|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Waldo offers money, how does Henry respond?
(a) He has already been paid by being able to listen to his mentor's lectures.
(b) He readily accepts his offer.
(c) He want to negotiate a salary.
(d) He wants to be paid in kind.
2. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) He will not become more strange.
(b) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(c) Henry's children will not be strange.
(d) He will straighten out.
3. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
(a) Henry is sneaking around in the dark.
(b) Henry is arguing with the constable.
(c) Henry is stumbling around.
(d) Henry takes off one shoe.
4. How does Bailey feel about being in jail with Henry?
(a) He does not mind being in jail with an author.
(b) He hates being in jail with him.
(c) He is delighted to be in jail with an author.
(d) He is irritated by him.
5. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
(a) He does not like her.
(b) Out of a sense of propriety.
(c) He is afraid she will cringe.
(d) He is embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
2. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
3. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
4. What similarity between Henry and Waldo do John and Mother note?
5. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)