|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
(a) He gets good sermon ideas from other clergymen.
(b) He tends to fall asleep.
(c) He becomes nervous.
(d) He is always glad when the sermon is over.
2. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(b) He will work for room and board.
(c) He does not need any money.
(d) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
3. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their parents and aunt.
(b) Their parents and older brother.
(c) Their parents and uncle.
(d) Their father and mother.
4. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
(a) He likes to work with his hands.
(b) He wants to stop thinking.
(c) He wants to help the Emersons.
(d) He loves to repair machinery.
5. What does Henry offer to Waldo and Lydian?
(a) To babysit their son.
(b) To be a tutor for their son.
(c) To clean their home for them.
(d) To make their home a green home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Transcendentalism?
2. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
3. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
4. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
5. Sam notes that he does not like having to serve Henry with the bill. What does Henry urge him to do?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)