|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
(a) She says she loves him.
(b) She weeps over John's coffin.
(c) She comforts him.
(d) She actually understands Transcendentalism
2. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
(a) Juice and gets drunk from the wilderness.
(b) Milk and gets drunk on exercising.
(c) Water and gets drunk on love.
(d) The air and gets drunk from nature.
3. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(b) He will not become more strange.
(c) Henry's children will not be strange.
(d) He will straighten out.
4. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
(a) There is "not someone" with him.
(b) His father is dead.
(c) He does not know what happened to John.
(d) He has "not done something."
5. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
(a) They want many wives.
(b) John notes that Ellen would marry both of them.
(c) They both like Ellen.
(d) They are considering creating their own cult.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
2. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
3. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
4. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
5. Who will be Henry's protege?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)