|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Reprimand him.
(c) Report him to the School Committee.
(d) Cancel his courses.
2. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) They want many wives.
(b) They both like Ellen.
(c) They are considering creating their own cult.
(d) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
3. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
(a) The scale of the American Revolution.
(b) A small scale.
(c) The scale of the Civil War.
(d) The scale of the Mexican War.
4. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
(a) A jail cell in the center of the stage.
(b) Long Island Sound.
(c) Walden Pond.
(d) A school.
5. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
(a) He has been feeding plants with manure.
(b) He has been feeding the birds.
(c) He has been feeding his face.
(d) He has been feeding his soul in nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
2. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
3. Who will be Henry's protege?
4. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
5. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)