|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
(b) Be kind to others to build good karma.
(c) Go to a Unitarian church.
(d) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
2. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) For trips to town for supplies.
(b) To visit friends.
(c) To go swimming.
(d) To see his family.
3. Why does Henry not hug Ellen?
(a) He is afraid she will cringe.
(b) He does not like her.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) Out of a sense of propriety.
4. What does Ellen wish about Henry?
(a) She wishes Henry had proposed instead of John.
(b) She wishes Henry would have proposed so that she could refuse him also.
(c) She wishes Henry would help John get over her.
(d) She wishes Henry had not introduced her to John.
5. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
(a) He hates paying taxes.
(b) Taxes do not help the people.
(c) He does not have the money.
(d) The government is corrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
2. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
3. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
4. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
5. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)