|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creatures does Mammy remark upon when Sarny runs to her at the spring house in Chapter 5?
2. What color does Sarny describe Waller's dogs as in Chapter 4?
3. Who were the people that captured John after he'd fled?
4. What does Mammy respond when John flirts with her in Chapter 6?
5. Where on the plantation does Waller keep his dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe his plans for escape to Mammy and Sarny in Chapter 6?
2. What does John teach Sarny in Chapter 6? How does Mammy respond when she observes this exchange?
3. What happens after Alice's whipping in Chapter 4? How are Alice's wounds treated?
4. How is Alice described in the beginning of Chapter 4? What is Sarny's relationship like with Alice?
5. Sarny describes two slaves that she has heard of that ran away from Waller's plantation in Chapter 4. What story is related of Jim's attempted escape?
6. Why do you think it is important for John to teach the slaves to read and write as opposed to teaching them other information?
7. What is foreshadowed by Alice's treatment and abuse from Waller in Chapter 4?
8. How does Waller discover that Sarny is learning to read and write in Chapter 5? How does he react?
9. What leads up to Alice being being whipped by Waller in Chapter 4? How is her whipping described?
10. How does Master Waller punish Mammy in Chapter 5? How do the other slaves respond to the abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of John in the novel. What does John look like? How does Sarny describe John’s voice? What personality traits stand out in John upon his arrival at the plantation? How does John’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of freedom and faith in Nightjohn. What does “freedom” mean to you? Consider yourself in Sarny’s circumstances; how would your experience and perception of freedom differ? What would it mean to have faith in freedom for a slave like Sarny?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Clel Waller in Nightjohn. How old is Clel Waller? How would you describe Sarny’s opinions of Master Waller? How do the other slaves feel about the master? How does Waller’s character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)