|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry reply when Sam asks him what his occupation is?
(a) Henry answers with several of the different jobs he has done.
(b) Henry tells him he is a protester.
(c) Henry answers that he is a writer.
(d) Henry tells him he is a carpenter.
2. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Follow the yellow brick road."
(b) "Cast conformity behind you."
(c) "Follow your own path."
(d) "Be free to be yourself."
3. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) The jailer.
(b) Bailey, his cellmate.
(c) The people outside.
(d) The birds on the clock tower.
4. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their father and mother.
(b) Their parents and older brother.
(c) Their parents and uncle.
(d) Their parents and aunt.
5. In what town is the play set?
(a) Providence, Rhode Island.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) East Hampton, New York.
(d) Concord, Massachusetts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
2. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
3. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
4. What does Henry offer to Waldo and Lydian?
5. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)