|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In another area of the stage, Henry's mother is visibly upset. What does she ask Henry?
(a) Where his father is.
(b) What he has done.
(c) Who is with him.
(d) What has happened to John.
2. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
(a) A boat ride.
(b) A picnic.
(c) A walk.
(d) A swim.
3. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
(a) Henry teaches new courses and Waldo speaks at a different Unitarian Church.
(b) Henry tells his students he must follow the curriculum, as Waldo tells the congregation he will preach to the Unitarian principles.
(c) Henry argues with Ball, as Waldo argues with his wife.
(d) Henry resigns from teaching, as Waldo resigns as a Unitarian Minister.
4. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
(a) He is not following the curriculum.
(b) There are girls in the course.
(c) Matters of theology should be left to religious leaders.
(d) The students do not address him as "Sir."
5. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A new species of bee.
(b) A beautiful flower.
(c) A species he has not seen in the area.
(d) An ant hill.
6. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
(a) Go to class.
(b) Listen to their parents.
(c) Emulate him.
(d) Stay inside buildings.
7. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
(a) Having an odd repairperson.
(b) Having a outspoken repairperson.
(c) Having a Transcendentalist repairperson.
(d) Having a Harvard-educated repairperson.
8. Who will be Henry's protege?
9. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
(a) She comforts him.
(b) She actually understands Transcendentalism
(c) She weeps over John's coffin.
(d) She says she loves him.
10. What is Henry's advice when Bailey says he cannot swim?
(a) Henry tells him to plug his nose when he jumps in.
(b) Henry tells him not to struggle with the water.
(c) Henry tells him to avoid the ocean.
(d) Henry tells him to take lessons.
11. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
(a) Milk and gets drunk on exercising.
(b) Water and gets drunk on love.
(c) The air and gets drunk from nature.
(d) Juice and gets drunk from the wilderness.
12. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
(a) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes more white.
(b) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes warmer.
(c) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a stronger hue.
(d) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a bright yellow.
13. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) His umbrella.
(b) A post.
(c) A shadow.
(d) His overcoat.
14. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
(a) She is failing the course.
(b) She has not paid tuition.
(c) Her father does not want her in the school.
(d) She is the only girl.
15. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
(a) He becomes nervous.
(b) He is always glad when the sermon is over.
(c) He gets good sermon ideas from other clergymen.
(d) He tends to fall asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
2. Why does Henry note that it is good that men do not know how to fly?
3. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
4. Why does Ellen not marry John?
5. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)