suggesting that Henry would be a better father, what else does Edward suggest to his mother?
(a) Henry would be a better cook too.
(b) Henry would be a better husband for her.
(c) Henry could make repairs.
(d) Henry would help around the house.
15. As who does Waldo appear?
(a) The President.
(b) A General.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A Mexican soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry tell Waldo that he has to do, besides cast a vote in an election?
2. What does Edward do as he gives his mother the berries?
3. What does Henry assure Williams?
4. When does Henry comfort Edward with the knowledge that he has now planted new Huckleberry plants?
5. What happens when Henry urges him to run away?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)