|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
(a) So that he will not have to pay for an education.
(b) So that he will not write books.
(c) So he will stay in jail.
(d) So he will get sympathy.
2. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
(b) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
(c) Go to a Unitarian church.
(d) Be kind to others to build good karma.
3. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) They are considering creating their own cult.
(b) They want many wives.
(c) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
(d) They both like Ellen.
4. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) Henry's children will not be strange.
(b) He will not become more strange.
(c) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(d) He will straighten out.
5. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
(a) The scale of the Civil War.
(b) The scale of the American Revolution.
(c) The scale of the Mexican War.
(d) A small scale.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
2. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
3. Why does Ellen not marry John?
4. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
5. In what town is the play set?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)