|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does mammy say Sarny's birth mother was sold in Chapter 1?
(a) She was a good house maid.
(b) She was a good midwife.
(c) She was a good breeder.
(d) She was a good cotton-picker.
2. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a person who manages slaves on a plantation?
3. How does Sarny describe John's back when he arrives in Chapter 3?
(a) It is milky white.
(b) It is proud beneath his shirt.
(c) It is black and smooth.
(d) It is covered in scars.
4. What does Sarny say her last name is in Chapter 1?
5. What historical figure "owned, raised, and subsequently used" the slave that the novel is dedicated to by the author?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Sarny observed people reading prior to meeting John?
2. What does Sarny say is forbidden in the slaves' sleeping quarters in Chapter 3?
3. What did Sarny do with the coin that she found after showing it to Mammy?
4. Where does Sarny demonstrate the "letters" that she discovered on the feed sack for John in Chapter 3?
5. Sarny says of Mammy in Chapter 2, "She swore they could hear like cats up to the big house..." What literary device is used in this example?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)