|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mammy do when she first sees John teaching Sarny the letters of the alphabet in Chapter 4?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She hits him over the head.
(c) She calls the other slaves to watch.
(d) She runs and tells Mr. Waller.
2. What description best describes the relationship between Sarny and John in the novel?
3. What does Waller order the field hands to do when he is finished punishing John in Chapter 5?
(a) Get some boiled water and dip it in that.
(b) Get a rag and some grease on that.
(c) Rub salt into his wounds.
(d) Carry his body to the field and bury it.
4. What quality stands out the most in John's character?
5. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a noisy or disorderly group or gathering?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pawley find a girl he liked, according to Sarny's story in Chapter 4?
2. What does Mammy tell Sarny to bring to her as she makes her way to the slave quarters in the end of Chapter 5?
3. What must the slaves do whenever someone is punished at the spring house?
4. Sarny says in Chapter 5 that "They say if you can" do what that "you can work"?
5. What did the master do to Pawley for punishment after he was caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Master Waller's public displays of punishment for the slaves in the novel?
2. What element of the novel's plot structure is seen in Chapter 5?
3. What are Sarny's perceptions of Alice's whipping when she witnesses it in Chapter 4?
4. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 6? What does the reader expect to happen based on John's actions?
5. How does Master Waller punish John after he has stepped forward in Chapter 5? How does John respond to his punishment?
6. What is foreshadowed by Alice's treatment and abuse from Waller in Chapter 4?
7. How has the relationship between Mammy and John evolved by Chapter 6?
8. What happens after Alice's whipping in Chapter 4? How are Alice's wounds treated?
9. How is John's departure described in Chapter 6? What does Sarny make of John's farewell?
10. How does Mammy respond when Sarny runs to her at the spring house in Chapter 5?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)