|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(b) He does not need any money.
(c) He will work for room and board.
(d) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
2. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) A Roman emperor giving away gold coins
(c) A Unitarian preacher.
(d) An old college professor.
3. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
(a) He does not consider gardening to be work.
(b) He is a sinner.
(c) He worships in nature.
(d) God would not mind Henry's work.
4. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
(b) Waldo's lectures.
(c) The lab courses.
(d) The weekends.
5. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(b) He will straighten out.
(c) Henry's children will not be strange.
(d) He will not become more strange.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Henry propose to work?
2. On what do John and Henry then agree?
3. What does Henry tell Waldo and Lydian about what must be done?
4. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
5. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)