|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are badly injured in a surprise encounter with a German officer and who is out birdwatching with his guard?
2. What is buried in the ground to resemble mines and thus fool the Germans?
3. With whom is Robert at a sporting event when he hears an announcement on the loud speaker about war?
4. What does Robert's friend offer him after they attend the sporting event?
5. Who plans on using the secret records as a ticket to freedom from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Khristo discover that his girlfriend has been kidnapped in Paris?
2. How do the Germans offer retribution to the French resistance and civilians for acts of sabotage?
3. What does Khristo learn from Goldman that makes him no longer want to be a spy?
4. Why is Khristo popular in Paris at the restaurant?
5. How does Robert's team wreck havoc on the Germans?
6. What does Khristo love about his life in Paris?
7. How does Khristo learn about Faye Burns again when he is working in Switzerland?
8. Why does Robert keep his mission secret when he returns to New York?
9. Why do the local police change the way they view immigrants in Paris?
10. Why does Khristo feel alone from both the women he loves while in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Khristov and Robert are important characters that influence each other and Soviet spy operations.
Part 1) Compare Khristov to Robert. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Khristov offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Robert offers revealing intelligence that is used later by Soviet agents. What is implied in this choice?
Essay Topic 2
Night Soldiers is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. Why do you think Furst named the book Night Soldiers? Now that you have read the book, how does that alter your understanding of the title? Are you intrigued to find a sequel or more adventure with Khristo? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)