|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
(a) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes warmer.
(b) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes more white.
(c) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a bright yellow.
(d) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a stronger hue.
2. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
(a) Concord is too wild for his taste.
(b) He would like to live in a more tropical environment.
(c) There are too many biting insects.
(d) The fact that humanity has done so much damage to the environment.
3. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) His overcoat.
(b) A shadow.
(c) His umbrella.
(d) A post.
4. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
(a) He is a workaholic.
(b) He does not want to think about growing old.
(c) People do not take as many years of retirement.
(d) People work during the best part of their lives so they can relax during their declining years.
5. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's desire to be isolated.
(b) Henry's private school education.
(c) Henry's Harvard education.
(d) Henry's nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
2. Sam notes that he does not like having to serve Henry with the bill. What does Henry urge him to do?
3. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
4. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
5. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)