|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Waldo assert about the "majority rules" form of government?
(a) It ensures that change happens peacefully and at the right pace.
(b) It has failed the American citizens and must be thrown out.
(c) It benefits the rich and hurts the poor.
(d) It protects Americans from one another.
2. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) He hates paying taxes.
(b) He does not have the money.
(c) Taxes do not help the people.
(d) The government is corrupt.
3. Besides suggesting that Henry would be a better father, what else does Edward suggest to his mother?
(a) Henry would help around the house.
(b) Henry would be a better cook too.
(c) Henry could make repairs.
(d) Henry would be a better husband for her.
4. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
(a) He is afraid of her father.
(b) He wants to tell her about John.
(c) He has trouble rowing the boat.
(d) He finally tells her that he loves her.
5. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) John Thoreau.
(c) Edward Emerson.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
2. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
3. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
4. What does Henry tell Waldo and Lydian about what must be done?
5. Why is the lighting on the empty areas of the set weak?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)