|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Sarny always ask about the letters of the alphabet when John introduces them to her?
(a) What it feels like.
(b) Where the bottom is.
(c) What words it makes.
(d) Where the top is.
2. Why does Sarny say the slaves all know not to run in Chapter 4?
(a) Because nobody ever gets away.
(b) Because it is wrong.
(c) Because they love the master.
(d) Because there is nowhere to run to.
3. Where did Pawley find a girl he liked, according to Sarny's story in Chapter 4?
(a) At a neighboring plantation.
(b) In church.
(c) In the city.
(d) On the slave ship.
4. What word from Chapter 5 refers to the act of writing or marking carelessly?
5. What chore does Mammy tell Sarny to do while Mammy is hanging from the spring house in Chapter 5?
(a) To tend to the babies.
(b) To make breakfast.
(c) To paint the shed.
(d) To water the flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Waller kick Sarny when he finds her writing in Chapter 5?
2. How far does Sarny say Alice made it before she was caught in Chapter 4?
3. What does Mammy do after John explains the reasoning behind his motives in Chapter 4?
4. When was the first Fugitive Slave Act implemented in the United States requiring all escaped slaves to be returned to their masters?
5. What does Mammy ask John when she sees him teaching Sarny in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Master Waller to send Old Delie to the spring house in Chapter 5?
2. How has the relationship between Mammy and John evolved by Chapter 6?
3. How is Alice described in the beginning of Chapter 4? What is Sarny's relationship like with Alice?
4. How does Sarny describe the circumstances of the slaves in the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What leads up to Alice being being whipped by Waller in Chapter 4? How is her whipping described?
6. How does Sarny describe the first day of John's recovery in Chapter 6?
7. How did Pawley die, according to the story related from Sarny in Chapter 4?
8. What happens after Alice's whipping in Chapter 4? How are Alice's wounds treated?
9. How does the relationship between Mammy and John change after John explains his past in Chapter 4?
10. How is John's departure described in Chapter 6? What does Sarny make of John's farewell?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)