|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry discover as he is busily pointing out different species of grass?
(a) A species he has not seen in the area.
(b) A new species of bee.
(c) A beautiful flower.
(d) An ant hill.
2. Ellen says that she has to go home, and Henry delays. Why?
(a) He finally tells her that he loves her.
(b) He wants to tell her about John.
(c) He has trouble rowing the boat.
(d) He is afraid of her father.
3. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
(a) The members of his congregation.
(b) Roman emperors.
(c) College professors.
(d) His students.
4. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) The birds on the clock tower.
(b) The jailer.
(c) The people outside.
(d) Bailey, his cellmate.
5. What does Henry do when he catches Ellen writing notes once again?
(a) He urges her to put the notes on note cards.
(b) He urges her to be an individual.
(c) He quizzes her over her notes.
(d) He tells her to continue the hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry then urge all his students not to do but to savor their sensations of the world?
2. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
3. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
4. How does Ellen find Transcendentalism?
5. What is Transcendentalism?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)