|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
(a) Talking to Sam.
(b) Reading a book.
(d) Practicing writing his name.
2. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
(a) She is failing the course.
(b) She is the only girl.
(c) Her father does not want her in the school.
(d) She has not paid tuition.
3. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(b) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
(c) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
(d) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
4. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
(a) They are very close.
(b) They are both Transcendentalists.
(c) Neither really understand Transcendentalism.
(d) They do not agree on how Edmund should be raised.
5. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) An ant hill.
(b) A beautiful flower.
(c) A species he has not seen in the area.
(d) A new species of bee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
2. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
3. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
4. Henry replies that he likes the way the alphabet sounds and feels when read backwards. Why does he think that things should be mixed up?
5. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)