|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kulic instructed to kill by the Soviet embassy political officer?
2. Who is the American that has come to fight with the resistance in Madrid?
3. Who is Sascha's supervisor that calls Khristo in Moscow?
4. After what event is the family that owns the property in Spain visited by Soviets come under house arrest?
5. In what town in Spain do the Soviets arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sascha lured to Moscow and tortured by Soviets?
2. Why is Khristo frustrated with Lubin, his new partner?
3. Why do the locals make fun of the hats of the military officers in Bulgaria in 1934 only in private?
4. How is Faye described in Chapter 2?
5. What happens when an old fisherman appear at the house that burned in Vidin?
6. Why is Andres allowed to still work in San Ximene?
7. What does Kulic do when he receives a note to kill four of his men?
8. What do the spy students learn at Belov?
9. How does Khristo and his friends in Madrid escape Matsaev but get captured?
10. What does Faye do when she sees the blue light lantern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the espionage techniques of the five spies, Khristo, Sascha, Robert, Ilya, and Drazen. How does each approach his work and whether their intuitions were correct. Who actually enjoys his work and why?
Essay Topic 2
Appearances can be deceiving. Describe the progression of your knowledge as a reader into the characters of the espionage agents. Which characters reveal the theme of appearances can be deceiving most?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in France and the rest of Europe during World War II when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have, if any?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)