|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after Bill's death does Polly get married in "Sorry, Right Number"?
2. What does the student reporter say in "Home Delivery"?
3. What occupation does the stepfather in "The House on Maple Street" hold?
4. Who is killed in the firefight in "The Fifth Quarter"?
5. Where is Crouch End?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katie react to the phone call she receives while Bill looks for a blank videotape in "Sorry, Right Number"?
2. How did Doris and her husband end up in Crouch End?
3. Describe Pearson in "The Ten O'Clock People."
4. Why is Mary Willingham jumpy about the town in "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band"?
5. In "Home Delivery," how does Maddie deal with Jack becoming a zombie?
6. Describe a 'batman' from "The Ten O'Clock People."
7. How does the father react to his son wanting to see one of his adaptations in "Sorry, Right Number"?
8. What kind of struggle do the policemen in "Crouch End" experience?
9. In "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band," how do Clark and Mary Willingham end up in Rock and Roll Heaven?
10. What is Katie's life like when she receives the second phone call in "Sorry, Right Number," and how does she react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the horror story, "The Moving Finger," the story relies heavily on suspense building up to a climax. What is the climax of the story, and what does it demonstrate? How does it emphasize Howard's state of mind? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 2
A choice is made in "The Doctor's Case" that may not be the most ethical. What was Watson's decision at the end of the case? Why does Watson make this decision regarding the Hull case, and why do Holmes and Lestrade agree? Is it ethical to let the murderers go, despite Hull's actions? Why or why not? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Suffer the Little Children" is about a teacher, Miss Sidley, who sees changes in her students. What kind of person is Miss Sidley? How does she become a murderer by the end of the story? Are her actions caused by real evil that she sees, or are they caused by her delusions of evil? Why or why not? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)