|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the master do to Pawley for punishment after he was caught?
(a) He hung him.
(b) He shot him.
(c) He castrated him.
(d) He cut off his toes.
2. In whose memory is Nightjohn dedicated by the author in the opening pages?
(a) In Sally Hemings' memory.
(b) In Frederick Douglass's memory.
(c) In John Brown's memory.
(d) In Harriet Tubman's memory.
3. Sarny states at the end of Chapter 2 that she knows the "people in the white house aren't richer" than whom?
(b) My father.
(d) The President.
4. How far does Sarny say Alice made it before she was caught in Chapter 4?
(a) To the train station in town.
(b) To the door of the sleeping quarters.
(c) Halfway to Pennsylvania.
(d) The other end of the cotton fields.
5. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a gourd used for eating or drinking?
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does John's story about his past inspire in Mammy in Chapter 4?
2. What does John offer to trade with the slaves in the sleeping quarters on his first night in Chapter 3?
3. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a ring or fastening of iron or wood used for securing the wrist, ankle, etc.?
4. What does the author assert about the events in the story at the opening of the novel?
5. What historical figure "owned, raised, and subsequently used" the slave that the novel is dedicated to by the author?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)