|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mammy tell Sarny to fetch as John is taken to the slave quarters after his punishment in Chapter 5?
(a) Boiling water.
2. What does Waller order John to do when he steps forward and confesses to teaching Sarny in Chapter 5?
(a) To unleash the dogs.
(b) To step into the shackles on the spring house.
(c) To pick out a switch to be beaten with.
(d) To step into the horse harness.
3. What sounds does John make while enduring Waller's punishment in Chapter 5?
(a) He screams.
(b) He makes no sound.
(c) He grunts.
(d) He sobs and cries.
4. What tools does Waller order one of the field hands to fetch from the blacksmith lean-to in Chapter 5?
(a) A rake and a baler.
(b) A shovel and a hoe.
(c) A chisel and a hammer.
(d) A branding iron and a horseshoe.
5. What material is the spring house made of at the plantation?
6. John tells Mammy in Chapter 6, "I don't get smarter. Just" what?
7. How many more nights does John say until he's gone when Mammy catches him teaching Sarny a new letter in Chapter 6?
(a) 3 nights.
(b) 5 nights.
(c) 2 nights.
(d) 4 nights.
8. What does Mammy ask John when she sees him teaching Sarny in Chapter 6?
(a) Can I call the others to look?
(b) Will you teach me too?
(c) Are you addled in the brain?
(d) What good will that do?
9. By what order does John teach Sarny to learn letters?
(a) Write the letter in upper, then lower-case.
(b) Make the sound, then the letter.
(c) Write the letter, and say a word with that letter.
(d) Write the letter, then write it in cursive.
10. Who were the people that captured John after he'd fled?
(a) Bounty hunters.
(b) Cotton traders.
(c) Bear hunters.
(d) Country lawmen.
11. Why does John assert that the slaves must all learn to read and write in Chapter 4?
(a) To read catalogs and order things.
(b) To write novels and buy their freedom.
(c) To read and understand the Bible.
(d) To write about what is being done to them.
12. What does John wrap around his toes before he leaves in Chapter 6?
(b) Raw cotton.
(c) Plastic wrap.
(d) Pork skin.
13. When John steps forward in Chapter 5, the narrator says, "Waller looked down at him the way a cat looks at a mouse caught in a corner." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(c) Biblical allusion.
14. What food item does Sarny bring to Mammy while she's strung up at the spring house in Chapter 5?
(a) A bowl of oatmeal.
(b) A potato.
(c) A piece of bacon.
(d) A piece of cornbread.
15. How long does Mammy suggest that John wait before running in order to heal in Chapter 6?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) A year.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mammy assert that reading and writing will bring for the slaves in Chapter 4?
2. When was the first Fugitive Slave Act implemented in the United States requiring all escaped slaves to be returned to their masters?
3. Where did Pawley find a girl he liked, according to Sarny's story in Chapter 4?
4. Who is awake in the sleeping quarters when John escapes in Chapter 6?
5. Where does John say he was when he was caught in Chapter 4?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)