Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
(a) Having a outspoken repairperson.
(b) Having a Harvard-educated repairperson.
(c) Having an odd repairperson.
(d) Having a Transcendentalist repairperson.
2. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
(a) Waldo wonders where Henry is and ends up at the jail.
(b) Lydian brings Waldo a note.
(c) Waldo hears the news from a neighbor.
(d) Lydian hears it at the market and tells Waldo.
3. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
(a) He is not following the curriculum.
(b) There are girls in the course.
(c) The students do not address him as "Sir."
(d) Matters of theology should be left to religious leaders.
4. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(b) He will not become more strange.
(c) He will straighten out.
(d) Henry's children will not be strange.
5. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
(a) By thinking for herself.
(b) Do not fall in love.
(c) Live at home.
(d) Stay young.
6. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) Bailey, his cellmate.
(b) The birds on the clock tower.
(c) The jailer.
(d) The people outside.
7. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
(a) He does not have the money.
(b) He does not like taxes.
(c) He likes Mexico.
(d) To do so would make him a murderer.
8. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
(a) People do not take as many years of retirement.
(b) He is a workaholic.
(c) He does not want to think about growing old.
(d) People work during the best part of their lives so they can relax during their declining years.
9. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their parents and uncle.
(b) Their parents and aunt.
(c) Their parents and older brother.
(d) Their father and mother.
10. When Waldo offers money, how does Henry respond?
(a) He readily accepts his offer.
(b) He want to negotiate a salary.
(c) He wants to be paid in kind.
(d) He has already been paid by being able to listen to his mentor's lectures.
11. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
(a) Cancel his courses.
(b) Fire him.
(c) Reprimand him.
(d) Report him to the School Committee.
12. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
(a) He dies wealthy and a poet.
(b) He never earns a fortune.
(c) He dies on his way to India.
(d) He dies with a huge fortune and no poems.
13. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
(a) She is the only girl.
(b) She is failing the course.
(c) She has not paid tuition.
(d) Her father does not want her in the school.
14. Why does Henry note that it is good that men do not know how to fly?
(a) They would hurt the birds in the sky.
(b) If they did they would damage and dirty the clouds and the air.
(c) They would run into one another in the air.
(d) They would dive to earth.
15. Where does Henry live?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Downtown Concord.
(c) By the ocean.
(d) By Walden Pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Sam mark?
2. What does Henry offer to Waldo and Lydian?
3. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
4. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
5. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)