|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
(a) Be kind to others to build good karma.
(b) Go to a Unitarian church.
(c) Go beyond "living" and start "being."
(d) Go beyond "being" and start "living."
2. Why does Henry urge Bailey to remain uneducated?
(a) So he will stay in jail.
(b) So that he will not have to pay for an education.
(c) So he will get sympathy.
(d) So that he will not write books.
3. To what does Henry compare Waldo lecturing?
(a) An old college professor.
(b) A Unitarian preacher.
(c) The President of the United States.
(d) A Roman emperor giving away gold coins
4. To what does John attribute Henry's nonconformity?
(a) Henry's private school education.
(b) Henry's nature.
(c) Henry's Harvard education.
(d) Henry's desire to be isolated.
5. Why does Henry make this agreement with Ellen before taking her to shore?
(a) He knows she loves him.
(b) He knows that John likes her very much.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He knows she likes John.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
2. Henry tells John that college was a waste of time except for what?
3. Why will Henry not pay his taxes?
4. On what do John and Henry then agree?
5. Why will Henry not give money to the government?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)