|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) John Thoreau.
(d) Edward Emerson.
2. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
(a) People do not take as many years of retirement.
(b) People work during the best part of their lives so they can relax during their declining years.
(c) He is a workaholic.
(d) He does not want to think about growing old.
3. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Follow your own path."
(b) "Cast conformity behind you."
(c) "Follow the yellow brick road."
(d) "Be free to be yourself."
4. Who will be Henry's protege?
5. To what does Henry compare time?
(a) To a road.
(b) To the sun.
(c) To a river.
(d) To sand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
2. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
3. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
4. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
5. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)