|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
(a) He has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not approve of Transcendentalism.
(b) He has enterd Edmund into the school because he is a Transcedentalist.
(c) He is sending Edmund to boarding school to get a better education.
(d) he has withdrawn Edmund from the school because he does not care for Henry.
2. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
(a) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes more white.
(b) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a bright yellow.
(c) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage shifts to a stronger hue.
(d) The lighting on Waldo's side of the stage becomes warmer.
3. Bailey is impressed and observes that Henry must be a teacher. Why is Bailey impressed with Henry?
(a) Henry teaches him how to play the flute.
(b) Henry teaches him mathematics.
(c) Henry teaches him about Transcendentalism.
(d) Henry teaches him how to read and write his name.
4. Why does Henry offer to work for 10 cents a week?
(a) He knows the Emerson's do not have a lot of money.
(b) He will work for room and board.
(c) Without a salary, he will be free of obligations.
(d) He does not need any money.
5. Where does Henry live?
(a) By the ocean.
(b) On the beach.
(c) Downtown Concord.
(d) By Walden Pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry attempt to explain to Ellen?
2. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
3. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
4. Henry sits up on his cot, and what is his response to his mother's question?
5. What does Henry tell Waldo and Lydian about what must be done?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)