|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mammy says in Chapter 1 that Sarny's mother sold for the value of how many field hands?
2. What term refers to the movement to end slavery?
3. What kind of work does Sarny say she is not yet old enough to do on the plantation in Chapter 1?
(a) Yard work.
(b) Gathering eggs.
(c) Field work.
(d) Helping with the young ones.
4. What material does Mammy make John's pants from in Chapter 3?
5. To whom does Mammy pray when Sarny witnesses her in Chapter 2?
(a) Saint Mary.
(b) The Great Buddha.
(c) Lord Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century was the Atlantic slave established?
2. Sarny says of Mammy in Chapter 2, "She swore they could hear like cats up to the big house..." What literary device is used in this example?
3. Where has Sarny observed people reading prior to meeting John?
4. What does John offer to trade with the slaves in the sleeping quarters on his first night in Chapter 3?
5. By current estimates, approximately how many Africans were shipped across the Atlantic during the slave trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sarny describe the process of meals for the slaves at the plantation in Chapter 3?
2. How does Mr. Waller behave toward John as he brings him into the plantation in Chapter 3?
3. How is John's appearance described when he first arrives at the plantation in Chapter 3?
4. What was Mammy's response when she discovered Sarny copying the symbols from the grain sack into the dirt when she was a child? Why did she react in this manner?
5. What does Mammy measure on the sticks that she keeps for each child on the plantation? Why?
6. What does Sarny overhear from the white house while she works in Chapter 2?
7. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator directly involved in the action of the narrative?
8. What is significant about the animal imagery that is seen in Chapter 3?
9. Why were slaves forbidden education historically? How is this depicted in the novel?
10. What is the trade that John offers to make with Sarny in Chapter 3? How does Sarny feel about the offer?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)