|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clivey's grandfather give him?
2. What color suit does the young black man wear in the beginning of "The Ten O'Clock People"?
3. What does Bill die from in "Sorry, Right Number"?
4. How many pieces of the map does Tarkanian have?
5. Where do citizens gather in "Home Delivery"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lew in "The House on Maple Street."
2. Describe a 'batman' from "The Ten O'Clock People."
3. How do the children get rid of their stepfather in "The House on Maple Street"?
4. What did Barney tell Jerry Tarkanian in "The Fifth Quarter"?
5. Describe Sissy in "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band."
6. How did Doris and her husband end up in Crouch End?
7. What kind of struggle do the policemen in "Crouch End" experience?
8. What are the Grahams warned about in "Rainy Season," and how did they react to that warning?
9. What are the three kinds of time, according to George in "My Pretty Pony"?
10. How does "The Fifth Quarter" end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The different traits of the characters introduced in "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" are revealed throughout the story, giving the reader a better idea of what the characters are like. How do Clark's actions characterize him? How do Mary's actions characterize her? How do the celebrities' actions characterize them? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Although "Dedication" is a short story, there is no shortage of information or analysis that can be done. Focus on a specific character to answer the following questions: How does the character interact with others? How has he/she been influenced by other characters? Who influenced this character the most? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In the horror story, "The Moving Finger," the story relies heavily on suspense building up to a climax. What is the climax of the story, and what does it demonstrate? How does it emphasize Howard's state of mind? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)