|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6 (Pages 81 92).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction of the person Elie spoke to at the event that reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) The person tells Elie to mind his own business.
(b) The person tries to stab Elie.
(c) The person completely ignores Elie.
(d) The person thinks it is an act of charity.
2. In chapter 3, what happens to the Jews at Birkenau once they leave the train?
(a) The men and women are separated.
(b) They are given food and water.
(c) They are sent directly to hard labor in a rock quarry.
(d) The children and adults are separated.
3. What do the prisoners receive the night before Rosh Hashanah, the last day of the Jewish year?
(a) Nothing-they were being punished for observing a Jewish holiday.
(b) Nothing-their religion prohibits them from eating on this day.
(c) Thick soup.
(d) A crust of bread.
4. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(b) They are forced to run laps.
(c) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(d) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
5. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
(a) They are sent to the crematory.
(b) The prisoners are required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(c) Those selected are released from camp, then shot.
(d) The new prisoners must take care of the chimney.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they are shown the chimney at Birkenau, what is the crowd's reaction?
2. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
3. How does Elie feel that he should have handled the results of his father asking about the washroom?
4. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
5. What can Elie do when rumors start that the Russians are approaching the camp?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)