|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words of Waldo's does Henry repeat like a mantra?
(a) "Follow your own path."
(b) "Follow the yellow brick road."
(c) "Cast conformity behind you."
(d) "Be free to be yourself."
2. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their parents and older brother.
(b) Their father and mother.
(c) Their parents and aunt.
(d) Their parents and uncle.
3. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) He will straighten out.
(b) He will not become more strange.
(c) Henry's children will not be strange.
(d) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
4. Waldo, who is clearly quite old, is losing his senses, mistakes what for a person?
(a) His overcoat.
(b) His umbrella.
(c) A shadow.
(d) A post.
5. What does Waldo tell Lydian will be interesting?
(a) Having a Harvard-educated repairperson.
(b) Having a outspoken repairperson.
(c) Having an odd repairperson.
(d) Having a Transcendentalist repairperson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
2. For what does Henry propose to work?
3. Why is Henry visibly frustrated with himself?
4. Why does Ellen not marry John?
5. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)