|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Andres died of that Khristo learns about from the person he meets in the bookstore?
2. What happens to citizens in France when independent acts of writing are found?
3. Where is Khristo in 1937?
4. What do Eisenbaugh's squad disable, preventing critical transportation?
5. Who helps the prisoner get out of the French prison in 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Khristo escape the French prison and go to Cambra?
2. What does Khristo love about his life in Paris?
3. How is life in Paris very different from that of Bulgaria for Khristo?
4. How does Omaraeff die?
5. Why is Khristo popular in Paris at the restaurant?
6. Why does Robert keep his mission secret when he returns to New York?
7. Why do the local police change the way they view immigrants in Paris?
8. Why does Robert want to change careers in 1941?
9. How does Khristo maintain his training in Paris?
10. What are some forms or acts of sabotage performed by the resistance fighters in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Furst choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Hitler built an empire that stretched across Europe. Compare and contrast Hitler's empire and ambitions with that of Stalin or Mussolini.
Essay Topic 3
Furst uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)