|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What similarity between Henry and Waldo do John and Mother note?
(a) Waldo and Henry's irritability.
(b) Waldo and Henry's speeches.
(c) Waldo and Henry's personalites.
(d) Waldo and Henry's looks.
2. Why is Deacon Ball, the Chair of the Concord School Committee, shocked at what Henry has been discussing with his class?
(a) He is not following the curriculum.
(b) The students do not address him as "Sir."
(c) Matters of theology should be left to religious leaders.
(d) There are girls in the course.
3. On what do John and Henry then agree?
(a) They will stay celibate for the rest of their lives.
(b) They will begin their cult and marry as many women as possible.
(c) They will remain celibate until they are 90 and 92 years old, at which time they will both pursue Ellen.
(d) They will both get married as soon as possible to forget about Ellen.
4. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Be kind to others to build good karma.
(b) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
(c) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
(d) Go to a Unitarian church.
5. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
(a) To go swimming.
(b) For trips to town for supplies.
(c) To visit friends.
(d) To see his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
2. Why is Bailey in jail?
3. Who will be Henry's protege?
4. What has Ellen's father done, regarding her little brother, Edmund?
5. How does Henry reply when Sam asks him what his occupation is?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)