|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
(b) He does not believe in God.
(c) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
(d) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
2. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
(a) He gives a shout of joy.
(b) He gives a derisive snort.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He cries.
3. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
(a) The scale of the Mexican War.
(b) A small scale.
(c) The scale of the Civil War.
(d) The scale of the American Revolution.
4. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
(a) His cellmate, Bailey.
(b) His brother, John.
(c) His friend, Waldo.
(d) The guard, Sam.
5. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
(a) He has been feeding plants with manure.
(b) He has been feeding his face.
(c) He has been feeding his soul in nature.
(d) He has been feeding the birds.
6. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
(a) So he will get sympathy.
(b) So that he will not write books.
(c) So that he will not have to pay for an education.
(d) So he will stay in jail.
7. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
(b) They want many wives.
(c) They are considering creating their own cult.
(d) They both like Ellen.
8. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
(b) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(c) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
(d) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
9. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
(a) Henry takes off one shoe.
(b) Henry is arguing with the constable.
(c) Henry is stumbling around.
(d) Henry is sneaking around in the dark.
10. Why will Henry not give money to the government?
(a) He does not approve of its actions.
(b) He does not have the money to give to the government.
(c) He does not like the United States.
(d) He is not an American.
11. Why does Henry note that it is good that men do not know how to fly?
(a) They would dive to earth.
(b) They would hurt the birds in the sky.
(c) They would run into one another in the air.
(d) If they did they would damage and dirty the clouds and the air.
12. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
(a) Having a Harvard-educated repairperson.
(b) Having an odd repairperson.
(c) Having a outspoken repairperson.
(d) Having a Transcendentalist repairperson.
13. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
(a) She weeps over John's coffin.
(b) She comforts him.
(c) She actually understands Transcendentalism
(d) She says she loves him.
14. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
(a) College professors.
(b) Roman emperors.
(c) His students.
(d) The members of his congregation.
15. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
(a) He finally tells her that he loves her.
(b) He is afraid of her father.
(c) He has trouble rowing the boat.
(d) He wants to tell her about John.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
2. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
3. How does Bailey feel about being in jail with Henry?
4. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
5. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)