|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what are men slaves, according to Henry?
(c) Their wives.
(d) One another.
2. What is Bailey doing as Henry speaks to him?
(c) Playing cards.
3. What does Henry give Williams?
(a) A book.
(c) Some bread.
(d) A bed.
4. Edward is so pleased. What does he wish?
(a) John was his brother.
(b) John was his father.
(c) Henry was his brother.
(d) Henry was his father.
5. The scene fades and Sam is doing what?
(a) Packing Henry's belongings.
(b) Yelling at Henry.
(c) Waking Henry up from his dream.
(d) Calling for help.
6. What does Edward do as he gives his mother the berries?
(a) Tells her that he loves berries.
(b) Tells her how wonderful his day was.
(c) Tells her to make a pie.
(d) Tells her that he wants Henry to be his father.
7. What happens as Williams darts offstage?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is followed by racist epithets.
(c) He begins shooting his rifle.
(d) He says he's running to Walden Pond.
8. Sergeant Sam wakes the sleeping Henry and gives him what?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A note.
(c) The key to the jail cell.
(d) His breakfast.
9. How does Sam respond when Henry says he refuses to leave?
(a) He tells him it's his choice if he stays.
(b) He tells him that he must leave.
(c) He tells him that he may stay with Bailey.
(d) He tells him he will have to speak with the judge.
10. What is happening to Henry in this scene?
(a) He and Bailey are caught in a fire.
(b) He has sold his soul to the devil.
(c) His nightmare of the war is being enacted.
(d) He is caught in the tornado.
11. How do the stage directions describe Henry's discussion of Waldo' virtues?
(a) A "mixture of love and devotion."
(b) A "mixture of admiration and contempt."
(c) A "mixture of fear and loathing."
(d) A "mixture of jealousy and hate."
12. What does Lydian say while insisting to Henry what he must do?
(a) "To forgive, means to forget!"
(b) "To get along, you have to go along!"
(c) "A wife is a treasure!"
(d) "Allow your heart to lead the way!"
13. About what is Henry's soliloquy?
14. How does the play close?
(a) Henry refuses to leave.
(b) Henry leaves and goes back to his life by Walden Pond.
(c) Henry is sitting on his cot by Bailey.
(d) Henry experiencing new strength and striding confidently off stage.
15. How does Henry change his tactics with Sam?
(a) He threatens Sam's life.
(b) He ties himself to the bed.
(c) He tells Sam to let Bailey go instead.
(d) He insists on staying until Bailey goes to trial or is released.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Williams adopts?
2. What does Henry think about lawyers?
3. What is Henry doing when Williams, an escaped slave, appears?
4. How does Waldo respond to the news of Williams?
5. What does Henry tell Waldo that he has to do, besides cast a vote in an election?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)