|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the United States Congress pass a Slave Trade Act which prohibited the building or outfitting of ships in the U.S. for use in the slave trade?
2. What does the author assert about the events in the story at the opening of the novel?
(a) The events are true except for variation in time and character identification.
(b) The events in the story are loosely based on events that occurred in Cleveland, Mississippi, in 1861.
(c) The events in the story are satirical.
(d) The events in the story are purely from the imagination of the author and not based on any historical people.
3. How many slaves are estimated to have escaped to freedom in American History?
(a) Two million.
(b) Sixty thousand.
(c) One million.
(d) Half a million.
4. What does Master Waller do when he finds Alice after she's run in Chapter 4?
(a) He hangs her.
(b) He lets the dogs attack her.
(c) He shoots her.
(d) He hangs her on the spring house.
5. What does Mammy respond when John flirts with her in Chapter 6?
(a) I'm young enough to be your daughter.
(b) I'm old enough to be your mother.
(c) I don't have nothing to do with whites.
(d) I don't got no interest in learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the laws in each U.S. state which defined the status of slaves and the rights of masters?
2. Where does Sarny say she was when she first heard about Nightjohn in Chapter 1?
3. "Partus sequitur ventrem" was a legal doctrine adopted widely into the laws of slavery in the American colonies. What did this law dictate?
4. What does John make shoes from before he runs away in Chapter 6?
5. How does Mammy notate the ages of the slave children that she raises?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)