|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ball tells Henry that they have been feeding their souls. How does Henry reply?
(a) He has been feeding plants with manure.
(b) He has been feeding his face.
(c) He has been feeding his soul in nature.
(d) He has been feeding the birds.
2. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
(a) Waldo hears the news from a neighbor.
(b) Lydian brings Waldo a note.
(c) Lydian hears it at the market and tells Waldo.
(d) Waldo wonders where Henry is and ends up at the jail.
3. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Go to a Unitarian church.
(b) Be kind to others to build good karma.
(c) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
(d) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
4. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
(b) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
(c) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(d) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
5. For what does Henry invite Ellen?
(a) A swim.
(b) A boat ride.
(c) A picnic.
(d) A walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry mocks Ball by telling his students to prevent all their senses from experiencing life so that they can all focus solely on what?
2. If more people were willing to go to jail to protest the government, they could effect change on what scale?
3. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
4. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
5. John's cheering of Henry leads to what inspiration?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)