|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does John say they run him in his first day in Chapter 3?
2. What is Mr. Waller's first name?
3. What substance does Sarny treat the flowers with in Chapter 2?
(a) Chemical pesticide.
(b) Tobacco juice.
4. How is John attired when he first arrives at the plantation in Chapter 3?
(a) He is wearing a cape.
(b) He is wearing canvas pants.
(c) He is wearing a night gown.
(d) He is nude.
5. Where does Sarny say she was when she first heard about Nightjohn in Chapter 1?
(a) In the flower beds.
(b) In the cotton fields.
(c) In the sleeping quarters.
(d) In the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sarny overhears the mistress of the plantation in Chapter 2, the mistress is complaining that her husband spends too much money buying slaves. What is she concerned that she will not have enough money to purchase due to her husband's overspending?
2. What kind of work does Sarny say she is not yet old enough to do on the plantation in Chapter 1?
3. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a person who manages slaves on a plantation?
4. What were the "funny lines" that Sarny recalls seeing on the side of a feed sack in Chapter 3?
5. What is the name of the slave that raises Sarny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is John's appearance described when he first arrives at the plantation in Chapter 3?
2. What does Sarny describe thinking about as the others sleep in the slave quarters at night in Chapter 1?
3. How would you describe the dialect and language style established in Chapter 1?
4. How does the author describe the regulations and rules regarding slaves and religion in Chapter 2?
5. What does Mammy measure on the sticks that she keeps for each child on the plantation? Why?
6. How does John behave toward the other slaves after his arrival in Chapter 3?
7. What is significant about the animal imagery that is seen in Chapter 3?
8. How is Sarny's birth and early childhood described in Chapter 1? Are Sarny's experiences common for slaves at this time?
9. What intrigues and inspires Sarny to want to learn to read and write? What risks does she take in doing so?
10. What job or jobs does Sarny do around the plantation in Chapter 1?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)