|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mammy tells John in Chapter 6, "you are born to" what?
2. Who were the people that captured John after he'd fled?
3. What word from Chapter 5 refers to the act of writing or marking carelessly?
4. What did the master do to Pawley for punishment after he was caught?
5. What does John wrap around his toes before he leaves in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think it is important for John to teach the slaves to read and write as opposed to teaching them other information?
2. How does Sarny describe the first day of John's recovery in Chapter 6?
3. What is the significance of Master Waller's public displays of punishment for the slaves in the novel?
4. How did Pawley die, according to the story related from Sarny in Chapter 4?
5. What are Sarny's perceptions of Alice's whipping when she witnesses it in Chapter 4?
6. What element of the novel's plot structure is seen in Chapter 5?
7. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 6? What does the reader expect to happen based on John's actions?
8. What is foreshadowed by Alice's treatment and abuse from Waller in Chapter 4?
9. What does John teach Sarny in Chapter 6? How does Mammy respond when she observes this exchange?
10. What leads up to Alice being being whipped by Waller in Chapter 4? How is her whipping described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of freedom and faith in Nightjohn. What does “freedom” mean to you? Consider yourself in Sarny’s circumstances; how would your experience and perception of freedom differ? What would it mean to have faith in freedom for a slave like Sarny?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and discuss the themes of cruelty and abuse in Nightjohn. In what ways do Waller’s actions in the narrative appear cruel? Do you think that Waller derives pleasure from the abuse and torture of his slaves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Clel Waller in Nightjohn. How old is Clel Waller? How would you describe Sarny’s opinions of Master Waller? How do the other slaves feel about the master? How does Waller’s character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)