|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 (Pages 93 98).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
(a) They are sent to the crematory.
(b) Those selected are released from camp, then shot.
(c) The prisoners are required to begin their new jobs immediately.
(d) The new prisoners must take care of the chimney.
2. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
(a) It means there will be a prayer meeting tonight behind the kitchen.
(b) It means Elie's father now works in the kitchen.
(c) It shows how little they have.
(d) It is a secret code between Elie and his father.
3. What does Meir Katz, another prisoner, do when Elie calls for help on the trip to the concentration camp after staying in the deserted village?
(a) A man who tries to take Elie from the wagon.
(b) He helps Elie.
(c) The rabbi who prays for Elie.
(d) A guard who helps Elie.
4. In chapter 5, what happens to Elie's leg?
(a) It is amputated.
(b) It is severely injured at work.
(c) It is broken during a fight.
(d) It swells.
5. Why does Elie return the knife and spoon to his father?
(a) It continues the secret code between father and son.
(b) His father needs something to remind him of Elie until the result of his selection occurs.
(c) It reinforces the fact that his father was not selected.
(d) His father needs them to work in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "selection" work?
2. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
3. What is "selection"?
4. What does Elie need to do because of his leg?
5. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)