|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Pawley find a girl he liked, according to Sarny's story in Chapter 4?
(a) In church.
(b) At a neighboring plantation.
(c) On the slave ship.
(d) In the city.
2. How many letters of the alphabet has Sarny learned at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What does Mammy tell Sarny to prepare to treat her wounds after she is whipped in Chapter 5?
(a) A needle and thread.
(b) Bark and herbs.
(c) Lotion and iodine.
(d) Rags and salt.
4. What must the slaves do whenever someone is punished at the spring house?
(a) Stand and watch.
(b) Plow the fields.
(d) Kneel and look away.
5. When John steps forward in Chapter 5, the narrator says, "Waller looked down at him the way a cat looks at a mouse caught in a corner." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(c) Biblical allusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarny say the master did when Alice was unwilling in the breeding shed in Chapter 4?
2. What does Mammy tell Sarny to bring to her as she makes her way to the slave quarters in the end of Chapter 5?
3. What is the stump used for that Waller orders one of the field hands to fetch in Chapter 5?
4. What place does Sarny describe in the end of Chapter 5?
5. What does Mammy assert that reading and writing will bring for the slaves in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Mammy and John evolved by Chapter 6?
2. How is John's departure described in Chapter 6? What does Sarny make of John's farewell?
3. What element of the novel's plot structure is seen in Chapter 5?
4. How did Pawley die, according to the story related from Sarny in Chapter 4?
5. What causes Master Waller to send Old Delie to the spring house in Chapter 5?
6. How does the relationship between Mammy and John change after John explains his past in Chapter 4?
7. How does Waller discover that Sarny is learning to read and write in Chapter 5? How does he react?
8. What is foreshadowed by Alice's treatment and abuse from Waller in Chapter 4?
9. What are Sarny's perceptions of Alice's whipping when she witnesses it in Chapter 4?
10. How does Mammy respond when Sarny runs to her at the spring house in Chapter 5?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)