|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
(a) So that he will not have to pay for an education.
(b) So he will stay in jail.
(c) So that he will not write books.
(d) So he will get sympathy.
2. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
(a) He gets good sermon ideas from other clergymen.
(b) He becomes nervous.
(c) He is always glad when the sermon is over.
(d) He tends to fall asleep.
3. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
(a) Lydian brings Waldo a note.
(b) Waldo hears the news from a neighbor.
(c) Lydian hears it at the market and tells Waldo.
(d) Waldo wonders where Henry is and ends up at the jail.
4. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
(a) She is failing the course.
(b) She has not paid tuition.
(c) She is the only girl.
(d) Her father does not want her in the school.
5. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
(a) Henry moving away from Walden Pond.
(b) Henry proposing they protest the Mexican War.
(c) Henry quitting his job.
(d) Henry proposes they start their own school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
2. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
3. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
4. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
5. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)