|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(b) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(c) He will work for room and board.
(d) He does not need any money.
2. Why is the lighting on the empty areas of the set weak?
(a) To suggest a dream.
(b) To suggest winter.
(c) To suggest old age.
(d) The lights are broken.
3. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is afraid she will cringe.
(c) He does not like her.
(d) Out of a sense of propriety.
4. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
(a) He loves to repair machinery.
(b) He wants to stop thinking.
(c) He wants to help the Emersons.
(d) He likes to work with his hands.
5. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
(a) His intensity frightens Ellen away.
(b) His rowing scares Ellen.
(c) Ellen rejects him.
(d) Ellen does not love John as he thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
2. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
3. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
4. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
5. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)