|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occupation does Sam mark?
2. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
(a) He wants to help the Emersons.
(b) He loves to repair machinery.
(c) He wants to stop thinking.
(d) He likes to work with his hands.
3. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
(b) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
(c) He does not believe in God.
(d) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
4. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's private school education.
(b) Henry's nature.
(c) Henry's Harvard education.
(d) Henry's desire to be isolated.
5. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
(a) Stay young.
(b) Live at home.
(c) Do not fall in love.
(d) By thinking for herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
2. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
3. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
4. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
5. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)