|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many grandchildren does George have in "My Pretty Pony"?
2. Where was Jagger in "The Fifth Quarter"?
3. How does Jerry Tarkanian get the object of his desire?
4. Where was Doris and her husband staying in "Crouch End"?
5. What does the sheriff insist on in "Home Delivery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary Willingham jumpy about the town in "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band"?
2. What are the Grahams warned about in "Rainy Season," and how did they react to that warning?
3. What kind of struggle do the policemen in "Crouch End" experience?
4. In "Home Delivery," how does Maddie deal with Jack becoming a zombie?
5. Describe Pearson in "The Ten O'Clock People."
6. How do the Bradbury children feel about their stepfather in "The House on Maple Street"?
7. What are the three kinds of time, according to George in "My Pretty Pony"?
8. How does Katie react to the phone call she receives while Bill looks for a blank videotape in "Sorry, Right Number"?
9. What happened to Lonnie Freeman in "Crouch End"?
10. How does "The Fifth Quarter" end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A choice is made in "The Doctor's Case" that may not be the most ethical. What was Watson's decision at the end of the case? Why does Watson make this decision regarding the Hull case, and why do Holmes and Lestrade agree? Is it ethical to let the murderers go, despite Hull's actions? Why or why not? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Umney's Last Case," life and literature intersect when Umney finds out that he is simply a character in Samuel Landry's writing. Does this story change your perspective on what the creation of literature means? Why or why not? How does Landry demonstrate his control of Umney, and why does he take his place rather than live in reality? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Greed is a theme that runs throughout "The Fifth Quarter." How is greed reflected throughout the story by different characters? How does greed endanger the lives of the characters in this story? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)