|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 (Pages 93 98).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Jews sleep the first night in the prison block at Auschwitz?
(a) They are awoken every hour for roll call.
(b) They are not permitted to sleep.
(c) They sleep soundly.
(d) They sleep restlessly.
2. Why is the event on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village occurring?
(a) Elie doesn't know.
(b) Bodies are piled on top of him.
(c) Elie is selected.
(d) He is accused of stealing food.
3. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
(a) It means Elie's father now works in the kitchen.
(b) It is a secret code between Elie and his father.
(c) It shows how little they have.
(d) It means there will be a prayer meeting tonight behind the kitchen.
4. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A man who tries to take Elie from the wagon.
(b) The rabbi who prays for Elie.
(c) A guard who helps Elie.
(d) He helps Elie.
5. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
(a) He knows he is strong and healthy so he is not concerned.
(b) He doesn't want to begin a new job.
(c) He refuses to take part.
(d) He is worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "selection"?
2. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
3. According to Elie, what does indifference do to the spirit?
4. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
5. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)