|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mammy assert that reading and writing will bring for the slaves in Chapter 4?
(b) A path to freedom.
(c) A record of history.
2. What quality stands out the most in John's character?
3. What does John wrap around his toes before he leaves in Chapter 6?
(a) Pork skin.
(b) Plastic wrap.
(c) Raw cotton.
4. What color does Sarny describe Waller's dogs as in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mammy respond when John flirts with her in Chapter 6?
(a) I don't got no interest in learning.
(b) I'm old enough to be your mother.
(c) I don't have nothing to do with whites.
(d) I'm young enough to be your daughter.
6. What description best describes the relationship between Sarny and John in the novel?
7. What must the slaves do whenever someone is punished at the spring house?
(a) Plow the fields.
(b) Stand and watch.
(c) Kneel and look away.
8. Where on the plantation does Waller keep his dogs?
(a) Inside the white house.
(b) In a stone pen by the horse barn.
(c) In a pit by the slave quarters.
(d) In a metal pen by the cotton fields.
9. What does Sarny make of John's departing statement in the end of Chapter 6?
(a) She believes he is just being hopeful.
(b) She believes he is telling the truth.
(c) She believes he is joking.
(d) She believes he is lying.
10. What does Mammy ask John when she sees him teaching Sarny in Chapter 6?
(a) Will you teach me too?
(b) Are you addled in the brain?
(c) Can I call the others to look?
(d) What good will that do?
11. What emotion does John's story about his past inspire in Mammy in Chapter 4?
12. In the end of Chapter 6, Sarny says that John won't be coming back unless what happens?
(a) He remembers his promise to Mammy.
(b) The dogs catch him.
(c) He drowns in the river.
(d) Waller has a change of heart.
13. For how long does Sarny say that John is incapacitated after his punishment from Waller in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) 3 nights.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 night.
(d) 1 week.
14. What does Mammy do when she first sees John teaching Sarny the letters of the alphabet in Chapter 4?
(a) She laughs at him.
(b) She hits him over the head.
(c) She calls the other slaves to watch.
(d) She runs and tells Mr. Waller.
15. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a noisy or disorderly group or gathering?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mammy tell Sarny to bring to her at the spring house when the master and others aren't looking in Chapter 5?
2. What creatures does Mammy remark upon when Sarny runs to her at the spring house in Chapter 5?
3. What does Waller order the field hands to do when he is finished punishing John in Chapter 5?
4. What is the first word that Sarny learns to write in Chapter 5?
5. What is "the next letter" that John introduces to Sarny on the second night of his recovery in Chapter 6?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)