|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the next letter" that John introduces to Sarny on the second night of his recovery in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mammy respond when John flirts with her in Chapter 6?
3. What sounds does John make while enduring Waller's punishment in Chapter 5?
4. Who were the people that captured John after he'd fled?
5. Sarny says in Chapter 5 that "They say if you can" do what that "you can work"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Master Waller to send Old Delie to the spring house in Chapter 5?
2. Sarny describes two slaves that she has heard of that ran away from Waller's plantation in Chapter 4. What story is related of Jim's attempted escape?
3. How does Master Waller punish Mammy in Chapter 5? How do the other slaves respond to the abuse?
4. How was Pawley's disappearance discovered by Waller, according to Sarny in Chapter 4? Why was Pawley off the plantation?
5. What is foreshadowed by Alice's treatment and abuse from Waller in Chapter 4?
6. How does John describe his plans for escape to Mammy and Sarny in Chapter 6?
7. How has the relationship between Mammy and John evolved by Chapter 6?
8. What is the significance of Master Waller's public displays of punishment for the slaves in the novel?
9. How does Master Waller punish John after he has stepped forward in Chapter 5? How does John respond to his punishment?
10. What are Sarny's perceptions of Alice's whipping when she witnesses it in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Mammy, or Old Delie, in the novel. About how old do you imagine Mammy to be? What is Mammy’s essential function on Waller’s plantation? How would you describe the bond between Sarny and Mammy?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of John in the novel. What does John look like? How does Sarny describe John’s voice? What personality traits stand out in John upon his arrival at the plantation? How does John’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative style of Nightjohn. Who is the narrator of the story? Is the narrator involved in the action of the narrative? In what tense is the narrative related? Why do you think that the author chose this narrative style? How would the story differ if it were told from a different point of view?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)