|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food item does Sarny bring to Mammy while she's strung up at the spring house in Chapter 5?
(a) A piece of cornbread.
(b) A bowl of oatmeal.
(c) A potato.
(d) A piece of bacon.
2. In the end of Chapter 6, Sarny says that John won't be coming back unless what happens?
(a) Waller has a change of heart.
(b) The dogs catch him.
(c) He remembers his promise to Mammy.
(d) He drowns in the river.
3. What does John say to Sarny before he leaves in Chapter 6?
(a) That she should come with him.
(b) That he is going to kill Waller.
(c) That he will be back.
(d) That he wishes her a good life.
4. Who is awake in the sleeping quarters when John escapes in Chapter 6?
(a) Alice, Sarny and John.
(b) John and Sarny.
(c) Mammy, Sarny, and John.
(d) Mammy and John.
5. What does Sarny make of John's departing statement in the end of Chapter 6?
(a) She believes he is lying.
(b) She believes he is just being hopeful.
(c) She believes he is telling the truth.
(d) She believes he is joking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Master Waller do when he finds Alice after she's run in Chapter 4?
2. How many more nights does John say until he's gone when Mammy catches him teaching Sarny a new letter in Chapter 6?
3. For how long does Sarny say that John is incapacitated after his punishment from Waller in the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What does John wrap around his toes before he leaves in Chapter 6?
5. What derogatory name does John refer to Master Waller as when Sarny tells him about Mammy in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Mammy and John evolved by Chapter 6?
2. How does Master Waller punish John after he has stepped forward in Chapter 5? How does John respond to his punishment?
3. What leads up to Alice being being whipped by Waller in Chapter 4? How is her whipping described?
4. What are Sarny's perceptions of Alice's whipping when she witnesses it in Chapter 4?
5. What does John teach Sarny in Chapter 6? How does Mammy respond when she observes this exchange?
6. How is Alice described in the beginning of Chapter 4? What is Sarny's relationship like with Alice?
7. How did Pawley die, according to the story related from Sarny in Chapter 4?
8. What is the significance of Master Waller's public displays of punishment for the slaves in the novel?
9. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 6? What does the reader expect to happen based on John's actions?
10. What happens after Alice's whipping in Chapter 4? How are Alice's wounds treated?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)