|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Master Waller order Mammy to do after he has whipped Alice at the spring house in Chapter 4?
(a) To take her to the hospital.
(b) To call the police.
(c) To rub salt into her wounds.
(d) To hang a noose from the shed.
2. What is the name of the field hand who assists in holding down John for his punishment in Chapter 5?
3. What does Waller order the field hands to do when he is finished punishing John in Chapter 5?
(a) Rub salt into his wounds.
(b) Carry his body to the field and bury it.
(c) Get a rag and some grease on that.
(d) Get some boiled water and dip it in that.
4. What word used in Chapter 3 refers to the process of preparing corn for eating?
5. Where did Pawley find a girl he liked, according to Sarny's story in Chapter 4?
(a) At a neighboring plantation.
(b) In the city.
(c) In church.
(d) On the slave ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sarny in Chapter 1?
2. What does Sarny say is forbidden in the slaves' sleeping quarters in Chapter 3?
3. What does Sarny recall Mammy telling her to do with the coin that she found in the dirt in Chapter 2?
4. What derogatory name does John refer to Master Waller as when Sarny tells him about Mammy in Chapter 5?
5. What does Mammy tell Sarny to fetch as John is taken to the slave quarters after his punishment in Chapter 5?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)