|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Waldo find out about Henry's arrest?
(a) Waldo hears the news from a neighbor.
(b) Lydian brings Waldo a note.
(c) Waldo wonders where Henry is and ends up at the jail.
(d) Lydian hears it at the market and tells Waldo.
2. Why does Ellen not marry John?
(a) She loves Henry.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She is too young.
(d) Her father objects.
3. Ball notes that it is a sin to work on Sundays, and what does John note about Henry?
(a) He is a sinner.
(b) He does not consider gardening to be work.
(c) He worships in nature.
(d) God would not mind Henry's work.
4. Why is Henry seized with a new feeling of love for Ellen?
(a) She actually understands Transcendentalism
(b) She comforts him.
(c) She says she loves him.
(d) She weeps over John's coffin.
5. To what does Henry compare time?
(a) To sand.
(b) To a river.
(c) To the sun.
(d) To a road.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
2. What does Henry note that people must do, regarding books?
3. When Waldo offers money, how does Henry respond?
4. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
5. How does the lighting show a new time period and a younger Waldo?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)