|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Sarny when her birth mother was sold?
2. What is the name of the slave that raises Sarny?
(d) Old Delie.
3. What historical figure "owned, raised, and subsequently used" the slave that the novel is dedicated to by the author?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Robert E. Lee.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. By current estimates, approximately how many Africans were shipped across the Atlantic during the slave trade?
(a) 20 million.
(b) 12 million.
(c) 5 million.
(d) 7 million.
5. What does Sarny enjoy doing every evening after the slaves eat?
(a) Singing songs that she learned in church.
(b) Laying in bed thinking about what she's learned.
(c) Drawing pictures in the sand in the chicken shed.
(d) Playing a harmonica that she found in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Partus sequitur ventrem" was a legal doctrine adopted widely into the laws of slavery in the American colonies. What did this law dictate?
2. Where are the flower beds described that Sarny tends from time to time in Chapter 1?
3. How does Mammy notate the ages of the slave children that she raises?
4. What is Mr. Waller's first name?
5. In whose memory is Nightjohn dedicated by the author in the opening pages?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)