|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 (Pages 93 98).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 5, what happens when Dr. Mengele calls out numbers for another round of selection?
(a) Elie's number is called.
(b) Both Elie and his father are called.
(c) Neither Elie nor his father is called.
(d) Elie's father's number is called.
2. What is "selection"?
(a) The process of choosing who is released from the camp.
(b) The process of selecting new prisoners to enter the camp.
(c) The process of separating the healthy from the weak.
(d) The process of selecting prisoners for new jobs.
3. What happens after this round of selection in which Elie's father's number is called?
(a) Elie's father is not selected.
(b) Elie's father begins his new job in the kitchen.
(c) Elie's father is selected.
(d) Elie's father is to be released from the camp.
4. What do Elie and his father decide to do after hearing that the Russians may be approaching the camp?
(a) They choose to evacuate.
(b) Elie chooses to join the Russian army.
(c) They choose to hide in an air raid shelter.
(d) They choose to remain in the hospital.
5. What is Elie's reaction to the thick soup offered to him the day after arriving at Auschwitz?
(a) He refuses to eat it.
(b) He eagerly consumes it.
(c) He throws it back at the server.
(d) He eats it, then vomits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Elie's feelings about selection?
2. In chapter 7, to what natural phenomenon does Elie compare his brain?
3. In chapter 3, what do the prisoners discuss after a few weeks in the camp?
4. What is the importance of the knife and spoon given to Elie by his father?
5. In chapter 7, to what does Elie compare humans?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)