|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
(a) Read as many books as possible.
(b) Write books.
(c) Find books instead of the other way around.
(d) Be picky when choosing a book to read.
2. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
(a) He has been feeding the birds.
(b) He has been feeding his soul in nature.
(c) He has been feeding his face.
(d) He has been feeding plants with manure.
3. Henry returns to his jail cell. What is Bailey happily doing?
(a) Practicing writing his name.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Talking to Sam.
4. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
(a) Long Island Sound.
(b) A jail cell in the center of the stage.
(c) Walden Pond.
(d) A school.
5. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
(b) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
(c) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(d) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
2. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
3. What does Henry tell Bailey he drinks?
4. What does Henry notice about Ellen?
5. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)