|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what are men slaves, according to Henry?
(c) One another.
(d) Their wives.
2. What advice does Henry give him when Waldo asks him what he thinks he should do?
(a) Henry tells him to run for mayor.
(b) Henry tells him to speak out against the war.
(c) Henry tells him to start his own war.
(d) Henry tells him to join him in jail.
3. Waldo marvels at Henry, and expresses his own admiration for Henry's beliefs. How does he refer to Henry?
(a) A "living, breathing prophet."
(b) A "living Transcendentalist."
(c) A "man of his word."
(d) A "walking ethic."
4. What does Henry believe is the motivation for the war in Mexico?
(a) A desire for more land for Southern slave owners.
(b) Money and power.
(c) Control over other countries.
(d) Love for the United States and the desire to spread freedom.
5. Besides suggesting that Henry would be a better father, what else does Edward suggest to his mother?
(a) Henry would be a better cook too.
(b) Henry would be a better husband for her.
(c) Henry could make repairs.
(d) Henry would help around the house.
6. Henry objects to Sergeant Sam, but what happens?
(a) He eats his breakfast anyway.
(b) He lets himself out of the cell.
(c) He is forced to participate.
(d) He reads the note.
7. How is Bailey feeling about his trial?
(a) He is confident in his aquittal.
(b) He is clearly panicked.
(c) He is fairly calm.
(d) He is a little worried.
8. The scene fades and Sam is doing what?
(a) Packing Henry's belongings.
(b) Calling for help.
(c) Yelling at Henry.
(d) Waking Henry up from his dream.
9. Why is Henry disappointed in Emerson?
(a) His idol fights for freedom but believes in slavery.
(b) His idol does not want everyone to be free.
(c) His idol has not taken a stand in the battle against slavery.
(d) His idol does not stand for the same beliefs as him.
10. What does Lydian say while insisting to Henry what he must do?
(a) "To forgive, means to forget!"
(b) "To get along, you have to go along!"
(c) "Allow your heart to lead the way!"
(d) "A wife is a treasure!"
11. Why does Edward suggest that Henry would be a better father?
(a) His father is often away from the house.
(b) Henry is nicer than his own father.
(c) His father would not play with him like Henry does.
(d) Henry is more fun than his own father.
12. What does Henry assure Williams?
(a) He is free.
(b) He is still a slave.
(c) He may stay at Walden Pond.
(d) He will not get captured.
13. What does Henry suggest to Bailey?
(a) Sell your soul to the devil, then you will have a good lawyer.
(b) Make a run for it.
(c) He is born in a more liberal age, or that he try prayer.
(d) Find someone who cares.
14. With what does Henry tell Bailey he prays?
(a) A Bible.
(b) The water.
(c) A flute.
15. What does Williams do when he sees Henry?
(a) He runs from him.
(b) He attacks him.
(c) He tries to hide from him.
(d) He hugs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lydian accuses him of trying to make Waldo something he is not, and urges Henry to do what?
2. Henry and Lydian briefly discuss love and loneliness. What comes between them?
3. What happens to Henry when he tries to object to the President?
4. How does Henry describe berry picking?
5. Why does Henry wail in grief?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)