|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Go to a Unitarian church.
(b) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
(c) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
(d) Be kind to others to build good karma.
2. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
(a) He tells her to continue the hard work.
(b) He quizzes her over her notes.
(c) He urges her to be an individual.
(d) He urges her to put the notes on note cards.
3. Why does Ellen not marry John?
(a) She is too young.
(b) Her father objects.
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She loves Henry.
4. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) To go swimming.
(b) For trips to town for supplies.
(c) To see his family.
(d) To visit friends.
5. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) An ant hill.
(b) A new species of bee.
(c) A beautiful flower.
(d) A species he has not seen in the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
2. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
3. Henry agrees to take her to shore if she will do what?
4. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
5. What is Henry's advice when Bailey says he cannot swim?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)