|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work does Sarny say she is not yet old enough to do on the plantation in Chapter 1?
(a) Helping with the young ones.
(b) Yard work.
(c) Gathering eggs.
(d) Field work.
2. Sarny says of Mammy in Chapter 2, "She swore they could hear like cats up to the big house..." What literary device is used in this example?
3. How many miles does John say they run him in his first day in Chapter 3?
4. How would you describe the treatment of the slaves on Waller's plantation?
(a) The slaves are treated compassionately.
(b) The slaves are treated like animals.
(c) The slaves are treated like treasured valuables.
(d) The slaves are treated like kings.
5. How would you describe Sarny's perception of life outside of the plantation in Chapter 2?
(a) Sarny experienced a brutal life outside the plantation when she was bought by Mr. Waller.
(b) Sarny views life outside the plantation as harsher than life within the plantation.
(c) Sarny has no knowledge of life outside of the plantation.
(d) Sarny's experiences outside the plantation have led her to desire freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What substance does Sarny equate the color of her skin with in Chapter 3?
2. What is John's response when Sarny asks him in Chapter 3, "Why they be cutting our thumbs off if we learn to read--if that's all it is?"
3. What does Sarny say is forbidden in the slaves' sleeping quarters in Chapter 3?
4. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a gourd used for eating or drinking?
5. What historical figure "owned, raised, and subsequently used" the slave that the novel is dedicated to by the author?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)