|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name refers to a network of secret routes and safe houses used by slaves in the United States to escape to free states and Canada?
(a) The African Resistance.
(b) The Marked Passage.
(c) The Underground Railroad.
(d) The Freedom Train.
2. What does Mammy ask John when she sees him teaching Sarny in Chapter 6?
(a) Are you addled in the brain?
(b) Can I call the others to look?
(c) What good will that do?
(d) Will you teach me too?
3. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a noisy or disorderly group or gathering?
4. Sarny compares the sound of "the north" to listening to what sounds in Chapter 4?
(a) Cars and train whistles.
(b) Birds singing or wind in the trees.
(c) Distant thunder at night.
(d) Wolves and dogs howling.
5. How did Jim die after he attempted escape?
(a) He bled to death after castration.
(b) He was lynched.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He was killed by Waller's dogs.
6. Why does John assert that the slaves must all learn to read and write in Chapter 4?
(a) To write about what is being done to them.
(b) To read catalogs and order things.
(c) To read and understand the Bible.
(d) To write novels and buy their freedom.
7. When John steps forward in Chapter 5, the narrator says, "Waller looked down at him the way a cat looks at a mouse caught in a corner." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(c) Biblical allusion.
8. Where does Waller kick Sarny when he finds her writing in Chapter 5?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) In the groin.
(d) In the leg.
9. How far does Sarny say Alice made it before she was caught in Chapter 4?
(a) Halfway to Pennsylvania.
(b) To the door of the sleeping quarters.
(c) To the train station in town.
(d) The other end of the cotton fields.
10. What does Master Waller order Mammy to do after he has whipped Alice at the spring house in Chapter 4?
(a) To rub salt into her wounds.
(b) To hang a noose from the shed.
(c) To take her to the hospital.
(d) To call the police.
11. What quality stands out the most in John's character?
12. How does Sarny describe Alice's mental state in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) She was quiet but had seizures.
(b) She was mentally strong.
(c) She was addled in the head.
(d) She was deaf and dumb.
13. Where on the plantation does Waller keep his dogs?
(a) In a stone pen by the horse barn.
(b) In a metal pen by the cotton fields.
(c) In a pit by the slave quarters.
(d) Inside the white house.
14. What does Sarny say the master did when Alice was unwilling in the breeding shed in Chapter 4?
(a) He shot her.
(b) He let her work in the fields.
(c) He had her tied down and raped.
(d) He sold her.
15. What is the name of the field hand who assists in holding down John for his punishment in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Sarny always ask about the letters of the alphabet when John introduces them to her?
2. What chore does Mammy tell Sarny to do while Mammy is hanging from the spring house in Chapter 5?
3. What does John say to Sarny before he leaves in Chapter 6?
4. What place does Sarny describe in the end of Chapter 5?
5. What does Mammy tell Sarny to bring to her at the spring house when the master and others aren't looking in Chapter 5?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)