|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Master Waller do when he finds Alice after she's run in Chapter 4?
(a) He lets the dogs attack her.
(b) He hangs her.
(c) He hangs her on the spring house.
(d) He shoots her.
2. Sarny says in Chapter 5 that "They say if you can" do what that "you can work"?
(a) Eat solid food.
(b) Talk back to the master.
(c) Stand up.
(d) Walk to the fields.
3. What does Mammy do when she first sees John teaching Sarny the letters of the alphabet in Chapter 4?
(a) She calls the other slaves to watch.
(b) She runs and tells Mr. Waller.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She hits him over the head.
4. How many more nights does John say until he's gone when Mammy catches him teaching Sarny a new letter in Chapter 6?
(a) 2 nights.
(b) 3 nights.
(c) 4 nights.
(d) 5 nights.
5. In the end of Chapter 6, Sarny says that John won't be coming back unless what happens?
(a) Waller has a change of heart.
(b) He drowns in the river.
(c) The dogs catch him.
(d) He remembers his promise to Mammy.
6. How long does Sarny say it took Waller and his dogs to catch Jim when he ran in Chapter 4?
(a) A day and a half.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Half a day.
7. What does Mammy make for Alice to drink after tending her wounds in Chapter 4?
(a) Molasses tea.
(c) Root tea.
(d) Whiskey and water.
8. Who is awake in the sleeping quarters when John escapes in Chapter 6?
(a) Mammy and John.
(b) Alice, Sarny and John.
(c) John and Sarny.
(d) Mammy, Sarny, and John.
9. What word from Chapter 5 refers to the act of writing or marking carelessly?
10. Why does Sarny say the slaves all know not to run in Chapter 4?
(a) Because it is wrong.
(b) Because they love the master.
(c) Because there is nowhere to run to.
(d) Because nobody ever gets away.
11. What chore does Mammy tell Sarny to do while Mammy is hanging from the spring house in Chapter 5?
(a) To paint the shed.
(b) To water the flowers.
(c) To tend to the babies.
(d) To make breakfast.
12. What quality stands out the most in John's character?
13. What is the stump used for that Waller orders one of the field hands to fetch in Chapter 5?
(a) Chopping the heads off chickens.
(b) Painting the house.
(c) Hanging slaves.
(d) Chopping firewood.
14. What is Mammy doing when Sarny runs to her as she tries to escape Waller in Chapter 5?
(a) Cooking breakfast.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Tending Alice's wounds.
(d) Tending the flower bed.
15. What material is the spring house made of at the plantation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarny compares the sound of "the north" to listening to what sounds in Chapter 4?
2. What does John use on his makeshift shoes to throw the dogs' scent off in Chapter 6?
3. What does John make shoes from before he runs away in Chapter 6?
4. What does John do on the first night after his punishment from Waller in Chapter 6?
5. What color does Sarny describe Waller's dogs as in Chapter 4?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)