|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town in Spain do the Soviets arrive?
2. While they are on guard duty, who do the resistance workers see attacking the city of Madrid?
3. What kind of pilot is Luders?
4. Who carves some letters and numbers into the train for the Brotherhood front?
5. What will Antipin's companion be training to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Khristo's experience studying in Moscow initially before he meets Sascha?
2. What does Kulic do when he receives a note to kill four of his men?
3. How is Sascha lured to Moscow and tortured by Soviets?
4. What happens when an old fisherman appear at the house that burned in Vidin?
5. What does Faye do when she sees the blue light lantern?
6. How do the military officers respond when Nikko and Khristo laughing at them?
7. What does Khristo learn along the way to Moscow with Antipin?
8. How does Khristo prove that he is a spy to Sascha?
9. Why is Andres allowed to still work in San Ximene?
10. How does Khristo and his friends in Madrid escape Matsaev but get captured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Night Soldiers is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Conflict over land and ethnic rivalries appears throughout The Night Soldiers. Who travels? Who stays behind? In what ways are individuals and nations motivated by their ability to conquer land? What is their effect on other individuals and their lives? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Both Khristov and Robert are important characters that influence each other and Soviet spy operations.
Part 1) Compare Khristov to Robert. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What psychological purpose or insight does Khristov offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) Robert offers revealing intelligence that is used later by Soviet agents. What is implied in this choice?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)