|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
(a) Ellen does not love John as he thought.
(b) Ellen rejects him.
(c) His intensity frightens Ellen away.
(d) His rowing scares Ellen.
2. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
(a) He would like to live in a more tropical environment.
(b) There are too many biting insects.
(c) The fact that humanity has done so much damage to the environment.
(d) Concord is too wild for his taste.
3. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
(a) He knows she loves him.
(b) He knows she likes John.
(c) He knows that John likes her very much.
(d) He loves her.
4. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
(b) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
(c) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
(d) He does not believe in God.
5. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
(a) The lab courses.
(c) Waldo's lectures.
(d) The weekends.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
2. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
3. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
4. Why is the lighting on the empty areas of the set weak?
5. What do Henry and Bailey see outside the window of the cell?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)