|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what town is the play set?
(a) Concord, Massachusetts.
(b) Providence, Rhode Island.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) East Hampton, New York.
2. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
(a) He is a sinner.
(b) He worships in nature.
(c) God would not mind Henry's work.
(d) He does not consider gardening to be work.
3. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's Harvard education.
(b) Henry's desire to be isolated.
(c) Henry's nature.
(d) Henry's private school education.
4. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) For trips to town for supplies.
(b) To see his family.
(c) To go swimming.
(d) To visit friends.
5. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
(a) Stay young.
(b) Do not fall in love.
(c) By thinking for herself.
(d) Live at home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
2. What word does Deacon Ball use incorrectly, which actually means forbidden?
3. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
4. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
5. How does Henry reply when Sam asks him what his occupation is?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)