|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robinson do to prepare for his plan?
2. Who investigates the story of the Night Flier?
3. What does the finger in "The Moving Finger" do gradually?
4. How many slipped discs does Robinson suffer from while executing his plan?
5. What does Miss Sidley think has happened to the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do John Tell and Paul Jannings become friends in "Sneakers"?
2. In "The End of the Whole Mess," how does Bobby's plan go awry?
3. How does the father of Martha's child change in her eyes in "Dedication"?
4. In "It Grows On You," how does Joe Newall die, and what are some possible reasons why?
5. What is Robinson obsessed with and why?
6. How is Sheridan surprised in "Popsy"?
7. In "Popsy," what does Sheridan resort to in order to pay back his bookie?
8. What do the hitchhiker's actions reveal in "Chattery Teeth"?
9. Describe Joe Newall's wife in "It Grows On You."
10. Describe the finger in "The Moving Finger" and who sees it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The End of the Whole Mess" is narrated by Howard Fornoy who has a younger brother who differs from him intellectually. Compare and contrast the characters of Howard and Bobby. What kind of relationship do they have? How does Howard treat Bobby, and how does Bobby view Howard despite their differences? Remember to answer each question with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In the horror story, "The Moving Finger," the story relies heavily on suspense building up to a climax. What is the climax of the story, and what does it demonstrate? How does it emphasize Howard's state of mind? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Dolan's Cadillac" employs many themes that interact with each other such as revenge and obsession. How does "Dolan's Cadillac" portray the themes of obsession and revenge? Whose life is consumed with obsession and revenge, and why? How does this character act on his obsession? Remember to answer each question with evidence from the story.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)