|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mammy tell Sarny to bring to her at the spring house when the master and others aren't looking in Chapter 5?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
2. When was the first Fugitive Slave Act implemented in the United States requiring all escaped slaves to be returned to their masters?
3. What tools does Waller order one of the field hands to fetch from the blacksmith lean-to in Chapter 5?
(a) A rake and a baler.
(b) A chisel and a hammer.
(c) A shovel and a hoe.
(d) A branding iron and a horseshoe.
4. What does Waller order John to do when he steps forward and confesses to teaching Sarny in Chapter 5?
(a) To pick out a switch to be beaten with.
(b) To unleash the dogs.
(c) To step into the horse harness.
(d) To step into the shackles on the spring house.
5. What does John wrap around his toes before he leaves in Chapter 6?
(b) Plastic wrap.
(c) Raw cotton.
(d) Pork skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Sarny say that John is incapacitated after his punishment from Waller in the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. Why does John assert that the slaves must all learn to read and write in Chapter 4?
3. What description best describes the relationship between Sarny and John in the novel?
4. How does Waller punish Mammy after the slaves return from the fields in Chapter 5?
5. How many more nights does John say until he's gone when Mammy catches him teaching Sarny a new letter in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instructions does Mammy give to Sarny while she's at the spring house in Chapter 5?
2. How does Sarny describe the first day of John's recovery in Chapter 6?
3. What is the significance of Master Waller's public displays of punishment for the slaves in the novel?
4. How has the relationship between Mammy and John evolved by Chapter 6?
5. How does Waller discover that Sarny is learning to read and write in Chapter 5? How does he react?
6. How did Pawley die, according to the story related from Sarny in Chapter 4?
7. What element of the novel's plot structure is seen in Chapter 5?
8. How does Master Waller punish John after he has stepped forward in Chapter 5? How does John respond to his punishment?
9. How does Master Waller punish Mammy in Chapter 5? How do the other slaves respond to the abuse?
10. How was Pawley's disappearance discovered by Waller, according to Sarny in Chapter 4? Why was Pawley off the plantation?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)