|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
(a) A boat ride.
(b) A picnic.
(c) A walk.
(d) A swim.
2. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
(a) Waldo's lectures.
(b) The lab courses.
(d) The weekends.
3. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He does not need any money.
(b) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(c) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(d) He will work for room and board.
4. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
(b) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
(c) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(d) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
5. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
(a) A Roman emperor giving away gold coins
(b) An old college professor.
(c) A Unitarian preacher.
(d) The President of the United States.
6. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
(a) He does not have the money.
(b) He likes Mexico.
(c) He does not like taxes.
(d) To do so would make him a murderer.
7. What occupation does Sam mark?
8. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Cast conformity behind you."
(b) "Be free to be yourself."
(c) "Follow the yellow brick road."
(d) "Follow your own path."
9. Where does Henry live?
(a) By Walden Pond.
(b) By the ocean.
(c) Downtown Concord.
(d) On the beach.
10. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
(a) He is the same.
(b) He is who he has always been.
(c) He is himself.
(d) He has changed.
11. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) To go swimming.
(b) To see his family.
(c) For trips to town for supplies.
(d) To visit friends.
12. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Robbing a store.
(b) Murdering his neighbor.
(c) Breaking and entering.
(d) Burning down a barn.
13. What does Ellen wish about Henry?
(a) She wishes Henry had proposed instead of John.
(b) She wishes Henry would help John get over her.
(c) She wishes Henry would have proposed so that she could refuse him also.
(d) She wishes Henry had not introduced her to John.
14. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
(a) Neither really understand Transcendentalism.
(b) They are very close.
(c) They do not agree on how Edmund should be raised.
(d) They are both Transcendentalists.
15. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
(b) They both like Ellen.
(c) They want many wives.
(d) They are considering creating their own cult.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
2. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
3. Who will be Henry's protege?
4. What does Henry tell Waldo and Lydian about what must be done?
5. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)