|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
(a) Waldo wonders where Henry is and ends up at the jail.
(b) Lydian brings Waldo a note.
(c) Waldo hears the news from a neighbor.
(d) Lydian hears it at the market and tells Waldo.
2. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
(b) He will not become more strange.
(c) He will straighten out.
(d) Henry's children will not be strange.
3. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) Bailey, his cellmate.
(b) The birds on the clock tower.
(c) The jailer.
(d) The people outside.
4. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
(a) People do not take as many years of retirement.
(b) He is a workaholic.
(c) He does not want to think about growing old.
(d) People work during the best part of their lives so they can relax during their declining years.
5. When Waldo offers money, how does Henry respond?
(a) He readily accepts his offer.
(b) He want to negotiate a salary.
(c) He wants to be paid in kind.
(d) He has already been paid by being able to listen to his mentor's lectures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
2. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
3. Henry notes that older people like her father are "polluted" by advice. How does he strongly urge Ellen to maintain her "innocence?"
4. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
5. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)