|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far does Sarny say Alice made it before she was caught in Chapter 4?
(a) To the door of the sleeping quarters.
(b) The other end of the cotton fields.
(c) To the train station in town.
(d) Halfway to Pennsylvania.
2. For how long does Sarny say that John is incapacitated after his punishment from Waller in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) 1 night.
(b) 3 nights.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 2 weeks.
3. How long does Sarny say it took Waller and his dogs to catch Jim when he ran in Chapter 4?
(a) Three days.
(b) Half a day.
(c) A day and a half.
(d) Two days.
4. How did Jim die after he attempted escape?
(a) He was lynched.
(b) He was killed by Waller's dogs.
(c) He bled to death after castration.
(d) He was shot.
5. What does John do on the first night after his punishment from Waller in Chapter 6?
(a) He devises a plan for the slaves to revolt.
(b) He cries uncontrollably.
(c) He stares at the ceiling.
(d) He talks to Sarny about leaving.
6. What color does Sarny describe Waller's dogs as in Chapter 4?
7. What word from Chapter 5 refers to the act of writing or marking carelessly?
8. What place does Sarny describe in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) The cemetery.
(c) The North.
9. What does Mammy tell Sarny to fetch as John is taken to the slave quarters after his punishment in Chapter 5?
(b) Boiling water.
10. Why does John assert that the slaves must all learn to read and write in Chapter 4?
(a) To write about what is being done to them.
(b) To read catalogs and order things.
(c) To write novels and buy their freedom.
(d) To read and understand the Bible.
11. What must the slaves do whenever someone is punished at the spring house?
(b) Stand and watch.
(c) Plow the fields.
(d) Kneel and look away.
12. What does Sarny make of John's departing statement in the end of Chapter 6?
(a) She believes he is lying.
(b) She believes he is just being hopeful.
(c) She believes he is telling the truth.
(d) She believes he is joking.
13. What does Mammy make for Alice to drink after tending her wounds in Chapter 4?
(b) Molasses tea.
(c) Whiskey and water.
(d) Root tea.
14. What does Mammy do after John explains the reasoning behind his motives in Chapter 4?
(a) She hits John again.
(b) She calls for the master.
(c) She starts to cry.
(d) She returns to bed.
15. What does Mammy assert that reading and writing will bring for the slaves in Chapter 4?
(b) A record of history.
(c) A path to freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves are estimated to have escaped to freedom in American History?
2. In the end of Chapter 6, Sarny says that John won't be coming back unless what happens?
3. What is the first word that Sarny learns to write in Chapter 5?
4. By what order does John teach Sarny to learn letters?
5. What food item does Sarny bring to Mammy while she's strung up at the spring house in Chapter 5?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)