|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
(a) Ellen rejects him.
(b) His intensity frightens Ellen away.
(c) His rowing scares Ellen.
(d) Ellen does not love John as he thought.
2. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
(a) There are too many biting insects.
(b) The fact that humanity has done so much damage to the environment.
(c) He would like to live in a more tropical environment.
(d) Concord is too wild for his taste.
3. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
(a) She is an older girl and is taking notes.
(b) She is younger than any of the other students.
(c) She is staring at him.
(d) She is beautiful.
4. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
(a) He has been feeding his face.
(b) He has been feeding his soul in nature.
(c) He has been feeding the birds.
(d) He has been feeding plants with manure.
5. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(b) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(c) He will work for room and board.
(d) He does not need any money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
2. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
3. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
4. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
5. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)