|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
(a) He has changed.
(b) He is who he has always been.
(c) He is the same.
(d) He is himself.
2. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
(a) To do so would make him a murderer.
(b) He likes Mexico.
(c) He does not have the money.
(d) He does not like taxes.
3. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
(a) Having an odd repairperson.
(b) Having a Transcendentalist repairperson.
(c) Having a Harvard-educated repairperson.
(d) Having a outspoken repairperson.
4. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
(a) Henry resigns from teaching, as Waldo resigns as a Unitarian Minister.
(b) Henry tells his students he must follow the curriculum, as Waldo tells the congregation he will preach to the Unitarian principles.
(c) Henry teaches new courses and Waldo speaks at a different Unitarian Church.
(d) Henry argues with Ball, as Waldo argues with his wife.
5. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
(a) She is staring at him.
(b) She is an older girl and is taking notes.
(c) She is younger than any of the other students.
(d) She is beautiful.
6. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
(a) Long Island Sound.
(b) A school.
(c) Walden Pond.
(d) A jail cell in the center of the stage.
7. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) Henry's children will not be strange.
(b) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(c) He will not become more strange.
(d) He will straighten out.
8. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
(a) Henry is sneaking around in the dark.
(b) Henry takes off one shoe.
(c) Henry is stumbling around.
(d) Henry is arguing with the constable.
9. In what town is the play set?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Concord, Massachusetts.
(c) East Hampton, New York.
(d) Providence, Rhode Island.
10. What occupation does Sam mark?
11. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) A shadow.
(b) A post.
(c) His umbrella.
(d) His overcoat.
12. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
(a) Be picky when choosing a book to read.
(b) Read as many books as possible.
(c) Write books.
(d) Find books instead of the other way around.
13. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
(a) Talking to Sam.
(b) Reading a book.
(d) Practicing writing his name.
14. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
15. To what does Henry compare time?
(a) To sand.
(b) To a road.
(c) To the sun.
(d) To a river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
2. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
3. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
4. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
5. Where does Henry live?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)