|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Sarny when her birth mother was sold?
2. How old is Sarny in Chapter 1?
3. What does Sarny remark about her birth in Chapter 1?
(a) She came out backwards.
(b) She was born deaf.
(c) She was born premature.
(d) She was born blind.
4. What is the name of the slave that raises Sarny?
(c) Old Delie.
5. What refers to the laws in each U.S. state which defined the status of slaves and the rights of masters?
(a) Abolition laws.
(b) Penance practices.
(c) Masterly rules.
(d) Slave codes.
6. What substance does Sarny equate the color of her skin with in Chapter 3?
(b) Brown sugar.
(d) Sassafras tea.
7. How much money does Mrs. Waller say that her husband just spent on a new hand in Chapter 2?
(a) Over $1,000.
(b) Under $100.
(c) About $10,000.
(d) About $500.
8. What kind of coin does Sarny describe finding in the dirt in Chapter 2?
(a) A penny.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A dime.
(d) A quarter.
9. What is Mr. Waller's first name?
10. What does Sarny enjoy doing every evening after the slaves eat?
(a) Drawing pictures in the sand in the chicken shed.
(b) Singing songs that she learned in church.
(c) Laying in bed thinking about what she's learned.
(d) Playing a harmonica that she found in town.
11. In what century was the Atlantic slave established?
(a) The 16th century.
(b) The 18th century.
(c) The 17th century.
(d) The 15th century.
12. How many miles does John say they run him in his first day in Chapter 3?
13. In what year did the United States Congress pass a Slave Trade Act which prohibited the building or outfitting of ships in the U.S. for use in the slave trade?
14. What is John's response when Sarny asks him in Chapter 3, "Why they be cutting our thumbs off if we learn to read--if that's all it is?"
(a) Cause it says so in the Bible.
(b) Cause they worried that we'll start talking like them.
(c) Cause they think we're too dumb to learn.
(d) Cause to know things, for us to know things, is bad for them.
15. How does Sarny describe the financial circumstances of the master's family in Chapter 2?
(a) They have gone bankrupt.
(b) They are rich.
(c) They are struggling after the war.
(d) They are poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarny says of Mammy in Chapter 2, "She swore they could hear like cats up to the big house..." What literary device is used in this example?
2. Mammy says in Chapter 1 that Sarny's mother sold for the value of how many field hands?
3. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a person who manages slaves on a plantation?
4. What is Sarny doing when the master arrives with John in Chapter 3?
5. What kind of flowers is Sarny working on in the flower bed in the beginning of Chapter 2?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)