|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what device do Sarny and the other slaves eat their meals at the plantation?
(a) From a cauldron.
(b) From a trough.
(c) From a grill.
(d) From a long table.
2. What does Sarny enjoy doing every evening after the slaves eat?
(a) Singing songs that she learned in church.
(b) Playing a harmonica that she found in town.
(c) Laying in bed thinking about what she's learned.
(d) Drawing pictures in the sand in the chicken shed.
3. How does Sarny describe Mrs. Waller's sister in Chapter 2?
(a) Dried up and mean.
(b) Gentle and kind.
(c) Proud and beautiful.
(d) Soft spoken and meek.
4. What kind of work does Sarny say she is not yet old enough to do on the plantation in Chapter 1?
(a) Gathering eggs.
(b) Helping with the young ones.
(c) Yard work.
(d) Field work.
5. Sarny states at the end of Chapter 2 that she knows the "people in the white house aren't richer" than whom?
(b) The President.
(c) My father.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mammy pray when Sarny witnesses her in Chapter 2?
2. How old is Sarny in Chapter 1?
3. By current estimates, approximately how many Africans were shipped across the Atlantic during the slave trade?
4. How would you describe the treatment of the slaves on Waller's plantation?
5. What does the author assert about the events in the story at the opening of the novel?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)