|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He does not need any money.
(b) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(c) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(d) He will work for room and board.
2. Henry replies that he likes the way the alphabet sounds and feels when read backwards. Why does he think that things should be mixed up?
(a) To make the alphabet more exciting.
(b) It would be more fun that way.
(c) It would be very tricky for everyone to remember.
(d) To make the alphabet less linear and more human.
3. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
(a) He is who he has always been.
(b) He has changed.
(c) He is himself.
(d) He is the same.
4. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
(a) Henry quitting his job.
(b) Henry proposing they protest the Mexican War.
(c) Henry moving away from Walden Pond.
(d) Henry proposes they start their own school.
5. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
(a) He tends to fall asleep.
(b) He becomes nervous.
(c) He is always glad when the sermon is over.
(d) He gets good sermon ideas from other clergymen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
2. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
3. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
4. The audience's attention then goes back to the jail cell, where Henry is seen waking up who?
5. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)