|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6 (Pages 81 92).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
(a) He is selected.
(b) He is to be released from the camp.
(c) He is not selected.
(d) He begins his new job in the kitchen.
2. At Birkenau, what does the fellow prisoner tell Elie and his father to do?
(a) He tells them to lie about their ages.
(b) He tells them to be sure to tell the truth about their ages.
(c) He tells them to keep their eyes averted downward at all times.
(d) He tells them to smile.
3. What is the condition of the prisoners who took shelter in the deserted village as they travel to the concentration camp?
4. Why does Elie lie to the man who is looking for his family?
(a) Elie thought he was telling the truth.
(b) He is afraid of the man.
(c) He wants to give hope to the man.
(d) He is afraid the guards will punish them for talking, so he tries to make the man leave quickly.
5. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners does Elie witness later in life?
(a) People diving and fighting for coins thrown by passengers of a boat.
(b) A group of homeless people drawing straws to see who gets a threadbare scarf.
(c) Children pushing and shoving to pick up candy thrown by a street performer.
(d) Guards stoning a prisoner at a penitentiary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In particular, what part of the occurrence which Elie witnesses later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners causes his reaction?
2. When Elie's father asks directions to the washroom, what happens to him?
3. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
4. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
5. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)