|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8 (Pages 99 Ã‚â€“ 106).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What finally convinces Elie to give in to the foreman's demand?
(a) The foreman's continual abuse of Elie's father.
(b) Getting out of solitary confinement.
(c) Tiring of personal abuse from the foreman.
(d) Getting on the good side of the camp commander.
2. Where does Moshe the Beadle work?
(a) He works with Elie's father.
(b) He works at a Hasidic synagogue.
(c) He does not have a job.
(d) He teaches religion at a high school.
3. Where is Sighet?
4. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
(a) He can set out on his own and risk being shot.
(b) He can stay behind in the hospital with his father or he can evacuate with the rest of the prisoners.
(c) He can join the Russian army.
(d) He can hide in an air raid shelter until the Russians have left the camp.
5. Several months after Moshe the Beadle and the other foreign Jews were deported, what happens to life in Sighet?
(a) The town becomes crime-ridden and economically depressed.
(b) Virtually everyone leaves Sighet.
(c) Life returns to normal.
(d) The community leaders plan a large celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Auschwitz mean to the occupants of the cattle car?
2. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
3. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
4. What is the condition of the main synagogue when Elie's group reaches it?
5. What does Elie struggle to do when he finds himself in the deserted village?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)