|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6 (Pages 81 92).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the SS officers do to the prisoners the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) They force them to march on a five mile hike.
(b) The SS officers make them watch the chimney.
(c) They brand them with numbers.
(d) They withhold their food and water.
2. What is Elie's reaction to the event he witnesses later in life which reminds him of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners?
(a) He stares, shocked and horrified, without saying a word.
(b) He offers to give money.
(c) He tries to keep the children from hurting each other.
(d) He begs a participant not to do this any more.
3. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
(a) They are sent to the crematory.
(b) The prisoners are required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(c) The new prisoners must take care of the chimney.
(d) Those selected are released from camp, then shot.
4. What does the chimney represent for the prisoners?
5. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
(a) They formulate a plan for escape.
(b) They try to figure out who among them will go to the crematory.
(c) They try to determine a reason for their suffering.
(d) They discuss their jobs in the camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elie see in the flames of the crematory?
2. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
3. At Birkenau, what does the fellow prisoner tell Elie and his father to do?
4. What is the lie that Elie tells to the man looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
5. How does "selection" work?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)