|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
(a) So that he will not have to pay for an education.
(b) So he will get sympathy.
(c) So that he will not write books.
(d) So he will stay in jail.
2. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
(a) Their teacher.
(c) The books.
3. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) The government is corrupt.
(b) He does not have the money.
(c) Taxes do not help the people.
(d) He hates paying taxes.
4. Why will Henry not give money to the government?
(a) He does not like the United States.
(b) He does not approve of its actions.
(c) He does not have the money to give to the government.
(d) He is not an American.
5. What do Henry and Bailey see outside the window of the cell?
(a) The constable.
(b) A drunk staggering around.
(c) The keys.
(d) Their neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Transcendentalism?
2. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
3. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
4. What occupation does Sam mark?
5. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)