|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) Henry's children will not be strange.
(b) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(c) He will not become more strange.
(d) He will straighten out.
2. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
(a) So that he will not write books.
(b) So he will get sympathy.
(c) So he will stay in jail.
(d) So that he will not have to pay for an education.
3. Whose nightmare of Henry being arrested has come true?
(b) His father's.
(c) His mother's.
(d) His brother's.
4. Henry replies that he likes the way the alphabet sounds and feels when read backwards. Why does he think that things should be mixed up?
(a) To make the alphabet less linear and more human.
(b) To make the alphabet more exciting.
(c) It would be more fun that way.
(d) It would be very tricky for everyone to remember.
5. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's nature.
(b) Henry's desire to be isolated.
(c) Henry's Harvard education.
(d) Henry's private school education.
6. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
(a) he has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not care for Henry.
(b) He is sending Edmund to boarding school to get a better education.
(c) He has enterd Edmund into the school because he is a Transcedentalist.
(d) He has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not approve of Transcendentalism.
7. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) A post.
(b) His overcoat.
(c) His umbrella.
(d) A shadow.
8. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
(a) It will get you out of jail faster.
(b) It is safer.
(c) It is the right thing to do.
(d) It can suffocate you.
9. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Be free to be yourself."
(b) "Follow your own path."
(c) "Cast conformity behind you."
(d) "Follow the yellow brick road."
10. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their parents and older brother.
(b) Their parents and aunt.
(c) Their parents and uncle.
(d) Their father and mother.
11. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
(c) The books.
(d) Their teacher.
12. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
(a) He is the same.
(b) He is who he has always been.
(c) He has changed.
(d) He is himself.
13. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Murdering his neighbor.
(b) Robbing a store.
(c) Breaking and entering.
(d) Burning down a barn.
14. Henry agrees to take her to shore if she will do what?
(a) Marry John.
(b) Go to church with John.
(c) Go to church with him.
(d) Marry him.
15. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
(a) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes more white.
(b) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a bright yellow.
(c) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes warmer.
(d) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a stronger hue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
2. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
3. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
4. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
5. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)