|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dieter offer Elsa?
(a) To pay for her to go back to school.
(b) To introduce her to his child.
(c) To marry her.
(d) To move in with her.
2. What kind of pressure has David experienced in his life?
(a) Jewish guilt.
(c) Catholic guilt.
3. What does Vonni go out to get for Maria's family?
4. Why can't David sleep after seeing what happened to the Olga?
(a) Because he keeps having nightmares.
(b) Because the family of one of the victims is crying loudly.
(c) Because he has insomnia.
(d) Because he has jet lag.
5. What does Andreas attribute the tragedy to?
(a) A broken navigation system.
(b) A horrible storm.
(c) Not enough crew members.
(d) Too many people on board, too much drinking and not enough emergency supplies.
6. Why do the tourists have to dine inside?
(a) It got too cold.
(b) There was no room outside.
(c) They didn't want to look at the site of the accident.
(d) It started to rain.
7. What do David's parents want to discuss on the phone?
(a) His future.
(b) His father's award.
(c) His career.
(d) His report card.
8. How old are David and Elsa?
9. How are the locals portrayed in Chapter One?
(a) Friendly and welcoming.
(b) Rude and offensive.
(c) Arrogant and snobbish.
(d) Cold and distant.
10. Where is Vonni from?
11. What do Thomas, David and Fiona have in common?
(a) They all went to the same university.
(b) They grew up in the same neighborhood.
(c) They have trouble getting along with their families.
(d) They are cousins.
12. What does David think he should have mentioned on the phone to his parents?
(a) That he had witnessed a tragedy.
(b) That he was learning about himself and becoming a better person.
(c) That he had fallen in love.
(d) That he decided to change his career.
13. What is Thomas trying to get Vonni to do so that his housing arrangement is less awkward?
(a) Stay in her own bedroom.
(b) Go back to work.
(c) Go on a date with Andreas.
(d) Travel back to Ireland.
14. What adjective best describes Shane's character?
15. What is Shane asked to do by Georgi and Andreas, which he refuses in Chapter Six?
(a) Pay his bail.
(b) Write a note to Fiona.
(c) Get back together with Fiona.
(d) Leave the island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Fiona get a boat off the island?
2. What do all of the characters seek after the funeral?
3. Who spots Elsa as she leaves the deli?
4. What does Thomas buy Eleni's children?
5. Where was Thomas' son, Bill, when he called?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)