|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6 (Pages 81 92).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the prisoners forced to do in the first prison block when they arrive at Auschwitz?
(a) They are ordered to clean the entire prison block, top to bottom.
(b) They must stand in formation for over an hour.
(c) They are forced to shower and then shiver and wait in the cold night.
(d) They are forced to run laps.
2. In order to give themselves hope, what do Elie and his father pretend after spending several weeks in Auschwitz?
(a) They pretend that they are on a secret mission.
(b) They pretend that this experience is just a bad dream and that they will both wake up soon.
(c) They pretend that they are not frightened.
(d) They pretend that Elie's mother and sister survive.
3. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Elie's number is called.
(b) Both Elie and his father are called.
(c) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
(d) Elie's father's number is called.
4. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A waterspout.
(c) A tidal wave.
(d) A whirlpool.
5. What is the lie that Elie tells to the man looking for Wiesel of Sighat?
(a) Elie tells the man that he saw them in the flames of the chimney.
(b) Elie tells the man that they are at another camp.
(c) Elie tells the man that his mother knows his family is safe.
(d) Elie tells him that his family hasn't been heard from.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to prisoners who are selected?
2. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
3. How does Elie's father fare in the first round of the selection process?
4. In particular, what part of the occurrence which Elie witnesses later in life reminiscent of the workman throwing bread to the prisoners causes his reaction?
5. What scene similar to that of the workman throwing the bread to the prisoners does Elie witness later in life?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)