|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will be Henry's protege?
2. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's private school education.
(b) Henry's Harvard education.
(c) Henry's nature.
(d) Henry's desire to be isolated.
3. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
4. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(b) He will straighten out.
(c) Henry's children will not be strange.
(d) He will not become more strange.
5. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
(a) He is not following the curriculum.
(b) There are girls in the course.
(c) Matters of theology should be left to religious leaders.
(d) The students do not address him as "Sir."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Henry not give money to the government?
2. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
3. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
4. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
5. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)