|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are involved in an attack upon the deserted Finnish Embassy?
2. Who has to take photos of the Soviet tanks entering Madrid?
3. What animal gets in between the legs of militia men, prompting Khristo and his brother to laugh?
4. Who introduced the idea of having marches to the Bulgarian National Union?
5. After what event is the family that owns the property in Spain visited by Soviets come under house arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Andres allowed to still work in San Ximene?
2. What does Faye do when she sees the blue light lantern?
3. How is Sascha lured to Moscow and tortured by Soviets?
4. How is Khristo born to be a spy?
5. What does Kulic do when he receives a note to kill four of his men?
6. Why was Andres' plan to bomb an armory foiled?
7. How is Faye described in Chapter 2?
8. Why is Khristo frustrated with Lubin, his new partner?
9. How does Antipin become popular amidst the Bulgarian locals and win their respect?
10. How does Khristo escape torture in Moscow by pleading with Bloch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the espionage techniques of the five spies, Khristo, Sascha, Robert, Ilya, and Drazen. How does each approach his work and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually enjoys his work and why?
Essay Topic 2
Furst uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Night Soldiers is a military fiction novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)