|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Georgi believe the tragedy aboard the Olga reminds everyone?
2. What adjective does Elsa use to describe David?
3. What adjective best describes Shane's character?
4. What does Andreas attribute the tragedy to?
5. How has David's father made him feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Vonni offer Maria after the funeral?
2. Why does David think that he would never be successful in his father's business?
3. What is Shane's reaction to FIona's news that she is pregnant?
4. What does Fiona begin to think about as far as her future is concerned in Chapter Six?
5. Why does Fiona think other people have a negative reaction to Shane?
6. How does Elsa feel about herself as far as her capacity to offer advice to others?
7. What has brought each of the tourists to Aghia Anna?
8. How does the tragedy on the boat affect each of the tourists?
9. What impression has Vonni made on the tourists?
10. How does Shane further alienate himself at the beginning of Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of spirituality and religion in the lives of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the dichotomy between the island's locals, most of whom are working class, and the four tourists who are better off financially. In what ways is the social stratification evident in the interactions among the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Cite two or three examples of tradition in the novel. Why are these traditions important to the various characters?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)