|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ellen not marry John?
(a) She is too young.
(b) Her father objects.
(c) She does not love him.
(d) She loves Henry.
2. What word does Deacon Ball use incorrectly, which actually means forbidden?
3. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
(a) He dies wealthy and a poet.
(b) He never earns a fortune.
(c) He dies on his way to India.
(d) He dies with a huge fortune and no poems.
4. To what does Henry compare time?
(a) To the sun.
(b) To a river.
(c) To sand.
(d) To a road.
5. In another area of the stage, Henry's mother is visibly upset. What does she ask Henry?
(a) Who is with him.
(b) What he has done.
(c) Where his father is.
(d) What has happened to John.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
2. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
3. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
4. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
5. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)