|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would you describe Sarny's perception of life outside of the plantation in Chapter 2?
(a) Sarny experienced a brutal life outside the plantation when she was bought by Mr. Waller.
(b) Sarny has no knowledge of life outside of the plantation.
(c) Sarny views life outside the plantation as harsher than life within the plantation.
(d) Sarny's experiences outside the plantation have led her to desire freedom.
2. What is Mr. Waller's first name?
3. How old is Sarny in Chapter 1?
4. To whom does Mammy pray when Sarny witnesses her in Chapter 2?
(a) Saint Mary.
(b) The Great Buddha.
(c) Lord Jesus.
5. What does Sarny say they pour down the trough in the mornings for the slaves in Chapter 3?
6. What had Mammy done when Sarny copied the letters from the feed sack in the dirt when she was younger?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She praised her.
(c) She smacked her.
(d) She told Waller.
7. What major theme of the novel emerges in Chapter 3?
(a) Longing and forbidden love.
(b) Political corruption.
(c) The importance of literacy.
(d) The pain of betrayal.
8. What does John tell Sarny she will have to learn before she can learn to read in Chapter 3?
(a) How to count.
(b) How to be quiet.
(c) The alphabet.
(d) The rules of grammar.
9. Where are the flower beds described that Sarny tends from time to time in Chapter 1?
(a) In the front entrance to the slave quarters.
(b) Below the big window on the white house.
(c) By the roadside under the elm tree.
(d) In the back garden of the slave quarters.
10. What term refers to efforts toward procuring economic and social rights, political rights or equality, often for a specifically disenfranchised group?
11. In what year did the United States Congress pass a Slave Trade Act which prohibited the building or outfitting of ships in the U.S. for use in the slave trade?
12. How does Sarny describe Mrs. Waller's sister in Chapter 2?
(a) Proud and beautiful.
(b) Dried up and mean.
(c) Soft spoken and meek.
(d) Gentle and kind.
13. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a gourd used for eating or drinking?
14. What does John offer to trade with the slaves in the sleeping quarters on his first night in Chapter 3?
15. What does Sarny think about when she finally lays down in bed at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The letter A.
(c) Mrs. Waller's dog.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What material does Mammy make John's pants from in Chapter 3?
2. How old was Sarny when her birth mother was sold?
3. What does Sarny say that the slaves call the master and mistress when they are in the slave quarters and out of hearing in Chapter 2?
4. Mammy says in Chapter 1 that Sarny's mother sold for the value of how many field hands?
5. How would you describe the treatment of the slaves on Waller's plantation?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)