|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) John Thoreau.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) Edward Emerson.
2. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
(a) He has "not done something."
(b) He does not know what happened to John.
(c) There is "not someone" with him.
(d) His father is dead.
3. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
(a) He knows she likes John.
(b) He knows she loves him.
(c) He knows that John likes her very much.
(d) He loves her.
4. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) They want many wives.
(b) They both like Ellen.
(c) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
(d) They are considering creating their own cult.
5. Why is the lighting on the empty areas of the set weak?
(a) To suggest a dream.
(b) To suggest old age.
(c) The lights are broken.
(d) To suggest winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
2. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
3. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
4. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
5. How does Bailey feel about being in jail with Henry?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)