|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Transcendentalism?
(a) A Christian denomination, similar to the Methodist faith.
(b) A way of traveling from one continent to another.
(c) The belief in karma, nirvana, and reincarnation.
(d) A person's thoughts or emotions that transcend or rise above their external perceptions.
2. In another area of the stage, Henry's mother is visibly upset. What does she ask Henry?
(a) What he has done.
(b) Who is with him.
(c) Where his father is.
(d) What has happened to John.
3. What happens when Henry urges him to run away?
(a) He hides.
(b) All the soldiers start to shoot at him.
(c) He refuses to leave, so he may fight in the battle.
(d) He refuses to leave Henry.
4. Mother again laments Henry's strangeness, and what does she hope?
(a) Henry's children will not be strange.
(b) He will not become more strange.
(c) He will straighten out.
(d) John will turn out not to be strange as well.
5. Who does Waldo say "were trying to buy popularity?"
(a) His students.
(b) The members of his congregation.
(c) Roman emperors.
(d) College professors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry object to the whole notion of retirement?
2. What does Henry assure Williams?
3. What is the setting for the beginning of the play?
4. What choice is Henry describing to Bailey?
5. What happens to Henry when he tries to object to the President?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)