|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mrs. Waller's sister?
2. What is Mrs. Waller's first name?
3. What is Mr. Waller's first name?
4. What term refers to the movement to end slavery?
5. How does Sarny describe the financial circumstances of the master's family in Chapter 2?
(a) They are rich.
(b) They are poor.
(c) They have gone bankrupt.
(d) They are struggling after the war.
6. What were the "funny lines" that Sarny recalls seeing on the side of a feed sack in Chapter 3?
(d) 100 lbs.
7. In what year did the United States Congress pass a Slave Trade Act which prohibited the building or outfitting of ships in the U.S. for use in the slave trade?
8. From what device do Sarny and the other slaves eat their meals at the plantation?
(a) From a trough.
(b) From a cauldron.
(c) From a long table.
(d) From a grill.
9. In what century was the Atlantic slave established?
(a) The 17th century.
(b) The 15th century.
(c) The 16th century.
(d) The 18th century.
10. What kind of flowers is Sarny working on in the flower bed in the beginning of Chapter 2?
11. What word used in Chapter 3 refers to the process of preparing corn for eating?
12. How does Mammy notate the ages of the slave children that she raises?
(a) By marking notches on sticks.
(b) By scratching marks on the floor.
(c) By collecting pebbles in a jar.
(d) By putting stakes in the ground.
13. What did Sarny do with the coin that she found after showing it to Mammy?
(a) She hid it in the dirt.
(b) She swallowed it.
(c) She gave it to Mr. Waller.
(d) She gave it to John.
14. What does Sarny say her last name is in Chapter 1?
15. When did the U.S. Congress outlaw the importation of slaves?
(a) July 7, 1800.
(b) March 26, 1865.
(c) January 1, 1808.
(d) April 12, 1799.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarny describe John's back when he arrives in Chapter 3?
2. Sarny states at the end of Chapter 2 that she knows the "people in the white house aren't richer" than whom?
3. What kind of coin does Sarny describe finding in the dirt in Chapter 2?
4. What does John tell Sarny she will have to learn before she can learn to read in Chapter 3?
5. How much money does Mrs. Waller say that her husband just spent on a new hand in Chapter 2?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)