|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
(a) He never earns a fortune.
(b) He dies on his way to India.
(c) He dies wealthy and a poet.
(d) He dies with a huge fortune and no poems.
2. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Robbing a store.
(b) Breaking and entering.
(c) Burning down a barn.
(d) Murdering his neighbor.
3. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
(a) They are both Transcendentalists.
(b) They do not agree on how Edmund should be raised.
(c) Neither really understand Transcendentalism.
(d) They are very close.
4. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
(a) His father is dead.
(b) He has "not done something."
(c) He does not know what happened to John.
(d) There is "not someone" with him.
5. Henry replies that he likes the way the alphabet sounds and feels when read backwards. Why does he think that things should be mixed up?
(a) To make the alphabet less linear and more human.
(b) It would be more fun that way.
(c) To make the alphabet more exciting.
(d) It would be very tricky for everyone to remember.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
2. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
3. What is Henry's response when Ellen asks what will happen to the school now that there are no students?
4. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
5. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)