|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occupation does Sam mark?
2. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Be kind to others to build good karma.
(b) Go to a Unitarian church.
(c) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
(d) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
3. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
(a) Stay young.
(b) Live at home.
(c) Do not fall in love.
(d) By thinking for herself.
4. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
(b) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(c) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
(d) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
5. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
(b) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
(c) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(d) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Henry and Waldo do simultaneously?
2. How does Henry reply when Sam asks him what his occupation is?
3. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
4. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
5. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)