|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A beautiful flower.
(b) A species he has not seen in the area.
(c) A new species of bee.
(d) An ant hill.
2. Where does Henry live?
(a) By Walden Pond.
(b) By the ocean.
(c) Downtown Concord.
(d) On the beach.
3. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
(a) People do not take as many years of retirement.
(b) He is a workaholic.
(c) People work during the best part of their lives so they can relax during their declining years.
(d) He does not want to think about growing old.
4. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
(a) He is the same.
(b) He has changed.
(c) He is who he has always been.
(d) He is himself.
5. What do Henry and Bailey see outside the window of the cell?
(a) The keys.
(b) A drunk staggering around.
(c) The constable.
(d) Their neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
2. To what does Henry compare time?
3. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
4. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
5. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)