|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what event is the family that owns the property in Spain visited by Soviets come under house arrest?
2. Where are the Soviets sending engineers?
3. What is the small town that has been cleaned of its residents to allow spy training in Russia?
4. When someone removed a blue lantern signal, what could not be bombed?
5. What ultimately happens to the four people that Kulic tried to avoid killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antipin become popular amidst the Bulgarian locals and win their respect?
2. What does Kulic do when he receives a note to kill four of his men?
3. What does Khristo learn along the way to Moscow with Antipin?
4. How is Sascha lured to Moscow and tortured by Soviets?
5. What happens when an old fisherman appear at the house that burned in Vidin?
6. What do the spy students learn at Belov?
7. What does Faye do when she sees the blue light lantern?
8. What is the significance of the code BF 825?
9. How do the Soviets discover Kulic's merciful act and what happens to him subsequently?
10. Why do the locals make fun of the hats of the military officers in Bulgaria in 1934 only in private?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for the novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Furst choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Furst describes murder in numerous instances. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result?
Essay Topic 3
Furst uses more than one iteration on the theme of betrayal. Identify at least two themes about betrayal in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)