|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) John Thoreau.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Edward Emerson.
2. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
(a) Emulate him.
(b) Go to class.
(c) Listen to their parents.
(d) Stay inside buildings.
3. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) The birds on the clock tower.
(b) The people outside.
(c) The jailer.
(d) Bailey, his cellmate.
4. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
(b) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
(c) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(d) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
5. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
(a) An old college professor.
(b) A Roman emperor giving away gold coins
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) A Unitarian preacher.
6. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
7. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
(a) His intensity frightens Ellen away.
(b) Ellen does not love John as he thought.
(c) His rowing scares Ellen.
(d) Ellen rejects him.
8. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
(a) He never earns a fortune.
(b) He dies with a huge fortune and no poems.
(c) He dies on his way to India.
(d) He dies wealthy and a poet.
9. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
(a) Find books instead of the other way around.
(b) Be picky when choosing a book to read.
(c) Write books.
(d) Read as many books as possible.
10. Why does Ellen not marry John?
(a) She is too young.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She loves Henry.
(d) Her father objects.
11. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
(a) Henry moving away from Walden Pond.
(b) Henry proposes they start their own school.
(c) Henry proposing they protest the Mexican War.
(d) Henry quitting his job.
12. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
(a) He has trouble rowing the boat.
(b) He is afraid of her father.
(c) He finally tells her that he loves her.
(d) He wants to tell her about John.
13. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Robbing a store.
(b) Burning down a barn.
(c) Murdering his neighbor.
(d) Breaking and entering.
14. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) Out of a sense of propriety.
(c) He does not like her.
(d) He is afraid she will cringe.
15. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
(b) He does not believe in God.
(c) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
(d) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose nightmare of Henry being arrested has come true?
2. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
3. What occupation does Sam mark?
4. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
5. Why does Henry note that it is good that men do not know how to fly?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)