|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shirley describe her love for Bill?
2. What does Thomas do in anticipation of talking with Bill?
3. Which poet does Thomas quote to Elsa?
4. What does Dieter's fax to Elsa say?
5. Why is Vonni reluctant to admit that she is right about other people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Thomas and Vonni discover that they have in common at the end of Chapter 10?
2. How does Andreas try to comfort Vonni?
3. What reassurance does Vonni offer Andreas?
4. What is the mood in Aghia Anna the day after the funeral?
5. What advice does Thomas receive from his mother?
6. Why is there tension between Bill and Thomas on the phone?
7. Why is Barbara, Fiona's mother, excited when Shane calls?
8. What does each tourist reveal as his or her next plan?
9. What does Vonni admit has caused her trouble?
10. What does Fiona write about in the letter to her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several instances, the author refers to "Catholic guilt" and "Jewish guilt." Explain how this guilt affects the various characters.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the main characters have, at some point, disappointed others. Choose two characters and explain how their disappointment of others changed them and their outlook on life. Are these characters able to rectify these situations? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you think grows and develops the most over the course of the novel, and why? Explain and illustrate with specific examples.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)