|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is needed to help the wounded resistance workers after the surprise encounter with a German officer?
2. Who spends many hours teaching the resistance group how to fight and how to survive?
3. Who does Khristo realize has taken away his girlfriend from the apartment?
4. In December of 1941, what does Robert work as in New York City?
5. What two governments are on good terms and uneasy with Fitzware's disclosures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert want to change careers in 1941?
2. How do the Germans offer retribution to the French resistance and civilians for acts of sabotage?
3. Why does Khristo feel alone from both the women he loves while in prison?
4. How does Robert get a job with the OSS?
5. How does Khristo discover that his girlfriend has been kidnapped in Paris?
6. Why do the local police change the way they view immigrants in Paris?
7. What happens when Daniel and La Brebis are badly injured in a surprise encounter with a German officer?
8. Why did Khristo change his name in camp?
9. What does Sascha do in Siberia while he is imprisoned?
10. How does Khristo escape the French prison and go to Cambra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Furst describes murder in numerous instances. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result?
Essay Topic 2
Furst employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey powerful imagery and ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Both Khristov and Robert are important characters that influence each other and Soviet spy operations.
Part 1) Compare Khristov to Robert. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Khristov offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Robert offers revealing intelligence that is used later by Soviet agents. What is implied in this choice?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)