|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Henry not give money to the government?
(a) He does not approve of its actions.
(b) He does not like the United States.
(c) He is not an American.
(d) He does not have the money to give to the government.
2. Henry notes that he can feel the sound waves from the clock tower. Who does he say he is freer in jail than?
(a) Bailey, his cellmate.
(b) The jailer.
(c) The people outside.
(d) The birds on the clock tower.
3. Upon what does Henry lament, regarding the environment?
(a) He would like to live in a more tropical environment.
(b) The fact that humanity has done so much damage to the environment.
(c) Concord is too wild for his taste.
(d) There are too many biting insects.
4. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
(b) Be kind to others to build good karma.
(c) Go to a Unitarian church.
(d) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
5. Henry tells Sam he will not pay for the war in Mexico. Why?
(a) He does not have the money.
(b) He does not like taxes.
(c) To do so would make him a murderer.
(d) He likes Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen offer to leave?
2. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
3. What similarity between Henry and Waldo do John and Mother note?
4. What is the only reason for why Henry leaves his home?
5. Who will be Henry's protege?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)