|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David describe to Andreas?
2. What does Andreas decide about the four tourists while he listens to their phone conversations?
3. What do David's parents want to discuss on the phone?
4. What does Elsa realize in Chapter Three?
5. What does Andreas first think he sees out in the Aegean Sea when the boat is on fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elsa see David?
2. What impression has Vonni made on the tourists?
3. How does the tragedy on the boat affect each of the tourists?
4. Why does Elsa reject Dieter's marriage proposal?
5. What is David's parents' reaction to his call home?
6. How does David portray his relationship with his father?
7. What theme does the author begin to explore in Chapter Two?
8. Why does Thomas wish he had called his mother rather than his son?
9. Why does David think that he would never be successful in his father's business?
10. Describe the nature of the tragedy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the novel's themes is how difficult family ties and relationships can be. Choose two characters and compare and contrast their situations vis-a-vis their families.
Essay Topic 2
In several instances, the author refers to "Catholic guilt" and "Jewish guilt." Explain how this guilt affects the various characters.
Essay Topic 3
In what way are the characters able to learn from each others' mistakes? Are there any characters which seem to learn more than others? Are some characters simply incapable of learning anything from other people? Cite specific examples.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)