|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bailey in jail?
(a) Robbing a store.
(b) Breaking and entering.
(c) Murdering his neighbor.
(d) Burning down a barn.
2. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
(a) It is safer.
(b) It will get you out of jail faster.
(c) It is the right thing to do.
(d) It can suffocate you.
3. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) To see his family.
(b) To go swimming.
(c) For trips to town for supplies.
(d) To visit friends.
4. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
(a) Henry argues with Ball, as Waldo argues with his wife.
(b) Henry resigns from teaching, as Waldo resigns as a Unitarian Minister.
(c) Henry tells his students he must follow the curriculum, as Waldo tells the congregation he will preach to the Unitarian principles.
(d) Henry teaches new courses and Waldo speaks at a different Unitarian Church.
5. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
(b) He does not believe in God.
(c) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
(d) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
2. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
3. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
4. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
5. Sam notes that he does not like having to serve Henry with the bill. What does Henry urge him to do?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)