|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(b) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
(c) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
(d) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
2. Why does Henry note that it is good that men do not know how to fly?
(a) If they did they would damage and dirty the clouds and the air.
(b) They would dive to earth.
(c) They would hurt the birds in the sky.
(d) They would run into one another in the air.
3. How does Waldo respond when Ball asks him about listening to another clergyman?
(a) He gets good sermon ideas from other clergymen.
(b) He tends to fall asleep.
(c) He is always glad when the sermon is over.
(d) He becomes nervous.
4. When Waldo offers money, how does Henry respond?
(a) He readily accepts his offer.
(b) He wants to be paid in kind.
(c) He has already been paid by being able to listen to his mentor's lectures.
(d) He want to negotiate a salary.
5. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their father and mother.
(b) Their parents and uncle.
(c) Their parents and aunt.
(d) Their parents and older brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
2. What happens to the man, in Waldo's story, who goes to India to earn a fortune, so he can retire a poet?
3. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
4. What does Henry point out to Bailey about doing what is expected of you?
5. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)