|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
(a) He has been feeding plants with manure.
(b) He has been feeding the birds.
(c) He has been feeding his face.
(d) He has been feeding his soul in nature.
2. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
(a) He likes to work with his hands.
(b) He loves to repair machinery.
(c) He wants to help the Emersons.
(d) He wants to stop thinking.
3. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
(a) Go to class.
(b) Stay inside buildings.
(c) Emulate him.
(d) Listen to their parents.
4. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
(a) Henry tells his students he must follow the curriculum, as Waldo tells the congregation he will preach to the Unitarian principles.
(b) Henry resigns from teaching, as Waldo resigns as a Unitarian Minister.
(c) Henry argues with Ball, as Waldo argues with his wife.
(d) Henry teaches new courses and Waldo speaks at a different Unitarian Church.
5. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
(a) He is sending Edmund to boarding school to get a better education.
(b) He has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not approve of Transcendentalism.
(c) he has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not care for Henry.
(d) He has enterd Edmund into the school because he is a Transcedentalist.
6. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) A shadow.
(b) His umbrella.
(c) A post.
(d) His overcoat.
7. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is afraid she will cringe.
(c) He does not like her.
(d) Out of a sense of propriety.
8. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
(a) He has trouble rowing the boat.
(b) He finally tells her that he loves her.
(c) He wants to tell her about John.
(d) He is afraid of her father.
9. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
(a) To do so would make him a murderer.
(b) He does not have the money.
(c) He likes Mexico.
(d) He does not like taxes.
10. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
(a) Ellen does not love John as he thought.
(b) His intensity frightens Ellen away.
(c) Ellen rejects him.
(d) His rowing scares Ellen.
11. How does Bailey feel about being in jail with Henry?
(a) He is delighted to be in jail with an author.
(b) He hates being in jail with him.
(c) He does not mind being in jail with an author.
(d) He is irritated by him.
12. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A beautiful flower.
(b) An ant hill.
(c) A species he has not seen in the area.
(d) A new species of bee.
13. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
(a) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes warmer.
(b) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes more white.
(c) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a stronger hue.
(d) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a bright yellow.
14. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
(a) Read as many books as possible.
(b) Find books instead of the other way around.
(c) Write books.
(d) Be picky when choosing a book to read.
15. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
(a) God would not mind Henry's work.
(b) He is a sinner.
(c) He does not consider gardening to be work.
(d) He worships in nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
2. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
3. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
4. What similarity between Henry and Waldo do John and Mother note?
5. On what do John and Henry then agree?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)