|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miriam admit to David when he calls home at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) That his father is an alcoholic.
(b) That his father is in a coma.
(c) That his father has colon cancer.
(d) That his father has a gambling addiction.
2. What happened to Vonni after she learned that her husband had been unfaithful?
(a) She left the island for ten years.
(b) She attempted suicide.
(c) She became a recluse.
(d) She was hospitalized.
3. Which adjective best describes the town after the funeral?
4. What message does Vonni deliver to David from his mother?
(a) That he has lost his job.
(b) That his sister is pregnant.
(c) That he is about to come into a large inheritance.
(d) That his father may be dying.
5. What does Vonni tell Elsa about her past?
(a) That her husband had an affair.
(b) That she never attended school.
(c) That she killed someone.
(d) That she has never spoken to her son.
6. What does Vonni offer to teach Maria to do?
(c) Speak Greek.
7. What does Thomas wake to find in the kitchen?
(a) Juice and coffee.
(b) Muffins and croissants.
(c) Milk and cereal.
(d) Oranges and rolls.
8. What does Fiona's friend, Barbara, suggest her parents do?
(a) Go to Greece and bring her home.
(b) Disown her.
(c) Pretend to accept Shane.
(d) Throw a surprise party for Fiona.
9. What does Vonni ask the tourists to do once they get home?
(a) Settle their family differences.
(b) Write within 24 hours.
(c) Call her as soon as they get home.
(d) Plan their next visit to Aghia Anna.
10. What does Thomas do in anticipation of talking with Bill?
(a) He tries to find a pay phone.
(b) He makes a list of conversation topics.
(c) He calls Shirley and asks her permission.
(d) He searches for his phone number.
11. What does Dieter's fax to Elsa say?
(a) That he has met someone else.
(b) That their relationship is over.
(c) That he believes they will get married.
(d) That he is through playing games.
12. What surprises the sailors when talking to Thomas?
(a) That Thomas is still on the island after the tragedy.
(b) That Thomas and his friends are from different countries.
(c) That Thomas is single.
(d) That Thomas doesn't speak Greek.
13. While in jail, what does Shane tell Fiona about his feelings for her?
(a) That he thinks they should take a break.
(b) That he thinks they are soulmates.
(c) That he wants to get married.
(d) That he never loved her.
14. Where did Vonni meet her husband?
(a) Aghia Anna.
15. What do Vonni and Andreas return to the tavern to make?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vonni invite Elsa to do that makes her feel less isolated?
2. Why is Vonni reluctant to admit that she is right about other people?
3. Why is Fiona's mother, Barbara, thrilled to receive a phone call from Shane asking whether Fiona has returned to Dublin?
4. What does David tell his parents in a letter?
5. Why does Shane want to go to Exarchia?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)