|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Henry, why is the government afraid of the choice he has made?
(a) It may encourage others to do the same.
(b) They do not prison escapees.
(c) They want his money.
(d) They do not want a civil war.
2. As a child what does Henry find berry picking better than?
(a) Just eating the pudding his mother made from them.
(b) Playing with his brother.
(c) Staying in the house.
(d) Going to school.
3. What does Henry assure Williams?
(a) He will not get captured.
(b) He may stay at Walden Pond.
(c) He is still a slave.
(d) He is free.
4. What pleases Henry about Williams?
(a) Williams will be staying at Walden Pond to help him.
(b) Williams is a kind man.
(c) Williams is going back into slavery.
(d) Williams tells him of his desire to escape slavery.
5. When is there sexual tension between Lydian and Henry?
(a) When Edward says he wants Henry to be is father.
(b) When Henry asks her to marry him.
(c) When she sees the gift he made her.
(d) When she asks if he is lonely, he turns the question back on her.
6. Why does Henry make up a poem/prayer for Bailey?
(a) He thinks it might cheer Bailey up.
(b) Bailey asks him for help praying.
(c) He is making a statement about his beliefs.
(d) He is trying to be funny.
7. How does Henry react when Waldo tells him they need to work within the laws to fight the war?
(a) He is disgusted and goes to leave.
(b) He agrees and changes his actions.
(c) He and Waldo begin a plan to fight the war in a more legal way.
(d) He is shocked to hear Waldo say this.
8. Where must Waldo go to speak out against injustice?
(a) In his own heart.
(b) In Washington, D.C.
(c) Out of his comfort zone.
(d) At the courthouse.
9. Edward is a young drummer boy, and Sam Staples is a Sergeant. What does Bailey become?
(a) A General.
(b) The President.
(c) A commanding officer.
(d) A soldier.
10. What has Henry made for the chickens?
(a) A chicken coop, so they stay out of Lydian's roses.
(b) A place to be fed, so they stay out of Lydians's roses.
(c) Gloves to keep them from scratching up Lydian's roses.
(d) A new nest for their eggs, so they do not roost in Lydian's roses.
11. How does Henry describe berry picking?
(a) Huckleberry Finn hunting.
(b) Huckleberry hunting.
(c) Berry patch hunting.
(d) Berry berry, quite contrary.
12. What does Henry suggest to Bailey?
(a) He is born in a more liberal age, or that he try prayer.
(b) Sell your soul to the devil, then you will have a good lawyer.
(c) Find someone who cares.
(d) Make a run for it.
13. Sam brings him breakfast, and tells Henry what?
(a) The war in Mexico has begun.
(b) The war in Mexico has ended.
(c) The telegraph line to Texas has been finished.
(d) Henry's mother will bail him out.
14. What does Lydian say while insisting to Henry what he must do?
(a) "A wife is a treasure!"
(b) "To get along, you have to go along!"
(c) "Allow your heart to lead the way!"
(d) "To forgive, means to forget!"
15. Edward is so pleased. What does he wish?
(a) John was his father.
(b) Henry was his brother.
(c) John was his brother.
(d) Henry was his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Henry give him when Waldo asks him what he thinks he should do?
2. What does Henry believe is the motivation for the war in Mexico?
3. What does Henry say Waldo should use to effect change?
4. What does Lydian insist that Henry must do?
5. What does Williams want to call himself?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)