|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the slave that raises Sarny?
(c) Old Delie.
2. What does Sarny compare the color of John's skin with in Chapter 3?
3. How does Sarny describe John's back when he arrives in Chapter 3?
(a) It is covered in scars.
(b) It is milky white.
(c) It is proud beneath his shirt.
(d) It is black and smooth.
4. What does John offer to trade with the slaves in the sleeping quarters on his first night in Chapter 3?
5. What is Mr. Waller's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Pennsylvania pass legislation to end slavery?
2. What refers to the laws in each U.S. state which defined the status of slaves and the rights of masters?
3. What does Sarny say is forbidden in the slaves' sleeping quarters in Chapter 3?
4. What were the "funny lines" that Sarny recalls seeing on the side of a feed sack in Chapter 3?
5. What historical figure "owned, raised, and subsequently used" the slave that the novel is dedicated to by the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery and/or symbolism is used in describing the slaves on the plantation in Chapter 2?
2. Why were slaves forbidden education historically? How is this depicted in the novel?
3. How is John's appearance described when he first arrives at the plantation in Chapter 3?
4. How does Sarny describe the process of meals for the slaves at the plantation in Chapter 3?
5. How does the author illustrate Sarny's only encounter with money in Chapter 2?
6. How is Sarny's birth and early childhood described in Chapter 1? Are Sarny's experiences common for slaves at this time?
7. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator directly involved in the action of the narrative?
8. How is Sarny's character introduced to the reader in Chapter 1? What does Sarny say brought Nightjohn to her?
9. What intrigues and inspires Sarny to want to learn to read and write? What risks does she take in doing so?
10. How is Sarny's relationship with Mammy illustrated in Chapter 1? How does Mammy feel about the other children she cares for?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)