|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sarny demonstrate the "letters" that she discovered on the feed sack for John in Chapter 3?
(a) She writes it with a pen and paper.
(b) She scratches it into the tree.
(c) She etches it into the wooden door.
(d) She scratches it into the dirt floor.
2. Where has Sarny observed people reading prior to meeting John?
(a) In the white house.
(b) In town.
(c) At the slave market.
(d) At church.
3. When Sarny overhears the mistress of the plantation in Chapter 2, the mistress is complaining that her husband spends too much money buying slaves. What is she concerned that she will not have enough money to purchase due to her husband's overspending?
(a) A new house.
(c) Farm supplies.
4. What does John offer to trade with the slaves in the sleeping quarters on his first night in Chapter 3?
5. What did Sarny do with the coin that she found after showing it to Mammy?
(a) She gave it to Mr. Waller.
(b) She gave it to John.
(c) She hid it in the dirt.
(d) She swallowed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe Sarny's perception of life outside of the plantation in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Sarny say she was when she first heard about Nightjohn in Chapter 1?
3. Sarny states at the end of Chapter 2 that she knows the "people in the white house aren't richer" than whom?
4. What does John tell Sarny she will have to learn before she can learn to read in Chapter 3?
5. What refers to the laws in each U.S. state which defined the status of slaves and the rights of masters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sarny's character introduced to the reader in Chapter 1? What does Sarny say brought Nightjohn to her?
2. What is significant about the animal imagery that is seen in Chapter 3?
3. How would you describe the tone and mood of the novel as established in Chapter 1?
4. What is foreshadowed by Sarny's description of the penny that she once found in Chapter 2?
5. How does Sarny describe the process of meals for the slaves at the plantation in Chapter 3?
6. How is John's appearance described when he first arrives at the plantation in Chapter 3?
7. What job or jobs does Sarny do around the plantation in Chapter 1?
8. How does Sarny describe Mammy's method of praying in Chapter 2? Why does Mammy pray this way?
9. What imagery and/or symbolism is used in describing the slaves on the plantation in Chapter 2?
10. What does Sarny describe thinking about as the others sleep in the slave quarters at night in Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)