|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the joke David tells Elsa?
2. What does Fiona ask Thomas to do for her?
3. Why do the tourists have to dine inside?
4. What does Andreas decide about the four tourists while he listens to their phone conversations?
5. Why is it a relief to Fiona that Shane is not at Thomas' apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of the tragedy.
2. How do the tourists and the local people of Aghia Anna act after the funeral?
3. What theme does the author begin to explore in Chapter Two?
4. What is David's parents' reaction to his call home?
5. Describe Elsa and Dieter's first interaction on the island.
6. Why does David think that he would never be successful in his father's business?
7. Although David and Elsa are both 28-years-old, what is the main difference in how they've lived their respective lives so far?
8. Describe the relationship between Fiona and Shane.
9. How does David portray his relationship with his father?
10. How does Shane further alienate himself at the beginning of Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the novel's themes is how difficult family ties and relationships can be. Choose two characters and compare and contrast their situations vis-a-vis their families.
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you think grows and develops the most over the course of the novel, and why? Explain and illustrate with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In several instances, the author refers to "Catholic guilt" and "Jewish guilt." Explain how this guilt affects the various characters.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)