|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sarny describe the financial circumstances of the master's family in Chapter 2?
(a) They are rich.
(b) They have gone bankrupt.
(c) They are poor.
(d) They are struggling after the war.
2. What euphemism does Sarny use to describe menstruation in Chapter 1?
(a) The trouble.
(c) The spots.
(d) Aunt Mary.
3. What term refers to the movement to end slavery?
4. How does Mammy notate the ages of the slave children that she raises?
(a) By putting stakes in the ground.
(b) By marking notches on sticks.
(c) By collecting pebbles in a jar.
(d) By scratching marks on the floor.
5. In what century was the Atlantic slave established?
(a) The 18th century.
(b) The 16th century.
(c) The 17th century.
(d) The 15th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Partus sequitur ventrem" was a legal doctrine adopted widely into the laws of slavery in the American colonies. What did this law dictate?
2. What historical figure "owned, raised, and subsequently used" the slave that the novel is dedicated to by the author?
3. What kind of work does Sarny say she is not yet old enough to do on the plantation in Chapter 1?
4. To whom does Mammy pray when Sarny witnesses her in Chapter 2?
5. What does Sarny remark about her birth in Chapter 1?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)