|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
(a) She has not paid tuition.
(b) Her father does not want her in the school.
(c) She is the only girl.
(d) She is failing the course.
2. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
(a) Report him to the School Committee.
(b) Cancel his courses.
(c) Reprimand him.
(d) Fire him.
3. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Breaking and entering.
(b) Burning down a barn.
(c) Murdering his neighbor.
(d) Robbing a store.
4. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
(a) The guard, Sam.
(b) His cellmate, Bailey.
(c) His friend, Waldo.
(d) His brother, John.
5. In what town is the play set?
(a) Concord, Massachusetts.
(b) Providence, Rhode Island.
(c) East Hampton, New York.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
6. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A species he has not seen in the area.
(b) An ant hill.
(c) A beautiful flower.
(d) A new species of bee.
7. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) An old college professor.
(c) A Roman emperor giving away gold coins
(d) A Unitarian preacher.
8. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
9. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
(b) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
(c) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(d) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
10. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
(a) He likes to work with his hands.
(b) He wants to help the Emersons.
(c) He loves to repair machinery.
(d) He wants to stop thinking.
11. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
(a) Emulate him.
(b) Go to class.
(c) Listen to their parents.
(d) Stay inside buildings.
12. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
(a) She is staring at him.
(b) She is an older girl and is taking notes.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is younger than any of the other students.
13. For what does Henry propose to work?
(a) A piece of Waldo's property in the woods, so that he can conduct an "experiment."
(b) A small garden in the back property.
(d) A small Salary.
14. Why does Ellen not marry John?
(a) Her father objects.
(b) She loves Henry.
(c) She is too young.
(d) She does not love him.
15. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
(a) The scale of the American Revolution.
(b) A small scale.
(c) The scale of the Mexican War.
(d) The scale of the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam notes that he does not like having to serve Henry with the bill. What does Henry urge him to do?
2. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
3. In another area of the stage, Henry's mother is visibly upset. What does she ask Henry?
4. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
5. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)