|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does John say they run him in his first day in Chapter 3?
2. How is John attired when he first arrives at the plantation in Chapter 3?
(a) He is wearing a night gown.
(b) He is nude.
(c) He is wearing canvas pants.
(d) He is wearing a cape.
3. What does Mammy pray for when Sarny witnesses her praying in Chapter 2?
(b) A husband.
(d) A child.
4. How old was Sarny when her birth mother was sold?
5. What does Sarny say they pour down the trough in the mornings for the slaves in Chapter 3?
6. Mammy says in Chapter 1 that Sarny's mother sold for the value of how many field hands?
7. When did Pennsylvania pass legislation to end slavery?
8. Sarny says of Mammy in Chapter 2, "She swore they could hear like cats up to the big house..." What literary device is used in this example?
9. What word used in Chapter 3 refers to the process of preparing corn for eating?
10. From what device do Sarny and the other slaves eat their meals at the plantation?
(a) From a long table.
(b) From a grill.
(c) From a cauldron.
(d) From a trough.
11. What term refers to efforts toward procuring economic and social rights, political rights or equality, often for a specifically disenfranchised group?
12. Where does Sarny say she was when she first heard about Nightjohn in Chapter 1?
(a) In the flower beds.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In the sleeping quarters.
(d) In the cotton fields.
13. What does John cover in his first "lesson" with Sarny in Chapter 3?
(a) The letter A.
(b) The number 1.
(c) The period.
(d) The question mark.
14. Where does Sarny demonstrate the "letters" that she discovered on the feed sack for John in Chapter 3?
(a) She etches it into the wooden door.
(b) She scratches it into the tree.
(c) She scratches it into the dirt floor.
(d) She writes it with a pen and paper.
15. How old is Sarny in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, Sarny says that some believed she brought Nightjohn to the plantation by what manner?
2. What kind of coin does Sarny describe finding in the dirt in Chapter 2?
3. What sound does Sarny compare John's laughter to in Chapter 3?
4. Sarny states at the end of Chapter 2 that she knows the "people in the white house aren't richer" than whom?
5. What does Sarny remark about her birth in Chapter 1?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)