|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mammy do when she first sees John teaching Sarny the letters of the alphabet in Chapter 4?
2. What does John wrap around his toes before he leaves in Chapter 6?
3. What tools does Waller order one of the field hands to fetch from the blacksmith lean-to in Chapter 5?
4. Where on the plantation does Waller keep his dogs?
5. Mammy tells John in Chapter 6, "you are born to" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Alice's whipping in Chapter 4? How are Alice's wounds treated?
2. How does John describe his plans for escape to Mammy and Sarny in Chapter 6?
3. How does Sarny describe the first day of John's recovery in Chapter 6?
4. How does Mammy respond when Sarny runs to her at the spring house in Chapter 5?
5. What does John teach Sarny in Chapter 6? How does Mammy respond when she observes this exchange?
6. How is John's departure described in Chapter 6? What does Sarny make of John's farewell?
7. What leads up to Alice being being whipped by Waller in Chapter 4? How is her whipping described?
8. How does Master Waller punish Mammy in Chapter 5? How do the other slaves respond to the abuse?
9. What causes Master Waller to send Old Delie to the spring house in Chapter 5?
10. How does Master Waller punish John after he has stepped forward in Chapter 5? How does John respond to his punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Sarny as the protagonist and narrator of Nightjohn. How does Sarny describe her role in the story in Chapter 1? What aspects of Sarny’s character stand out for you as a reader? How old is Sarny’s character when she is first introduced? How does Sarny’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s dedication in the beginning of the novel and the lives of Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson. What was Jefferson’s stance regarding slavery in the U.S.? Why did Gary Paulsen dedicate Nightjohn to the memory of Sally Hemings? Why is Sally Hemings significant in American history?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative style of Nightjohn. Who is the narrator of the story? Is the narrator involved in the action of the narrative? In what tense is the narrative related? Why do you think that the author chose this narrative style? How would the story differ if it were told from a different point of view?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)