|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry say that he cannot pray for John's soul?
(a) He cannot pray to a God that does not listen.
(b) He does not believe John's soul is in heaven.
(c) He is angry with God for taking his brother.
(d) He does not believe in God.
2. What does Ball threaten to do to Henry?
(a) Cancel his courses.
(b) Fire him.
(c) Report him to the School Committee.
(d) Reprimand him.
3. Why is Henry applying for work as a repair person?
(a) He wants to help the Emersons.
(b) He likes to work with his hands.
(c) He loves to repair machinery.
(d) He wants to stop thinking.
4. Who are the only people married in John and Henry's family?
(a) Their father and mother.
(b) Their parents and aunt.
(c) Their parents and older brother.
(d) Their parents and uncle.
5. What becomes clear about Ellen and her father?
(a) They are both Transcendentalists.
(b) They do not agree on how Edmund should be raised.
(c) They are very close.
(d) Neither really understand Transcendentalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do John and Henry get on the topic of polygamy?
2. Henry and his mother keep talking, and she tells him she does not know who he is. How does he reply?
3. Sam notes that he does not like having to serve Henry with the bill. What does Henry urge him to do?
4. After telling Ellen about Transcendentalism, what does he invite her to do?
5. Why do the townsfolk look strangely at Henry?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)