|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry live?
(a) By the ocean.
(b) Downtown Concord.
(c) On the beach.
(d) By Walden Pond.
2. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
(a) he has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not care for Henry.
(b) He has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not approve of Transcendentalism.
(c) He has enterd Edmund into the school because he is a Transcedentalist.
(d) He is sending Edmund to boarding school to get a better education.
3. How does Bailey respond when Henry asks him about marriage?
(a) He cries.
(b) He gives a derisive snort.
(c) He gives a shout of joy.
(d) He laughs.
4. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
(a) Neither really understand Transcendentalism.
(b) They are both Transcendentalists.
(c) They are very close.
(d) They do not agree on how Edmund should be raised.
5. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Practicing writing his name.
(c) Talking to Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
2. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
3. Why does Ellen not marry John?
4. Who is the old man who enters with his wife?
5. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)